New player advice

By Gunslinger83, in General Discussion

Hey guys,

Myself and a friend just recently got into Thrones 2.0. My main game is Lord of the Rings LCG (been playing for 6 years and own almost all content) and I wanted to branch out into a competitive game for a change of pace. Being new to Thrones 2.0 but an old hand to FFG LCGs, here are my questions:

1. The obvious, what to buy when? I already went ahead and bought 2 core sets from the get go because I know how FFG works....whether it's an LCG or X-Wing..one core set is always just half the game meant to be a teaser. Beyond that, I haven't purchased any other content. What order do you guys recommend buying content? How necessary is a third core set? I normally don't mind buying 2 but it hurts to have to buy 3.

2. What are some great community resources for new players? I could really care less about tournament scenes, but am really interested in deckbuilding and strategy discussion. Any good blogs and podcasts?...especially for beginners with a small card pool learning the basics?

3. I've been a bit overwhelmed having 8 factions (Lord of the Rings only has 4!). Could somebody describe to me each house in a nutshell, how good they are, what makes them fun to play, and what their downsides are?

4. Any good link threads for this forum with some good indepth strategy discussions for newbies?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gunslinger83
3 hours ago, Gunslinger83 said:

Hey guys,

Myself and a friend just recently got into Thrones 2.0. My main game is Lord of the Rings LCG (been playing for 6 years and own almost all content) and I wanted to branch out into a competitive game for a change of pace. Being new to Thrones 2.0 but an old hand to FFG LCGs, here are my questions:

1. The obvious, what to buy when? I already went ahead and bought 2 core sets from the get go because I know how FFG works....whether it's an LCG or X-Wing..one core set is always just half the game meant to be a teaser. Beyond that, I haven't purchased any other content. What order do you guys recommend buying content? How necessary is a third core set? I normally don't mind buying 2 but it hurts to have to buy 3.

2. What are some great community resources for new players? I could really care less about tournament scenes, but am really interested in deckbuilding and strategy discussion. Any good blogs and podcasts?...especially for beginners with a small card pool learning the basics?

3. I've been a bit overwhelmed having 8 factions (Lord of the Rings only has 4!). Could somebody describe to me each house in a nutshell, how good they are, what makes them fun to play, and what their downsides are?

4. Any good link threads for this forum with some good indepth strategy discussions for newbies?

Thanks in advance.

1) Depends on how competitive you want to (try to) be at the start. Three cores are ultimately necessary since almost all faction cards and good neutral cards are 1-per-core. This is different from LOTR LCG in that the LOTR Core had some 1-ofs, some 3-ofs, but mostly 2-ofs.

2) Try the Cardgamedb forum, but really most discussion is done on the AGOT 2.0 Facebook group.

3) There are some threads about this in the aforementioned Cardgamedb forum linked in it's FAQ.

4) This forum? Again, no; Cardgamedb and Facebook are where it's at.

Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback.

I'm really not that interested in tournaments, but I do want to be able to build cohesive and functional decks. I had absolutely no problem buying a second core because 2 of every plot and extra tokens are almost always welcome, lot's of value there still. A third core is difficult because a lot less value than a second as far as I can tell. How essential is it to have 3x vs. 2x of most of the core set cards? Can you still run pretty good decks with 2x core cards and 3x house expansion cards? Also, what would you recommend the next purchases be?

Interesting that Thrones 2.0 players use cardgamedb rather a Thrones specific db site? Ringsdb is pretty much the center of the LOTR:LCG universe.

42 minutes ago, Gunslinger83 said:

Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback.

I'm really not that interested in tournaments, but I do want to be able to build cohesive and functional decks. I had absolutely no problem buying a second core because 2 of every plot and extra tokens are almost always welcome, lot's of value there still. A third core is difficult because a lot less value than a second as far as I can tell. How essential is it to have 3x vs. 2x of most of the core set cards? Can you still run pretty good decks with 2x core cards and 3x house expansion cards? Also, what would you recommend the next purchases be?

Interesting that Thrones 2.0 players use cardgamedb rather a Thrones specific db site? Ringsdb is pretty much the center of the LOTR:LCG universe.

Thronesdb.com is a thing, but discussion happens mostly at the Facebook group. The CGDB forum was used only because 1.0 Edition players decided to stay there instead of come back here when 2.0 came out.

Yes, you really want that third core. Imagine not being able to play 3 copies of Test of Will or Feint because you only have 2.