Will i spend a ton on terrain?

By Guest, in Star Wars: Legion

I don't have the time, money, or skill to build the gorgeous terrain models that were featured at GenCon. Will i still be able to pay this game at home? Will terrain models be offered in the future? Never played a mini game like this before. Also, would a game like this include any kind of basic paint kit?

The core set does contain 8 plastic barriers that can get you started. It does not come with paint. FFG has partnered up with The Army Painter for RuneWars. Those paints are pretty good quality relative to their price.

Terrain is pretty important in miniatures gaming. If you don't use terrain, you are not going to get the full experience of the game design.

There are many companies that sell various kinds of terrain, sometimes finished pieces.

Play with your minatures in a sandbox. Congratulations you have now recreated Tatooine!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor tatooine sandbox

Hopefully they'll sell unpainted or pre-painted terrain you can use. Otherwise, you could use anything. Toilet rolls. Boxes. House plants. Whatever floats your boat :)

I do prefer 'proper' terrain though. Even card buildings like those in the Suicide Squad boxset by Knight Models, or MDF stuff from the likes of TTCombat and others make a huge difference. There's some Color-ED stuff for Infinity and Malifaux that's pre-painted and looks good too.

So yeah, I'm hoping for pre-painted stuff, just for the build to table time.

QS =D

I don't care it they're painted or not I want some of those buildings and stuff from the demo games. Seems like terrain would be a huge cash cow for FFG. That being said they of course won't announce their plans for it until after I spend hundreds on terrain and obstacles from third party sellers.

If you really don't want to build/buy terrain, you can always draw the terrain on slips of paper, cut them out, and then put them on the board.

It won't look nearly as nice, but it gets the idea across.

Check your LGS out, if they have a decent miniatures gaming community you may be able to use the ones the store has or if you know someone you can leverage their terrain. Otherwise, you can spray paint plastic bottles/cups/boxes/styrofoam to make your own terrain. If you're not that savvy to do that then buying pre-made terrain can be pricey.

Thanks for the input folks. I'll take it all in and spend the next few months window shopping for terrain models! MTFBWY

Cardboard box warehouses and coke can guardtowers have served me well through years of 40k

Thanks for the input folks! I guess I'll spend the next few months window shopping terrain models. MTFBWY

1 hour ago, Robin Graves said:

Play with your minatures in a sandbox. Congratulations you have now recreated Tatooine!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor tatooine sandbox

And what exactly is wrong with that? Looks pretty sweet to me!

TX130.jpg

... oh, right....

catattack.jpg

Probably better to stick to urban terrain options....

boots.jpg

Seriously though, you don't have to spend that much if you are willing to get creative. Or know the right people to ask for help from.

Edited by Ghostofman

Legos. That'd be my plan.

Most FLGS have craploads of WH40k terrain around that the store owns, at least my local shops do. That'll do for now. Otherwise, organize a terrain making night at the FLGS of your choice. Get folks who know what they're doing to teach those who have the enthusiasm and/or money.

2 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

TX130.jpg

... oh, right....

catattack.jpg

boots.jpg

Seriously though, you don't have to spend that much if you are willing to get creative. Or know the right people to ask for help from.

Super cool. Love the unannounced player. Well done!

That's years old, I've got a more proper table now. But as a place to start it worked alright, and I'll probably take another pass at the buildings once Legion drops, if just to ensure the new players don't get stuck with just the barricades that come in the starter box.

Yes, use a lot of sand for your mini games while owning a cat. See what happens next.

Some game stores at least have terrain available for mini games you can always play with while at the store.

I guess it has been a really bad movement by FFG not to release any scenery farther than the fences. Even flat elements like they do in Runewars could be nice. 3D carboard elements could be an amazing addition to the game....

No idea whether FFG will release more 3D terrain for Legion. Obviously, getting the actual minis out is a bigger deal considering there is already an extensive miniatures wargame terrain industry. As I mentioned in other thread, flat templates are more approriate for a game where movement itself is a crucial gameplay skill, such as X-Wing, Armada, and RW. Movement is much more forgiving in Legion, as with more traditional miniatures games. So terrain is mostly about LOS and cover as opposed to directly inhibiting movement. Not to mention, 3D terrain is part of the visual spectacle of miniatures gaming whereas flat cardboard looks pretty terrible.

Edited by Manchu
7 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

TX130.jpg

... oh, right....

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for sand box terrain tables.* Gary Gygax had one in his basement, and what's good enough for him...

But yeah, you do not want your cat on there.

* It beats playing outside in the snow to re-enact the battle of Hoth. :)

7 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

catattack.jpg

"It has spotted us! Run away! Run away!"

7 hours ago, demon3o5z said:

Legos. That'd be my plan.

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Edited by Robin Graves

My question is how do you decide how to place terrain? Please bear in mind I've never played anything like it before. Was wonder if it would be the same as X-Wing, take turns to place barriers / whatever else?

11 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

My question is how do you decide how to place terrain? Please bear in mind I've never played anything like it before. Was wonder if it would be the same as X-Wing, take turns to place barriers / whatever else?

Sometimes the general layout is determined by a map in the scenario being played (place a piece of at least these dimensions in the center, 2 med size pieces in this grid square, etc...), other times players will take turns placing an element. A method I have always been fond of is one player places all the terrain, then the other player gets to choose which board edge to start on.

Based on how FFG approaches things, I would guess they'll go with mainly the first option. Each scenario will have a little diagram showing approximate areas terrain should be placed in, with the specifics of what terrain to place left to the players to decide based on what's available.

also try a search on ebay for aquarium plants.

10 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

sand would get into the flexy joints of the movement rulers.

as for terrain you can get this pretty cheap and build most anything you want from it. it's like lego for building terrain. the box image shows a stupid build but you can get much nicer looking stuff from it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pegasus-Hobby-Hexagon-Miniature-Terrain/dp/B000UQ0KQI

41OFbkdfp3L._SY355_.jpg