Good NEWS for Star Wars Episode IX

By splad, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

22 minutes ago, Rodrigo Istalindir said:

Say what you will about the prequels

I'm actually a big fan of the prequels...not the dialogue and that stuff, but the world-building and visualization. I think the world-building is why we are still here today (despite all the nerd rage) and what has given the franchise its durability.

20 hours ago, Desslok said:

So yeah, Rotten Tomatoes is not proof of a good movie either.

Rotten Tomatoes is the least reliable source for me to decide whether to bother with a movie. I like a good drama, but I also like the occasional Underworld, because ... vampires and werewolves, of course! It has nothing to do with Kate Beckinsdale in tight leather! Nothing! :unsure:

I feel like JJ Abrams can direct a camera really well. The Star Trek films and TFA all look really great. Visuals are top notch. Is that his doing, or coincidence? No idea.

Dialogue is pretty good as well, which is an improvement over the prequels.

I like Finn, Rey, and Poe, and I think the actors all do good work. For all the controversy around the character, I think Adam Driver delivered a solid performance.

But I don't have much hope for the actual storytelling.

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

I feel like JJ Abrams can direct a camera really well. The Star Trek films and TFA all look really great. Visuals are top notch. Is that his doing, or coincidence? No idea.

Dialogue is pretty good as well, which is an improvement over the prequels.

I like Finn, Rey, and Poe, and I think the actors all do good work. For all the controversy around the character, I think Adam Driver delivered a solid performance.

But I don't have much hope for the actual storytelling.

I agree with much of what you said and i think he has to take bold steps to deliver a 'new' star wars movie than one that bears some similarity in context to the other saga stories. I think we all demand this of him. The bar for the OT is very high. Lets see what happens. But i remain hopefully.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, splad said:

JJ Abrahms is finishing out the new trilogy:) After the fallout of Colin Trevorrow I am sure this will please many Star Wars Fans who don't want the crisis that the Han Solo movie went through. Good times:)

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/JJ_Abrams_to_Write_And_Direct_Star_Wars_Episode_IX_175845.asp

I have a bad feeling about this.

I was hoping for something to dethrone Endor as my favorite movie multifront battle with a space fleet action. I don't think Abrams can deliver that. Based on his two Star Trek movies he can't even do decent battles between two capital ships much less doing a good battle between two fleets.

George Lucas has said, he made the films for 12 year olds(to enjoy), not so that adults can debate over its artistic merit, or rehash of plots etc. TFA is in the same vein.

And I'm worried about Episode 8 after the mess with the TFA script!

It should have been great but d**n the thing about the Prequels and Lucas is that he needed someone to say No to him but even then we have no idea if it would have improved that trilogy!

TFA just needed to tighten the script keep Poe involved so he recognises the Falcon, thus contacts Han who turns up to pick them up!

SKB is a prototype Death Star whose main weapon actually recharges it's hyperdrive thus devastating anything passing between it and the system's sun.

Not that galaxy spanning c**p!

Leia narrowly escaped certain death leaving the system shortly before SKB turns up as she travels to Takodana as Kylo captures Rey during the FO's pursuit!

Han, Chewie & Finn pursue Kylo aboard the Falcon both ships crash-land on the arriving SKB, Rey escapes during the confusion runs into the others as they have to disable the shield before they can flee offworld.

Poe and the recruits from Maz's Castle fight back against the FO, Han is killed by Kylo but they manage to disable the shield and Poe's Wraith Squadron disables SKB's Hyperdrive Recharger forcing the First Order to flee.

The point about destroying the NR Capital is to leave the Senate in the hands of surviving Senators who are First Order Loyalists who promptly blame the Resistance otherwise no problem with the film ending!

Sorry I really ought to get over that!?

Edited by copperbell