How many core boxes do I need?

By DerBaer, in Star Wars: Legion

So except for Vader and Luke, there will be no figure I can't play when I buy three boxes?

1 minute ago, DerBaer said:

Just to be sure ... that's three units of two speeder bikes each?

Yes. Speederbikes are 2 models per unit, but don't have any room for more bikes. The AT-RT is a single model per unit.

Myself I'm going to hold off on a 2nd core until I see what's in wave 1. Everyone will want expansions for the upgrade cards, so until we know what's in Wave 1 it's IMO anyway hard to say. There maybe other corps units in Wave 1, or special, fast and heavy that you'll want to fill out your points rather than more troopers.

18 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

So except for Vader and Luke, there will be no figure I can't play when I buy three boxes?

Well you won't be able to fit everything in a single 800 point game. But every figure beside the extra Luke and Vader can be used in certain combinations.

You can go with 6 six man troops of Stormtroopers plus Vader and some upgrades but no Speederbikes for example.

Edited by Reaver027

What I like about it is (if you don't mind sharing your toys). If I get a core box and my regular gaming buddies get a core then we just borrow forces on game nights until wave 1 gets released. :D

3 core seems silly, especially if you plan to get any expansions.

You may want to wait till Wave 1 is announced before getting more than 1 or at most 2 cores. The expansions will most likely have additional stuff you want, and if you buy 1 core and all the expansions you may have everything you need, especially for the early game. FFG may start point limits low and ramp them up after a wave or two.

8 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Yeah 3 cores is most likely a very bad idea, since FFG likes to put good upgrades in the expansion packs. That means you'll end up with models you can't actually use.

Remember this is FFG were talking about.
More than likely when the standalone boxes for the core come out there will be very good reasons to grab them via upgrades.
Literally the only reason i got a 2nd core for RWM was because when they announced the Spearmen box, there was oddly enough NOTHING in there i didnt already have they'd want. And i pawned off the waiqar side of it lol. Had i been collecting Waiqar i'd have never done that since the Reanimates box has a lot of juicy cards in there they kinda need.

Dont buy a ton of cores, otherwise you might end up with a ton of excess basic troops. Unless money isnt a problem of course and you want to actually field a Legion lol

Edited by Vineheart01
1 hour ago, kmanweiss said:

You may want to wait till Wave 1 is announced before getting more than 1 or at most 2 cores. The expansions will most likely have additional stuff you want, and if you buy 1 core and all the expansions you may have everything you need, especially for the early game. FFG may start point limits low and ramp them up after a wave or two.

Honestly i think that even 2 core sets seem like a stretch if you want to get expansions. The rules already talk about heavy vehicles and special forces. I would not be surprised to see such a units in wave 1.

6 minutes ago, Reaver027 said:

Honestly i think that even 2 core sets seem like a stretch if you want to get expansions.

Yeah, while 2 cores may be a good idea, it would only be a good deal if you actually need/want 5+ squads of both core set troopers.

2 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Yeah, while 2 cores may be a good idea, it would only be a good deal if you actually need/want 5+ squads of both core set troopers.

I need my expendable Storm Troopers, so yes.

What are the odds that unit expansions have different upgrade cards that the core set does not include? Coming from a X-wing player, I remember being upset that X-wing ship expansion and different upgrades and pilots from the one in the core set, the same going for the tie fighter.

24 minutes ago, Guest DougieFresh said:

What are the odds that unit expansions have different upgrade cards that the core set does not include? Coming from a X-wing player, I remember being upset that X-wing ship expansion and different upgrades and pilots from the one in the core set, the same going for the tie fighter.

The odds are pretty high I'd think. I believe they may be a little better about upgrades so that you don't have to buy junk you don't want for an upgrade card for the most part, but chances are the expansions will have something that sets them aside from the core version.

But, 2 cores is also extra tokens, range rulers, movement templates, barricades and dice.

Ive never seen a non stand alone FFG game that didn't benefit from 2 cores o top of wave 1 expansion.

Game of thrones, Netrunner, Star Wars LCG, x wing, armada...

Imperial assault is the only one I've gone with dice over a second core, but I don't play it much.

You need one core. Spend 3-4 weeks painting everything up, then the wave one stuff hits and you buy want you want to fill out your army. Then spend another 3-4 weeks painting everything.

Sound like the launch might be different from Runewars.

Check out this video (from 27:50 onwards):

He basically says that they want people to be able to buy entire armies right from the start.

If this is true, I might actually stick to a single core set!

20 hours ago, Heilbuth said:

Thats a big if. Runewars wave 1 was 2-3 month behind the core game

You can't wait?

Ill get two for the extra dice, templates, tokens, barriers and for extra bits for modding as needed.

After that i will go for the expansions because as mentioned, they will have different goodies.

16 hours ago, VanorDM said:

I want 6 each. And all the dice, tokens, terrain and templates at least twice.

Edited by DerBaer

I'm one of those stupid guys, that bought 4 cores of IA. And it was a really good deal, when the game was released.

Edited by DerBaer
2 hours ago, Heilbuth said:

Sound like the launch might be different from Runewars.

Check out this video (from 27:50 onwards):

He basically says that they want people to be able to buy entire armies right from the start.

If this is true, I might actually stick to a single core set!

I got the vibe like they designed this to be the tabletop wargame version of destiny.

16 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

I'm one of those stupid guys, that bought 4 cores of IA. And it was a really good deal, when the game was released.

4x4 in da good ol' days ^^

Yeah. But 2 boxes was still a valuable purchase till Jabba's Realm came out. Officers, Stormtroopers, Probe Droids, dice, tokens, ... lots of good stuff!

11 hours ago, Mep said:

You need one core. Spend 3-4 weeks painting everything up, then the wave one stuff hits and you buy want you want to fill out your army. Then spend another 3-4 weeks painting everything.

^This. I'd be very surprised if you weren't able to buy a box of generic Stormtroopers or Rebels at the same time as the Core Set is released, if for no other reason than a lot of people will want them even if they have no intention of getting into the game itself.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:15 AM, Jedirev said:

Probably 2.

The price difference, once you factor in a dice set and a movement tool set is probably negligible - and you'll have a spare Vader (to paint in Hello Kitty colours!)

IMG_1612.jpg

That or be a total nerd and paint one Vader in Episode IV colors (different button colors and red lenses with a matte helmet) and Episode V-VI colors (glossy helmet, black lenses, and different color buttons). Then just give a high five to your opponent if they ever notice the difference.

6 hours ago, Tirion said:

You can't wait?

Given that RWM had a ton of mechanics the core didnt even utilize on its own, no we couldnt wait.

Speaking purely on whats in the core, Waiqar were infinitely better because Daqan synergies relies on large units and exhaustable upgrade cards for the most part. With only 1 core, you cant do that since you dont have the numbers to even bring said upgrades. And taking so dang long for the standalones also meant you were playing the "demo" and only the "demo" until then.

I really hope they dont do that with legion. Whatever is in the core (minus characters) should be available from the start.
Already know Legion wont be suffering from the faction issue RWM has: so many people wanted Elves/Uthuk so not many were actually buying the game at all.