Uthuk Y'llan Color Schemes

By Curlycross, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Church14 said:

I'm not sure on skin tone, but I was looking at using Rucksack Tan and a Sepia wash for their loincloths. I did a desert undead army and used those on the capes. That combination looks filthy. Almost muddy filthy.

I was thinking stark white bone growths. You know, bleached by the sun and all

EDIT: Or go with dark brown/black pants, tan skin, black smudges around the eyes and silver around the mouths. Go full warboys from Fury Road. Then I get to go "witness me!" every time I sack some berserkers for Lethal 1-2

My like was for the edit. Warboys sounds great!!

I still can't decide on how to paint these guys. I can't decide the colors until I decide on skin tone and the FFG Uthuk skin tones are all over the map. I think darker more african tones would be really cool looking and would combine well for yellow, purple, or orange cloth. If I go for more of just a tanned look, then a lot of those still can work I'm just worried about losing the contrast. On the other hand I could go lighter like the old Uthuk but those always looked bleh. Then there's the weird colors you could do. I mean, they could always be green like orcs ;) Decisions, decisions...

Seriously though, does anyone have more suggestions on how to do the skin tone in a way that will contrast simple cloth and bone spurs. It's bugging me a lot recently that I can't figure this out.

3 hours ago, Willange said:

I still can't decide on how to paint these guys. I can't decide the colors until I decide on skin tone and the FFG Uthuk skin tones are all over the map. I think darker more african tones would be really cool looking and would combine well for yellow, purple, or orange cloth. If I go for more of just a tanned look, then a lot of those still can work I'm just worried about losing the contrast. On the other hand I could go lighter like the old Uthuk but those always looked bleh. Then there's the weird colors you could do. I mean, they could always be green like orcs ;) Decisions, decisions...

Seriously though, does anyone have more suggestions on how to do the skin tone in a way that will contrast simple cloth and bone spurs. It's bugging me a lot recently that I can't figure this out.

If you are worried about contrast it is simple, pick a skin tone and build the rest off of it. A complimentary scheme naturally gives the greatest level of contrast.

7 hours ago, Willange said:

African-like skin with orange cloth would be my choice if I weren't sticking with canon colors. I think that would be a great color combination.

An orange theme is also an option.
I am kinda set on a purple-ish skin I used for my infested TIE and A-Wing and exaggerating the weird tumors and veins. But then I also like the black and white with a little pink thrown in from Slaneesh or the blue like Trollbloods. THE OPTIONS!

4BELh4C.jpg

Group+1.JPG

Edited by Polda

Oooh I like this, I may have to do an orangish skin with black accent.

@Curlycross or you know, one of these ;-)
3PpOdF4.jpg

8c2xgm5.jpg

gFLQByw.jpg

0oFO89T.jpg

F2Z1jR6.jpg

Vl3zkb3.jpg

ZrBGalF.jpg

u7FjkVi.jpg

LofRXRi.jpg

OS8Os1i.jpg

zKYqiDi.jpg

o3PqXbw.jpg

E0CplYf.jpg

blaEyYJ.jpg

kz4dnZ5.jpg

And of course... the Teenage Mutant Ninja Berserkers.

meAH1rL.jpg

Edited by Polda

Those are all awesome

@Polda Wow. I wish I could paint that fast. :P

Edited by Parakitor
Just now, Parakitor said:

@Polda Wow. I wish I could paint that fast. :P

And I wish I could color range mask in real life :P

I'm thinking my Uthuk will basically say "red" the way the Daqan say "blue" , waiqar "purple", and the elves "green".

I know that's boring, but the board is then color coded, grabbing the right dials, future dice, future movement tools...all work.

I'm using army war paints:

I'm picking Chaotic red for the cloth, "Tanned Flesh" for the skin, there will be a lot, so dark skinned barbarian, like folks have said above.

Skeleton bone for most of the pointy bits, probably go with bone for most of those weapons and Plate mail metal for any weapons that aren't bone.

I think the Spined Threshers, will be interesting, I really don't like the pink.

I think most mouths will be dragon red with white teeth, I'm hoping the 2 reds clash, creating kind of an "ugh" feeling, in a good way.

;)

Forgot to mention, I have the paints in hand...no, I'm not at all excited or anything...

Edited by Adun42
15 hours ago, Adun42 said:

I'm thinking my Uthuk will basically say "red" the way the Daqan say "blue" , waiqar "purple", and the elves "green".

I know that's boring, but the board is then color coded, grabbing the right dials, future dice, future movement tools...all work.

You are the brimming font of creativity. :lol:

Uthuk appear to look bad an any colour scheme (then again colour shifting the stock FFG paint jobs does no favours to anything), so may as well go purple and teal for new worlds of obnoxious colours.

Edited by Darthain
3 hours ago, Adun42 said:

I think the Spined Threshers, will be interesting, I really don't like the pink.

Me neither. I'm planning to use Demonic Yellow and try my hand at blending with the red to give their bellies a fiery look to them. I have high hopes and low skill. Should be an adventure! :P

I think a sloppy airbrush will do this time around :D
Prime with the shadow color, spray from top with the highlight tone, hand paint the cloth, next.

Edited by Polda
15 minutes ago, Polda said:

I think a sloppy airbrush will do this time around :D
Prime with the shadow color, spray from top with the highlight tone, hand paint the cloth, next.

You hear that? It is the sound of no one believing you.

39 minutes ago, Darthain said:

LOL! So funny, I want to like it twice! :lol:

On 11/16/2017 at 5:38 PM, Darthain said:

Nope, nope, noooooooooepe. Not even with help am I painting another army to Waiqar standard. :D
Ravos? Yeah. The 'zerkers can suck it.

Edit: The more I am waiting for the release (still not here, wtf asmodee) the more I realise just how wrong that entire statement was. I have no agency over my own time management.

JUDGE!?

Edited by Polda
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Parakitor said:

LOL! So funny, I want to like it twice! :lol:

I would like it known, I liked it twice by liking this comment as well.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, Polda said:

Nope, nope, noooooooooepe. Not even with help am I painting another army to Waiqar standard. :D
Ravos? Yeah. The 'zerkers can suck it.

Edit: The more I am waiting for the release (still not here, wtf asmodee) the more I realise just how wrong that entire statement was. I have no agency over my own time management.

JUDGE!?

If any army deserves your utmost attention, it is Uthuk. Especially now that I'm sure you have them in hand, you realize just how true that is.

On 11/15/2017 at 3:02 PM, Polda said:

@Curlycross or you know, one of these ;-)
3PpOdF4.jpg

8c2xgm5.jpg

gFLQByw.jpg

0oFO89T.jpg

F2Z1jR6.jpg

Vl3zkb3.jpg

ZrBGalF.jpg

u7FjkVi.jpg

LofRXRi.jpg

OS8Os1i.jpg

zKYqiDi.jpg

o3PqXbw.jpg

E0CplYf.jpg

blaEyYJ.jpg

kz4dnZ5.jpg

And of course... the Teenage Mutant Ninja Berserkers.

meAH1rL.jpg

What would the rest look like as turtles though...

I think my favorite is orange cloth. Haven't decided skin I think dark for contrast

I like the red cloth... although I'm going to try for a severe sunburnt look