House rule for daggers.

By player1465698, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Reposted from the old forum.

Melee attacks with daggers can use either a heroes melee trait, or their ranged trait. ie. Ranged heroes can use daggers (of whatever treasure level) as adeptly as they can bows.

Makes a degree of thematic sense, based on the large proportion of ranged heroes wielding daggers in their pictures, and gives a much needed boost to both ranged heroes , and also to daggers. Consider and accept/reject at your leisure .

Now, this sparked off quite a heated debate last time as to whether it was a, realistic and b, remotely useful. I couldn't care less whether it's realistic. As to whether it's useful, my reasoning:

-I generally like my house rules to be simple and not to affect things much. This doesn't. That's a good thing.

- Ranged weapons are the slowest to convert surges to damage. Especially in RtL. At copper level the two surges=1 damage is frustrating to a hero with multiple ranged trait upgrades. With 4 black dice, the knuckle dagger looks better than the copper bow at close range.

-There's better odds of getting a useful treasure. A silver dagger is always better than a copper ranged weapon.

- Some monsters have enough armour to ignore most ranged weapons. At least with a dagger you can get a bleed.... (doesn't help this house-rule, but another reason a ranged hero might want to carry one)

-Feats.... There are a lot of ranged heroes with one fighting skill. If you pick sweep or follow through.... a dagger might be worth that 25 gold.

that sounds good, as dagger are usually weak at every level, unless used as off hand (but with the morningstar, they are not even that great as offhand anymore).

We do the same thing. Of course ranged characters would have daggers or any small melee weapon of the sort. They need something for up close if the situation comes to it. I'm not gonna tell Ronan to use the Dwarf Bombs if he has a BeastMan scratching at his throat. Unless he can manage to shove one down it's throat that is. happy.gif

inle_badger said:

Reposted from the old forum.
Melee attacks with daggers can use either a heroes melee trait, or their ranged trait. ie. Ranged heroes can use daggers (of whatever treasure level) as adeptly as they can bows.

Is this a player created house rule or was this posted by KW/FFG?

I like this idea, it gives daggers some utility. Most of the time, my melee heroes prefer a shop axe over a copper dagger.

Rednek said:

Is this a player created house rule or was this posted by KW/FFG?

Ok, I read the title of the post.... It's dangerous to post before coffee.