Only $100 of Crossbowmans Needed for this List

By Wraithist, in Runewars List Building

I think Hawthorne and the Rune Golem can act as blockers for the xbow units, while the 4 wide unit of cavalry sets off as quickly as possible to line up a charge against their biggest unit. Use the xbowmans to finish off anything tied up by Golem and Hawthorne, then when the cavalry dies, I'm sure they will have taken out enough Latari/Waiqar/EvilDaqan in order to make it a turkey shoot for the xbowmans. Probably send Hawthorne against the enemy's fastest unit so it can't tie up the big block of xbowmans.

What do you lot think?

List Name:
HotCrossBows

Faction: Daqan Points: 199/200

Name Cost
Lord Hawthorne
Number of Trays: 1 34
UpgradeIconSm1.png Reaping Blade 4
UpgradeIconSm8.png Might of Daqan 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 42
Heavy Crossbowmen
Number of Trays: 6 48
UpgradeIconSm2.png Greyhaven Channeler 6
UpgradeIconSm3.png Wind Rune 6
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 60
Heavy Crossbowmen
Number of Trays: 3 27
UpgradeIconSm3.png Wind Rune 6
UpgradeIconSm6.png Rallying Cornicen 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 37
Oathsworn Cavalry
Number of Trays: 4 34
UpgradeIconSm3.png Tempered Steel 3
UpgradeIconSm5.png Raven Tabards 2
UpgradeIconSm7.png Rank Discipline 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 43
Rune Golems
Number of Trays: 1 17
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 17

You and those wind runes... Glad you've moved to Latari and you could always proxy the crossbowmen...

Oh shoot I forgot to put Moment of Inspiration on the crossbowmans so I can cheat again!

False advertisement, it's actually $125 on crossbowmen...

125+ tax?, 140.

For starters, I think you'd be really well served finding two points to upgrade Hawthorne's Reaping Blade to a Shield of Margath. The Blade pretty seriously ups his damage against hard targets, but the Shield totally changes his game. Against a lot of targets, attacking him becomes a bad idea, so he tarpits and blocks like mad.

I'd be interested to hear how the Wind Runes treat you! If they can help stay within range 3 for the mortal wound trigger would be real neat. Ranked Discipline on the 3x1 Crossbows would be nice.

I think you might find that the Heavy Crossbowmen are lacking damage output. A six tray unit with your upgrades averages less than two hits on an attack, including the reroll. They seem to be more suited for sniping high armor targets, or, most likely, as a distraction unit and objective grabber

12 hours ago, Click5 said:

I think you might find that the Heavy Crossbowmen are lacking damage output. A six tray unit with your upgrades averages less than two hits on an attack, including the reroll. They seem to be more suited for sniping high armor targets, or, most likely, as a distraction unit and objective grabber

Interesting comment. Their Red+Blue is on par with Reanimate Archers and Spearmen. To push a lot of damage with Crossbowmen, they really want Tempered Steel due to their free Surge modifier. But wind rune may allow them to stay alive longer, and a unit in play always does more damage than a destroyed one.

Edited by Contrapulator
17 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

For starters, I think you'd be really well served finding two points to upgrade Hawthorne's Reaping Blade to a Shield of Margath. The Blade pretty seriously ups his damage against hard targets, but the Shield totally changes his game. Against a lot of targets, attacking him becomes a bad idea, so he tarpits and blocks like mad.

I'd be interested to hear how the Wind Runes treat you! If they can help stay within range 3 for the mortal wound trigger would be real neat. Ranked Discipline on the 3x1 Crossbows would be nice.

I like this. I usually lean towards Reaping Blade for the cheap damage output, but if Hawthorne's armor is at 5, then that's a huge gamble trying to attack him.

Totally worth the 2 xtra points.

12 hours ago, Click5 said:

That's what the big unit of Cav is for! Use Hawthorne to make them a 4 wide and between him and the Cav, that's a massive amount of damage output. Especially if I use Shield of Margath instead of Reaping Blade on Hawthorne like @Bhelliom said.

17 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Interesting comment. Their Red+Blue is on par with Reanimate Archers and Spearmen. To push a lot of damage with Crossbowmen, they really want Tempered Steel due to their free Surge modifier. But wind rune may allow them to stay alive longer, and a unit in play always does more damage than a destroyed one.

I agree. I really like your list where you had the three separate units of xbowmans but I don't know if I could fit them into this list... Hard choice between Tempered Steel and Wind Rune. I've found that Wind Rune can really cause havoc with the enemy's plans if you work around small terrain to make charges hard or impossible, while shelling out damage AND moving each turn.

Oops sorry, the list i was looking at was the one right under this thread made by @Glucose98

Lots of blockers and 3 units of 3x1 Xbowmans.

23 minutes ago, Contrapulator said: