I dont get it

By Heilbuth, in Star Wars: Legion

7 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Yes it actually is that easy. Buy the game or don't buy the game, it's that easy.

I never doubted that. What's your problem with people saying that they won't buy it if it isn't compatible with IA?

IA players never had any reason to expect Legion was going to be compatible with IA, so they really don't have a reason to be pissed.

Nobody will sue FFG for that. On the other hand FFG could have decided to go another way easily. FFG decided to not do that and people are pissed about it. They have the right and the reason to be. It has no consequences to FFG other when that they pissed off some of their customers. Whats that with your obsession that people may not have another opinion?

Plus and I'll say it again... The models are so close to being the same size that it's unlikely anyone is actually going to notice let alone care that you have IA stormtroopers in Legion. Especially if you rebase the IA models so they base is taller.

The only time/place this will likely actually be an issue is for something like Regionals and National championships, and even in those cases it may not be an issue.

Some people are more obsessed with scale issues then others.

31 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Can I be angry if a conversion kit is added? It means I have to spend more money on minis than the people who own IA. That only seems fair.

Sure. It would be pretty petty of me to tell you what you could or could not be angry about. Wouldn't that be silly?

Just now, Hannes Solo said:

What's your problem with people saying that they won't buy it if it isn't compatible with IA?

I don't have one, I just don't want to have to listen to the constant whining about it. I also think those people are being short sighted and will miss out on a great game, but that's up to them... I honestly don't care a bit if someone refuses to buy Legion or not.

5 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I don't have one, I just don't want to have to listen to the constant whining about it.

This. I understand why some people might be annoyed, whether I agree or not. But constantly ******* in thread after thread is not only annoying, it's pointless. It's not going to change anything.

Fortunately it does seem to be settling down a bit now.

6 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I don't have one, I just don't want to have to listen to the constant whining about it. I also think those people are being short sighted and will miss out on a great game, but that's up to them... I honestly don't care a bit if someone refuses to buy Legion or not.

Now you are whining about other people whining...

IA players are not pissed about this cause they are uninterested in Legion. But many of them can't afford to invest in Legion without giving up IA. If FFG had decided to go the other route and implement many of thouse would have been able to adopt both. The way it is now they can't and they are sad about that. What's so hard to understand about that?

3 minutes ago, Extropia said:

Fortunately it does seem to be settling down a bit now.

Two things... One I really don't get the issue with IA not being compatible. I mean if it were the same models, same plastic, ect.. just IA repackaged but FFG said you couldn't use them (Not that anyone could tell at that point) then I guess I'd see it. But to me, I don't see it as having to paint a bunch of models I already have again. I look at it as I get to paint more Stormtroopers which are better models with more detail.

Two, is people can use their IA models, because FFG isn't going to send a SWAT team to your house and beat you with a Armada ISD for daring to mix IA in with Legion. They also won't invade your LGS and are very unlikely to have any sort of game-police presence at your LGS' store championship, or even at most Regionals for that matter.

Sure there's a minor difference in size, but that can mostly be made up for with basing, so even true LoS and cover isn't going to be an issue. Even without extra basing it's not likely to be an issue since the difference in 2mm between IA and Legion isn't likely to actually cause a problem with most terrain.

2 minutes ago, Hannes Solo said:

But many of them can't afford to invest in Legion without giving up IA. If FFG had decided to go the other route and implement many of thouse would have been able to adopt both.

So, you're saying they're pissed because they can't spend half as much as someone else? That is frankly not a reasonable position to take. Because even if the models were compatible, you'd still need the troop, upgrade, command, ect... cards from the expansion pack.

Anyone who expected FFG to put out some kind of conversion kit for all existing IA models and include Legion cards in all IA future IA packs were not being even remotely reasonable.

3 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Two, is people can use their IA models, because FFG isn't going to send a SWAT team to your house and beat you with a Armada ISD for daring to mix IA in with Legion. They also won't invade your LGS and are very unlikely to have any sort of game-police presence at your LGS' store championship, or even at most Regionals for that matter.

I mean, by that logic people can use their 6'' Star wars action figures, too. Heck, just go the really cheap route and throw a handfull of meeples on the table.

Point is, the scale is obviously off, and that bothers some people. It's okay that people are upset. Some people feel slighted, some people feel Legion threatens IA. Not sure how accurate either complain is yet, but they're certainly valid to have.

21 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Sure. It would be pretty petty of me to tell you what you could or could not be angry about. Wouldn't that be silly?

It's a 2 way street. People think it's ok to drag "I can't use IA minis for Legion, pity me, gimme conversion, FFG hates me" into most of the threads. It's pointless to complain on either side, which is the point I'm making.

2 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I mean, by that logic people can use their 6'' Star wars action figures, too.

No it's not even remotely the same thing... I don't even know why I should have to point out that there's a major difference in scale between 30mm to 32mm and 32mm to 150mm

Edited by VanorDM
1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

It's a 2 way street. People think it's ok to drag "I can't use IA minis for Legion, pity me, gimme conversion, FFG hates me" into most of the threads. It's pointless to complain on either side, which is the point I'm making.

I beg to disagree. These are a public forum where people can voice their concerns, as well as their interests.

If you dislike those posts (and I totally get it, sometimes forums do get overrun by zealous complainers) perhaps consider don't feeding into them.

2 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

No it's not even remotely the same thing...

And that's how many feel about Legion to IA, as well. Not everyone has your specific standard.

Just now, subtrendy2 said:

I beg to disagree. These are a public forum where people can voice their concerns, as well as their interests.

If you dislike those posts (and I totally get it, sometimes forums do get overrun by zealous complainers) perhaps consider don't feeding into them.

It's hard to avoid them when it's literally the largest discussed topic and people keep making threads about it. Or bringing it up in the topics I want to discuss.

1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

It's hard to avoid them when it's literally the largest discussed topic and people keep making threads about it. Or bringing it up in the topics I want to discuss.

All right, chief, you do you.

3 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Not everyone has your specific standard.

Sure not everyone is going to have the same opinion as me... But anyone who has a fit over 2mm, then that is someone you're most likely better off not playing. Which is a different thing than say the 140mm difference you mentioned.

But it seems fairly clear to me, that most people who have an issue with it, do so because they want to have an issue with it, because that justifies their complaining.

Edited by VanorDM
6 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

So, you're saying they're pissed because they can't spend half as much as someone else? That is frankly not a reasonable position to take. Because even if the models were compatible, you'd still need the troop, upgrade, command, ect... cards from the expansion pack.

Anyone who expected FFG to put out some kind of conversion kit for all existing IA models and include Legion cards in all IA future IA packs were not being even remotely reasonable.

And again...

1st its not only about money but about time and space so if they could only reuse the IA models and still have to buy all the other stuff it would be still a nice little bonus for IA players. They would hav had to invest just as much money in Legion as others but not as much time.

2nd FFG dosn't have to make Legion compatible with IA but they could have gone that route. It is not unreasonable to think of that. FFG did that with dust warfare. GW (of all gaming companies) did that with several of their games. People hoped FFG would go that route, FFG went the exact other direction, people are disapointed about that.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Let the IA Players be disappointed. If you are offended by some whining threads do not read them!

I think the issue people have is the sense of entitlement that comes from these types of arguments. It's the same argument that happened when the EU was banished from canon. It's the same argument that happened after the Prequels were released. I like something, you changed something I like, therefore I deserve something in exchange. Imperial Assault is a fantastic heroic adventure game with optional rules for some small squad skirmish combat. What it is NOT is a tactical wargame. There's some of us who actually wanted a large Star Wars game for years where you can build and paint an army and after playing the demo at GenCon, I think it may not even go far enough.

Just now, Hannes Solo said:

If you are offended by some whining threads do not read them!

If you don't like my answers don't read them. It's also hard not to read them when people pollute every thread with them, knowing full well that nothing is actually going to change at this point.

4 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

I think the issue people have is the sense of entitlement that comes from these types of arguments. It's the same argument that happened when the EU was banished from canon. It's the same argument that happened after the Prequels were released. I like something, you changed something I like, therefore I deserve something in exchange. Imperial Assault is a fantastic heroic adventure game with optional rules for some small squad skirmish combat. What it is NOT is a tactical wargame. There's some of us who actually wanted a large Star Wars game for years where you can build and paint an army and after playing the demo at GenCon, I think it may not even go far enough.

I do get that they are different games. Its Miniature bordgame vs Tabletop wargame yes.

GW once published a Miniature Boardgame called Space Hulk that used Miniatures that there compatible with their Tabletop called WH40K

So FFG once published a Miniature Boardgame called Dust Tactics and when published a fully compatible Tabletop Wargame called Dust Warfare.

It is not unreasonable when IA players hoped that FFG would handle Legion in the same way. And as FFG does not they are disapointed.

And I as someone who dosn't play IA it still looks like a missed opportunity. IA could have been an entry game for Legion. The IA community could have been a healthy base for the new Legion community. FFG could have reused IA minis in Legion.
These thoughts and objections are not unreasonable as some here claim. That is all I want to put straight.

26 minutes ago, Hannes Solo said:

IA could have been an entry game for Legion.

I don't think it would be, because IA models are quite inferior compared to Legion ones... It's also a very different game from Legion.

So while letting existing IA players use their IA models in Legion could work I wouldn't want it to be a entry level game for Legion. Because then you have people buying inferior models when they could buy better ones.

These thoughts and objections are not unreasonable as some here claim. That is all I want to put straight.

Again using IA models for units that already exist in Legion, like Stormtroopers is IMO fine, and it wouldn't surprise me if FFG allows it. They did at one point say that you couldn't use S&V dials for Rebel Y-Wings, but reversed that decision rather quickly.

Right now we have as far as I know, no official word on if you can or can't use IA models in Legion, and again even if you can't that only applies to official events and not even all those will enforce that rule. Because there is really no practical difference between IA and Legion models in terms of game play, 2mm isn't enough difference to have a real impact. Visually it's more noticeable, but if you don't mix models in a single unit it's going to be hard to see the difference when playing.

Edited by VanorDM
1 hour ago, VanorDM said:

Sure not everyone is going to have the same opinion as me... But anyone who has a fit over 2mm, then that is someone you're most likely better off not playing . Which is a different thing than say the 140mm difference you mentioned.

But it seems fairly clear to me, that most people who have an issue with it, do so because they want to have an issue with it, because that justifies their complaining.

See, that's still your opinion. And that's fine, but it's no grounds to belittle others' concerns.

3 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

And that's fine, but it's no grounds to belittle others' concerns.

I think 2mm in difference, and those 2mm can actually be removed with basing is in fact a completely valid reason. If I use my IA models with based so they're the same height as Legion models and someone has a fit about it, that person is not someone I'd want to play with or even be involved with in any way.

The Legion models are clearly better, and I'd only use IA models if I wanted to test a list or something. If I knew I wanted 4 or more squads of Stormtroopers I'd likely buy another squad of Legion models... But that doesn't mean someone is being even remotely reasonable to have a fit over IA models being used when there is no difference in terms of LoS or cover.

Edited by VanorDM
4 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

See, that's still your opinion. And that's fine, but it's no grounds to belittle others' concerns.

What's stopping those people from using IA minis with Legion? The rule book will be on the website and you can proxy the cards and upgrades. I'm all for getting more people into the game by any means necessary. That said, I have no influence over tournaments where the expectation is you own all the FFG legal components.

Really the only thing stopping people from using IA with Legion is themselves and FFG for OP.

12 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

What's stopping those people from using IA minis with Legion? The rule book will be on the website and you can proxy the cards and upgrades. I'm all for getting more people into the game by any means necessary. That said, I have no influence over tournaments where the expectation is you own all the FFG legal components.

Really the only thing stopping people from using IA with Legion is themselves and FFG for OP.

I mean, I've seen the differences, and it's noticeable enough for me. As someone who has spent plenty of hours painting my entire collection, I'm not really keen on making my models look weird by adding in units off the scale.

2 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I'm not really keen on making my models look weird by adding in units off the scale.

You can see the difference when you have two models next to each other, but noticing the difference on the table is going to be a lot harder. If you don't mix Legion models with IA models the difference will nearly impossible to tell, since all the models will be the same size.

Game wise, if you put them on slightly taller bases then there will be no effective difference in terms of LoS or cover.

Now if you don't want to do that with your collection that's fine, but if you throw a fit and refuse to play with someone else who does in a casual setting, that's not fine, that makes you one of those guys.

9 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I mean, I've seen the differences, and it's noticeable enough for me. As someone who has spent plenty of hours painting my entire collection, I'm not really keen on making my models look weird by adding in units off the scale.

We don't have the models in hands so I doubt the differences will look horrible when you put them on the table and stand 3 feet away. If that still bothers you, I don't know what to say.

Complaining about it on the forums will yield no results. You're going to be discussing it with people like me, not with FFG. I can't fix it. You can't accept the fact they are slightly different. It's a conundrum that goes no where.