Maul and Skipping Activations

By dietz057, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Genuine question here that may have been answered somewhere else:

If I'm able to skip Maul's activation using Take Initiative or Change of Plans, will he survive until the next round no matter how much damage he's taken? Thanks!

Maul.png.a22f4671acbaff3ee60408bef81d00c3.png 59af4f1516e46_ChangeofPlans.png.6fb52cc8fa19cac7f55818fff4a01ec5.png 59af4f23dc355_TakeInitiative.png.d8af31999e4cb473c61af3e0c0e87721.png

That's a good question. You exhaust a card to signify that it has activated, but in this case you haven't really resolved an activation. So it depends on whether exhaust counts as resolving the activation, which isn't clear to me in the RRG.

In advance, I'd say I agree with a1bert :-)

-ryanjamal

You exhaust your deployment card at the start of the activation. They are separate game effects so you can skip Maul's turn all day long. That is actually a really cool interaction I had not considered, so thank you for bringing that up :-)

I think the answer should be yes - Maul will survive

The wording specifically says "If not X, then not Y"

So if you haven't satisfied the condition of "you have resolved an activation this round " then we say "yep you can't be defeated"

Exhausting the deployment card (ex. Take initiative) means you can't activate this round , hence the condition for X have not yet been satisfied

Unless of course you use cards like Change of Plan to ready/gets to re-activate an already exhausted (Maul) deployment card, then you do get to go this round (and condition for X will be satisfied)

The wording seems deliberately not to be "if your deployment card is ready", so only actually resolving an activation counts.

4 hours ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

You exhaust your deployment card at the start of the activation.

Actually, as far as the rules are concerned, at the end of the activation. Most people still rotate cards at the beginning.

Edited by a1bert
9 hours ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

You exhaust your deployment card at the start of the activation. They are separate game effects so you can skip Maul's turn all day long. That is actually a really cool interaction I had not considered, so thank you for bringing that up :-)

Warning, some really stupid strats are incoming.

I think Maul is going to be one of the more interesting figures in the game. Shenanigans will be pulled. Once Maul is defeated, he can be moved into position by some IOs or command cards such as opportunistic/field tactician/reposition/on a mission. Then he can be ordered to attack by Jabba or the emperor. All without spending an activation.

My question with Change of Plans, is do you have to ready another figure? If you have to, the inherent limitation on this might be that there just aren't any figures worth bringing to reactivate. He's a force user and a brawler, so he can reactivate ObiWan, Diala, and Davith. With the brawler trait, he has a few more options, but not particularly good ones. Nexus, Tusken Raiders, rDoshans, rPigs, and rWampa. That could change depending on how useful the riot troopers end up, but I'm not sold on them yet.

5 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

I think Maul is going to be one of the more interesting figures in the game. Shenanigans will be pulled. Once Maul is defeated, he can be moved into position by some IOs or command cards such as opportunistic/field tactician/reposition/on a mission. Then he can be ordered to attack by Jabba or the emperor. All without spending an activation.

Palpatine and Maul could prove pretty annoying for sure.

don't forget maul can use parting blow

2 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

don't forget maul can use parting blow

But if stunned, Maul can't be moved or made to attack either. Yet, does make for some situational shenanigans.

3 minutes ago, wannabepudge said:

But if stunned, Maul can't be moved or made to attack either. Yet, does make for some situational shenanigans.

I think what @MadFuhrer is trying to say is if you don't have Jabba to order extra attacks but Maul has already suffered dmg >= his health, he can use parting blow

Parting-blow-1-

ex. Maul haven't activated but is already damaged beyond belief, enemy figure comes over, Maul use parting blow and is stunned

Maul then activate, 1st action get rid of stun, 2nd action attack (maybe choose Reach to compensate the loss of movement points: If Maul didn't use PB then Maul could have moved -> attack), then dies

wouldnt Maul be destroyed at the beginning of his activation, if he has more wounds than health?

48 minutes ago, Jarema said:

wouldnt Maul be destroyed at the beginning of his activation, if he has more wounds than health?

No, only after resolving his activation. He has not resolved an activation this round until he has resolved an activation this round. (Otherwise, what's the point of Sustained by Rage?)

(Btw, a figure cannot suffer damage over his Health. The only case when a figure has suffered damage over his health is when the Health is reduced, and that can happen very seldom. Also, for figures the term is defeated, for objects destroyed.)

Edited by a1bert

ah, of course. My bad.

By wounds I mean wound tokens. I assume Maul can still get a lot of them, more than his health

35 minutes ago, Jarema said:

ah, of course. My bad.

By wounds I mean wound tokens. I assume Maul can still get a lot of them, more than his health

No, the tokens represent damage, and you can't take damage over your health.

-ryanjamal

12 minutes ago, ryanjamal said:

-ryanjamal

Meaning that if someone were to heal Maul or if he were to recover even one wound during his activation, he would survive to sustain his rage again. Brb, building an infini-Maul army...

6 minutes ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

Meaning that if someone were to heal Maul or if he were to recover even one wound during his activation, he would survive to sustain his rage again. Brb, building an infini-Maul army...

Except he can't recover health. If there were some way for him to increase his health, that would work. Either way, I'm excited!

-ryanjamal

5 minutes ago, ryanjamal said:

Except he can't recover health. If there were some way for him to increase his health, that would work. Either way, I'm excited!

-ryanjamal

Whoops forgot that part. My dreams die as quickly as

Maul himself.

Edited by ThatJakeGuy
Spoiler tag
4 hours ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

Whoops forgot that part. My dreams die as quickly as

Maul himself.

But don't you know he lasted a really long time after that? I think that's what they're going for with the ability :)

4 hours ago, ryanjamal said:

-ryanjamal

This brings up a question for me.

So, once Maul has suffered damage up to his health, he won't be able to suffer any more damage. If Maul is attacked, and doesn't suffer damage, will he be able to receive a condition from an attack? Example, Can you attack Maul when he's sustained by rage with a Rebel Sab to inflict the Stun condition? If he can't suffer a damage from the attack, I'm leaning towards you not being able to inflict a condition on him either. Thoughts?

Potentially Relevant rules

RRG- Damage section:

• A figure cannot suffer (Damage) in excess of its Health. Any (Damage) over
this amount has no effect.

RRG- Condition section:
- The target of the attack must suffer one or more (Damage) for the
condition to apply.

If a figure has suffered damage equal to their Health, they can no longer suffer damage, and thus not receive conditions from condition keywords. The figure could still receive conditions from abilities that give conditions directly. ( 0-0-0 's Invasive Procedure and Shocking Palm .)

This has come up before with Parting Shot and Slow on the Draw interaction. (And probably in the previous Maul threads.)

Edited by a1bert

Also important to clarify damage w/ Maul in rare cases of 2nd Tiebreaker scenarios- no bullying Maul w/ excess damage! But does it mean if zero health Maul must take strain as discarding cards? Or take damage but it isnt visible?

3 hours ago, Masterchiefspiff said:

But don't you know he lasted a really long time after that? I think that's what they're going for with the ability :)

A really long time after what? I'm trying to protect Rebels spoilers, not Phantom Menace spoilers ?

In skirmish figures suffer strain as damage instead. You may cancel the damage by discarding equal number of command cards from the top of the deck.

When an opponent causes Maul to suffer strain, I don't think there is any interpretation issues there due to the order of things.

If Maul has suffered damage equal to his Health, activating abilities with a strain cost would not work without discarding a command card though , because he would not be able to pay the cost by suffering damage. (There's a ruling for a campaign mission where Leia cannot suffer damage. She also cannot voluntarily suffer strain, because non-heroes suffer strain as damage instead.)

Edited by a1bert