I had a gross idea w/ Crossbowmen

By Glucose98, in Runewars List Building

Here's the premise of the idea -- have a bunch of threat-3 crossbowmen with precise-1 and wind rune so they scatter across the board not being caught easily. The biggest issue with wind rune is getting the green magic -- so slap in a 4-tray spearman unit with the greyhaven channeler to keep your green magic up. Then toss in three 1-tray rune golems to intercept charges and block units (and they also benefit from the greyhaven channeler). Single tray units are pretty easy to shoot around, and we don't care that much about them getting hit with morale checks.

So we have 7 units in total, with a ton of ranged damage.

Thoughts?

List Name: Crossbow Death

Faction: Daqan

Spearmen
# of Trays: 4 ( 30 points)
- Greyhaven Channeler ( 6 points)
= 36 total unit cost

Heavy Crossbowmen
# of Trays: 3 ( 27 points)
- Wind Rune ( 6 points)
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 37 total unit cost

Heavy Crossbowmen
- Wind Rune ( 6 points)
= 37 total unit cost

Heavy Crossbowmen
- Wind Rune ( 6 points)
= 37 total unit cost

Rune Golems
# of Trays: 1 ( 17 points)
= 17 total unit cost

Rune Golems
= 17 total unit cost

Rune Golems
= 17 total unit cost

It would be good at snaking around the board and grabbing objectives

That is a mean idea for sure. Three units of xbows with rerolls seems pretty gross to me.

What do you think about this list for more melee damage potential? Hawthorne could potentially serve the same purpose as one of those Rune Golems but way better at it. And the 4 wide unit of cavalry would certainly take the attention away from the xbow units.

List Name:
HotCrossBows

Faction: Daqan Points: 199/200

Name Cost
Lord Hawthorne
Number of Trays: 1 34
UpgradeIconSm1.png Reaping Blade 4
UpgradeIconSm8.png Might of Daqan 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 42
Heavy Crossbowmen
Number of Trays: 6 48
UpgradeIconSm2.png Greyhaven Channeler 6
UpgradeIconSm3.png Wind Rune 6
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 60
Heavy Crossbowmen
Number of Trays: 3 27
UpgradeIconSm3.png Wind Rune 6
UpgradeIconSm6.png Rallying Cornicen 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 37
Oathsworn Cavalry
Number of Trays: 4 34
UpgradeIconSm3.png Tempered Steel 3
UpgradeIconSm5.png Raven Tabards 2
UpgradeIconSm7.png Rank Discipline 4
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 43
Rune Golems
Number of Trays: 1 17
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 17

Interesting variation. I'd still want Rank Discipline on the 3-tray crossbowmen instead of the cornicen, but yeah, that'd be one to try.

I saw your other thread -- and yeah.. that's a a lot $ spent on crossbows -- 5 boxes? $100 if you get them at discount online, $125 retail? :)

1 minute ago, Glucose98 said:

Interesting variation. I'd still want Rank Discipline on the 3-tray crossbowmen instead of the cornicen, but yeah, that'd be one to try.

I saw your other thread -- and yeah.. that's a a lot $ spent on crossbows -- 5 boxes? $100 if you get them at discount online, $125 retail? :)

I like from your list that you basically get the advantages of a 6 tray unit of crossbows without the cost. Its so gnarly mean that they can set up in a 3x1 formation. I wonder if the Viper Legion will have a similarly rude configuration option.

I also like that you have THREE units that are ranged at threat 3 that can move all around the board like a trifecta of sneaky snakes. I honestly don't know which one would be better. I like all the cheap blocking units too from the Golems. Sounds like a solid strategy.

And yes you're right, I forgot about that pesky extra tray. It would be $125...

Have you looked at Tempered Steel? Competes with Wind Rune which is kinda the theme of the list, but it's a pretty strong upgrade. RB with one reroll averages 1.78 hits, so getting one from an upgrade is pretty huge. Maybe try one of the three? And with the points throw a rallying cornicen on another? Remove banes, ready tempered steel and the wizard.

Not as focused as the original list, but pumps out some extra damage.

If you're feeling lucky Fire Rune could put out a lot of damage if the runes are right. Each Crossbowmen attacking twice, at range... mmmmmm. It's one point more than Wind Rune IIRC, so it's not too hard to swap out. You already have the Channeller to help get unstable runes and Rank Discipline to reroll your Fire Rune misses.

Tempered Steel is cheaper, and more reliable... but Fire Rune could dish out more when it counts. The game is over in 8 rounds anyway, make those few moments count!

On 8/23/2017 at 2:02 PM, Wraithist said:

I like from your list that you basically get the advantages of a 6 tray unit of crossbows without the cost. Its so gnarly mean that they can set up in a 3x1 formation. I wonder if the Viper Legion will have a similarly rude configuration option.

I also like that you have THREE units that are ranged at threat 3 that can move all around the board like a trifecta of sneaky snakes. I honestly don't know which one would be better. I like all the cheap blocking units too from the Golems. Sounds like a solid strategy.

And yes you're right, I forgot about that pesky extra tray. It would be $125...

If they had a 2x2 though I could Hawthorne them into a 4x1 and Rank Discipline ><