Citadel washes and water

By Moeaswordusrex, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

So I used citadel paints for the first time recently as well as their washes, and I was just wandering if anyone else thins them with water? Is it a common practice among you? I find that if I don't, it darkens the over all figure too much, which at time is very useful, but adding a little water to the washes seems to help it find the nooks and crannies of a model better.

Usually no. I have used them for several years but is by no means a great painter mind you, but I do good enough.

When painting IA figures I did it for the first time. Never on my warhammer fantasy figures and I have a couple of hundreds painted.

I only take a big or small amount of wash on the brush to get it darker were I want it

I rarely put washes over a complete area of a model or on a whole figure. I rather paint the washes into the recesses I want to darken, so I have absolute control over where they go. If you want to thin shades or acrylic colours, I can only urge you not to use water, because the result can look messy once everything dries due to the high surface tension of water. Rather use a clear thinner-medium like Lahmian Medium from Citadel - the result will be much more pleasing and smooth.

1 hour ago, Fourtytwo said:

I rarely put washes over a complete area of a model or on a whole figure. I rather paint the washes into the recesses I want to darken, so I have absolute control over where they go. If you want to thin shades or acrylic colours, I can only urge you not to use water, because the result can look messy once everything dries due to the high surface tension of water. Rather use a clear thinner-medium like Lahmian Medium from Citadel - the result will be much more pleasing and smooth.

Aye I had wondered about using medium, cheers for the info.

Hey buddy ive used the washes since release and it works just fine with water I've done it loads.

Something else worth using is varnish, and if you want to shave a few pennies of your costs, try the army painter tones I use those in preference ;)

I used water now and then, seemed ok, then I finally picked up some lahmian medium. Much better mix and worth picking up anyway, as you can also make glazes with it.

5 hours ago, 54NCH32 said:

I used water now and then, seemed ok, then I finally picked up some lahmian medium. Much better mix and worth picking up anyway, as you can also make glazes with it.

Aye, after looking into it Lahmian medium seems to be quite useful.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:17 AM, Fourtytwo said:

This

I am a brand new painter and I can see a difference in the ability to work the paint and how it rest on the model, when a medium is used vs regular water