Differences ?

By goncardoso, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

Look, I hate (don't hate) to be That Guy, but if you've never played WEG D6, maybe don't buy this system ahead of people who have and want the 30th anniversary edition. It's unsupported for one, because it's a dead line that they're bringing back one book of in order to basically make $ on nostalgia. Which, as a person in need of parting with $ for nostalgia for my second ever RPG after AD&D, I am ok with.

But there's already strange people who buy WEG books just to look at art, fluff, and stats they cannot possible comprehend because they're not gamers.

Also, quite frankly, the FFG system is just better. It has the advantage of not being d20, and of wanting to be a spiritual successor to D6 WEG. It can learn from WEG's mistakes, in many regards, and there's nothing quite like having to roll 12d6 and tally it up over a few rounds to suck the pace out of combat.

If you're new, FFG RPG.

If you're a crankly old fart, screaming get off my lawn at EU fans who haven't learned the EU is dead, never coming back, and had it coming - this book, except you probably won't play it. You'll just slot it in next to the 18 or so sourcebook you have, and wonder why you bought. Like the consolidated Thrawn Trilogy SB after you already had the HTTH, DFR, and TLC sourcebooks. And so on.

For a while now I have had a dream of marrying 1e WEG an the NDS. I really like the openness and flexibility of 1e WEG, such as creating your own alien species on the spot. I also really like the NDS but don't like a lot of other things that come with FFG SW (e.g. two health tracks, careers/specs/talents).

26 minutes ago, fjw70 said:

For a while now I have had a dream of marrying 1e WEG an the NDS. I really like the openness and flexibility of 1e WEG, such as creating your own alien species on the spot. I also really like the NDS but don't like a lot of other things that come with FFG SW (e.g. two health tracks, careers/specs/talents).

True allot to not like about the FFG system i don't like talent trees and careers to much like mmo cookie cutter characters. But despite some FFG hardcore SW players D6 is alive and well and has survived all these years with fan support. It is the perfect system to explore with ease of character creation and freedom of skill set. Throwing in talents, trees and narrative dice maybe different but it does not make it better. I and many others hope the 30th year ed is not just another joyless cash grab, who knows.

1 hour ago, fjw70 said:

We don't know a lot about GeneSys at the moment, but you might find it more to your liking. We do know they still have the Two-Health track* and talents. Beyond that, we don't know much else.

*wanna get rid of that? Combine add the two pools together and when you would normally subtract from or add to one, do it to the new amount instead

4 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

We don't know a lot about GeneSys at the moment, but you might find it more to your liking. We do know they still have the Two-Health track* and talents. Beyond that, we don't know much else.

*wanna get rid of that? Combine add the two pools together and when you would normally subtract from or add to one, do it to the new amount instead

I am looking forward to Genesys.

57 minutes ago, splad said:

True allot to not like about the FFG system i don't like talent trees and careers to much like mmo cookie cutter characters. But despite some FFG hardcore SW players D6 is alive and well and has survived all these years with fan support. It is the perfect system to explore with ease of character creation and freedom of skill set. Throwing in talents, trees and narrative dice maybe different but it does not make it better. I and many others hope the 30th year ed is not just another joyless cash grab, who knows.

Obviously better is subjective, but but combining WEG and NDS wouldn't change WEG's " ease of character creation and freedom of skill set" IMO.

On 01/09/2017 at 8:43 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

technically, "Don Wan Kihotay", and the Quixotic Jedi template were based upon Don Quixote .

I was going to say that the quixotic jedi was prior to the comic iirc as it was also in the first release of the rpg , I was going to play a quixotic jedi, but then decided on a custom alien maurader type.

I was in a Star Wars mood this weekend so instead of running my normal D&D kids game for my sons (ages 8,11, and 16) and three of my middle sons friends I ran the EotE Beginner box scenario for them. They loved the NDS, and of course Star Wars.

They want to keep the game going so I will try out my hybrid FFG/WEG Star Wars RPG. Still hammering out details but it is just basically the attributes and skills from FFG (I may tweak the skill list) without using things like talents and strain. For the Force there will be the three WEG Force skills (control, sense, and alter) and any Force power will use two of those skills to generate a NDS dice pool.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:18 AM, syrath said:

I was going to say that the quixotic jedi was prior to the comic iirc as it was also in the first release of the rpg ,

The first comic featuring Don-Wan Kihotay was released by Marvel in 1978. The first edition of the WEG RPG was released in 1987.

(The Marvel Star Wars comicbook series ended with issue #107 in late '86. Just fyi.)

Edited by Harlock999

One thing which I miss a lot from the WEG "Star Wars RPG", and which I found lacking in nowadays RPGs are the "tongue-in-cheek" way in which WEG explained the game rules to the readers. The Failed Jedi using the Survival skill to find some way to get drunk (because alcohol is a vital necessity for him). The descriptions of how much a character knows about something based in the level of a relevant skill (with examples going from "I know space as the palm of my hand" to "No! It's bad to open an airlock while you're in space! The air goes out! Fwoooshh! Got it?"). And I think that the chapter about Gamemastering should be required lecture for any Game Master ("Players will be players!").

On 07/10/2017 at 1:27 PM, splad said:

Totally agree with everything you've said,

i bought age of rebellion, hoped for the best, but didn't like it (and stopped buying the line) for all the same reasons you've stated,

But I did preorder 3 copies of the 30th..

i prefer the freedom of the d6 system over the constraints of the current game,

That said, Star Wars d6 never went away, contrary to rumour it's not frozen in carbonite, but alive and kicking out on the rim,