New Core Set

By Zetan, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I've been out of the game for a few cycles. I have a couple friends in the same boat. 3 out of 4 of us that I've talked to about it are curious to start back up with the rotation and the new core set.

Obviously it's a pretty small sample size I'm working with, but that has been our knee-jerk reaction. Rotation alone? Whatever, there's a handful of really impactful cards in the first two cycles, but nothing that will fundamentally change the game. But the new core? We're now looking at rotating out Kate, Noise, Core HB, Desperado, Account Siphon, Corroder, Yog, SanSan, Astroscript, Breaking News, Scorched Earth, and Accelerated Beta Test. Some others, too, but those are most of the impactful ones. And just... wow. I have a hard time imagining what that metagame will look like, but I can't wait to find out. This is like getting a fresh new game, and I have to admit to being really interested.

I think the new core set was the best decision they've made in a long time. If my (again, limited sample size) experience is any indication, it will start to grab some old players back into the game. And with excitement buzzing about a new entry point to the game, new players might start to pay attention too. At this point, you can be super transparent when getting a new player into the game what they should buy... start with a core, figure out what factions you like, buy the boxes with those factions in them. Then as you discover cards you like but don't own, you can buy the packs with those cards. No need to go full-on investment into owning everything, or even everything that's tournament-legal... just the stuff you want.

I agree. The new Core has essentially turned Rotation into a soft reboot of Netrunner. And, the new Core means new and rewritten rules to go with it.

I'm guessing at bare minimum they fold as much of the Q&A into the rules text as possible, and they may take this opportunity to do some minor rules tweaks.

My plan right now is to get my deluxe sets separated from the packs and then get a new Core to put with the Deluxes.

Good day to be a Netrunner player!

Will the new core be compatible with Terminal Directive?

2 minutes ago, Union said:

Don't see any reason why not. Technically Terminal Directive is compatible with any set of cards you decide to play it with. I'm personally planning to play it with the new core as our card pool when I finally dig into it. Bought it when it came out with the intention of playing but never actually got around to it.

15 hours ago, Union said:

Actually, this is a good question for campaign play in Terminal Directive since it seems the core is thinner? For normal play it has no impact on terminal directive.

Okay, I understand only including 1 copy of the identities but really, having people buy three copies of the core to have a full play set of everything, FFG WTF? Seriously this is the stupidest way to get new people into the game. Way not to grow one of your products.

I do like the new art work and how the runner characters have aged. Only 1 identity each seems so thin though compare to what was available before.

Yes the new Core is 100% compatible with everything. In fact they even have the card list online so if you already have the cards you don't need to rebuy the Core.

As to which cards are in it is actually well thought out. They bounced the problematic identities (especially Noise) which was needed (as was bouncing problematic cards like Account Siphon). And the "three copies" spiel is getting tiresome - like it or not FFG is not going to create a special card pack just for the handful of completionists out there.

Does anyone know if all of the cards are going to have alt art or is it just the IDs?

From some of the images they show, it seems old art is used quite a bit.

Per some of the YouTiube shows there are other cards either getting brand new art or switching to their promo card art. They specifically mentioned Datasucker.