Uthuk Y'llan Color Schemes

By Curlycross, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Knowing the Uthuk come from a desolate and arid region. The color scheme FFG has chosen fits perfectly. Anyone have some ideas that may work well that isn't the exact same?

I'm really not a fan of the pale blue skin tones... I plan to try and paint my Uthuk with more deeply tanned flesh, made pale by the application of warpaint-like woad.

33 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I'm really not a fan of the pale blue skin tones... I plan to try and paint my Uthuk with more deeply tanned flesh, made pale by the application of warpaint-like woad.

I like the tanned look idea. Make them look more like they're from Arizona :P What I'm more curious about is the red, I think the sandy red makes so much sense as it's a great dessert color, but what else might work? Thoughts? Maybe a bright yellow?

The tanned barbarian skin could go well, as above, with a more grey bone horn in that case, I would think. Maybe black/burnt bone horns, no idea.

Maybe an Ash Grey with red tattoos or warpaint?? Like they rub their bodies with ash and paint tribal markings in a before battle ritual?

If you did ash for the skin, then maybe a pale yellow would look good for their cloth. I reallly like the red cloth and I have to disagree, I love blue skintone.

I was thinking brown skinned with obsidian weapons. Then the clothes in a colour which suits.

PdH3peH.jpg

32 minutes ago, Wraithist said:

Maybe an Ash Grey with red tattoos or warpaint?? Like they rub their bodies with ash and paint tribal markings in a before battle ritual?

If you did ash for the skin, then maybe a pale yellow would look good for their cloth. I reallly like the red cloth and I have to disagree, I love blue skintone.

I like the idea of war paint/tattoos, but you know I'm going for simplicity. I like the idea of tanned skin, make them more human than demon. Though I guess looking at the grotesque and things like that it'll be hard to say hey this is actually human. I really like how they look now, I just don't want them to look like everyone else's. Hence I would love a different paint scheme.

Anyone know an easy way to take pictures of these berserkers and change colors. ala Paint where you could just change all the colors. Obviously paint wouldn't work but that is the example I have :P

If I ever pickup the Uthuk Y'llan as a side army I'll be putting on some Agrellan Earth on their skin to get a crackle effect similar to the Ravos model. Then I'd paint them Charcoal Grey or Dark Chocolate Brown and adding some fiery veins and lava effect into the cracks to give them an over-the-top demonic look.

Kinda like this thing I found on google.

d2c6e212aa663ee3ce73f3234af3df4b.jpg d2c6e212aa663ee3ce73f3234af3df4b.jpg Greater-Fire-Elemental.jpg

Edited by Polda

If I weren't painting them canon colors, I'd do dark brown skin with orange or burnt-orange cloth.

I'm not fond of the blue-gray skin either. This is seemingly new... the Uthuk are normal flesh skin tones in Battlelore 2nd Edition and that's likely how I'll paint mine.

For my Battlelore figures, I didn't like the idea of demonic barbarians in a single color "uniform" so I mixed up their loincloths/wraps with reds, greens and purples.

1 hour ago, Daverman said:

I'm not fond of the blue-gray skin either. This is seemingly new... the Uthuk are normal flesh skin tones in Battlelore 2nd Edition and that's likely how I'll paint mine.

For my Battlelore figures, I didn't like the idea of demonic barbarians in a single color "uniform" so I mixed up their loincloths/wraps with reds, greens and purples.

But even in the BattleLore line, you could see a shift toward the lighter colors compared to Runewars (boardgame) and through the life of the BattleLore line. Compare the Viper Legion to the Blood Harvesters; the Viper Legion are clearly more pale than the Blood Harvesters, and the Blood Harvesters were already basement-nerd white. The Berserkers also looked pretty ashy to me (though the Grotesque was pretty tanned and the Obscenes had more of a yellow hue). Then BattleLore: Command came out -- which was the most recent BattleLore product featuring Uthuk Y'llan -- and we saw Malaana with her pale skin color matching the new Runewars Uthuk Y'llan color scheme perfectly. Seeing this progression, I'm really not surprised they went this route for the Uthuk. It's like the demon taint had a huge affect on them in their exile and they are returning to demonic less human than they were during the first great darkness.

@Polda , what are your thoughts on this topic? I saw your Carrion Lancers on the Facebook post... amazing!

On 9/1/2017 at 9:11 PM, Curlycross said:

@Polda , what are your thoughts on this topic? I saw your Carrion Lancers on the Facebook post... amazing!

See couple post above for a needlessly complicated idea :D

For a simple skin, after the announcement we already played around with Photoshop in the Facebook group.
Adding a heavier wash to the basic Uthuk Yllan scheme to add contrast to their skin should be a good option.
It will likely be what most people end up with if they follow some sort of an Army Painter guide, but don't thin their washes.

For a more realistic tanned look check this out. http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1310-ethnic-skintones
A person on CMON forums looked through photos online and created a set of Vallejo paints for different ethnic groups found around the world.

As for the fabric that will be very specific to the skin tone you choose. The red works with the pale blue but if you go for more human looking skin you might go for blues or teals for the fabric to create some contrast.
Paletton set to Triad should help you find a good color set if you have trouble finding colors that work well together. http://paletton.com/#uid=3000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

I am thinking about picking up Uthuk at some point so when I get some Photoshop time in I'll see if I can run the preview pics through a couple of Hue and Saturation layers.

Edit:

Or you know, ignore everything I said and go nuts. I'm on team G'kar.

hqdefault.jpg

32bf1eff8736a24ccef9e9b92bbab748--hallow

Citizen_G'kar.JPG

Lordvoldemort.jpg

Edited by Polda
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, Polda said:

See couple post above for a needlessly complicated idea :D

For a simple skin, after the announcement we already played around with Photoshop in the Facebook group.
Adding a heavier wash to the basic Uthuk Yllan scheme to add contrast to their skin should be a good option.
It will likely be what most people end up with if they follow some sort of an Army Painter guide, but don't thin their washes.

For a more realistic tanned look check this out. http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1310-ethnic-skintones
A person on CMON forums looked through photos online and created a set of Vallejo paints for different ethnic groups found around the world.

As for the fabric that will be very specific to the skin tone you choose. The red works with the pale blue but if you go for more human looking skin you might go for blues or teals for the fabric to create some contrast.
Paletton set to Triad should help you find a good color set if you have trouble finding colors that work well together. http://paletton.com/#uid=3000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

I am thinking about picking up Uthuk at some point so when I get some Photoshop time in I'll see if I can run the preview pics through a couple of Hue and Saturation layers.

Edit:

hqdefault.jpg

32bf1eff8736a24ccef9e9b92bbab748--hallow

Citizen_G'kar.JPG

Lordvoldemort.jpg

Thanks for a response (that's not super difficult :P) A bunch of Darth Maul looking guys would be interesting :P

On 9/4/2017 at 8:23 AM, Polda said:

Team G'kar all the way bro! Centauri can go f- themselves lol.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:23 AM, Polda said:

Citizen_G'kar.JPG

12 hours ago, Wraithist said:

Team G'kar all the way bro! Centauri can go f- themselves lol.

Well maybe with the exception of Abrahamo Lincolni.

I'm thinking whether you could quickly get that spotted pattern by loading paint onto a flat brush with stiff bristles and running your fingers through it like you would for blood splatter.

Some testing required.

Edited by Polda

I think a big problem with the Uthuk default skin color is that the models have too much blue. The grey isn't neutral enough and should probably be closer to white. That's my impression after looking at Kethra's model.

I think it needs to be blue, though, or else it blends in with the bone spurs. It also contrasts nicely with the red cloaks. I do think that she, in particular, looks a little too purply zombie, giving her a Waiqar undead vibe. Maybe I'm wrong.

Aren't they supposed to be from a desert? I just feel like they should be more tan.

How well will tan contrast with red? I think fairly well, perhaps clack spikes?

19 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Aren't they supposed to be from a desert? I just feel like they should be more tan.

I think that's a totally valid color scheme and matches more what the Uthuk were like during the first darkness when they were mostly barbarians. My impression is that they are a lot more cult-ish now than they used to be, and their Ynfernael magic has drained their color. Also, in my head-canon, the reason nobody was able to find the Uthuk Y'llan and eradicate them during the scourging of the wastes is because they went hiding under the ground in the Ynfernael fissures. Being underground for centuries may have accelerated a loss of skin pigment*.

*It would take way longer than centuries to have that kind of natural selection take place, which is why I think it's a combination of being underground and being tainted by the dark magic.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, Budgernaut said:

I think that's a totally valid color scheme and matches more what the Uthuk were like during the first darkness when they were mostly barbarians. My impression is that they are a lot more cult-ish now than they used to be, and their Ynfernael magic has drained their color. Also, in my head-canon, the reason nobody was able to find the Uthuk Y'llan and eradicate them during the scourging of the wastes is because they went hiding under the ground in the Ynfernael fissures. Being underground for centuries may have accelerated a loss of skin pigment*.

*It would take way longer than centuries to have that kind of natural selection take place, which is why I think it's a combination of being underground and being tainted by the dark magic.

They're also no longer human they're demonic, which is why they have their growths and being demonic may have changed their skin tone.

Getting a sunburn would change their skin tone, too.

2 hours ago, Curlycross said:

They're also no longer human they're demonic, which is why they have their growths and being demonic may have changed their skin tone.

Yeah, but they had demonic growths and flesh-colored skin during the First Darkness, too. But maybe the skin color takes longer to change than bone growths.

I'm not sure on skin tone, but I was looking at using Rucksack Tan and a Sepia wash for their loincloths. I did a desert undead army and used those on the capes. That combination looks filthy. Almost muddy filthy.

I was thinking stark white bone growths. You know, bleached by the sun and all

EDIT: Or go with dark brown/black pants, tan skin, black smudges around the eyes and silver around the mouths. Go full warboys from Fury Road. Then I get to go "witness me!" every time I sack some berserkers for Lethal 1-2

Edited by Church14