Hope.....for 'battlezone' waves

By Dice lord, in Star Wars: Legion

I really hope that FFG has a coordinated release schedule planned for Legion compared to say, X wing. What I'd like to see is expansion waves linked to a 'battlezone' (e.g. Hoth, Scarif or Lothal), a bit of narrative structure would be good and provide a real sense of flowing life for the game. Kinda like the theatres of war in FOW I guess.

I get that the grunts/standard commanders need to be made available and the core plus the first wave probably does this. But how great would it be if a wave linked in expansions, scenarios books with missions, terrain, local aliens (tuskens, Wampas etc.), heroes. Dare I even say, a FFG run global campaign!

Thanks Bigkahuna for bringing this up; it's a good, often overlooked point from a game life perspective and with the vastness of SW, this could tie things together nicely.

Edited by Dice lord
19 minutes ago, Dice lord said:

I really hope that FFG thinks a bit more about the release schedule for Legion than say compared to X wing. What I'd like to see is expansion waves linked to a 'warzone' (e.g. Hoth, Scarif or Lothal), a bit of narrative structure would be good and provide a real sense of flowing life for the game. Kinda like the theatres of war in FOW I guess.

Makes sense to have themed waves. Definitely better than just randomly releasing expansions.

I get that the grunts/standard commanders need to be made available and the core plus the first wave probably does this. But how great would it be if a wave linked in expansions, scenarios books with missions, terrain, local aliens (tuskens, Wampas etc.), heroes. Dare I even say, a FFG run global campaign!

No to the books. With the cost of models, glue, paint and the terrain I don't want to spend more money. The quantity of books in the RPG line put me off getting into them.

Global campaign would be cool though. I'm down with that.

Th anks Bigkahuna for bringing this up; it's a good, often overlooked point from a game life perspective and with the vastness of SW, this could tie things together nicely.

That it could.

Just now, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

No to the books. With the cost of models, glue, paint and the terrain I don't want to spend more money. The quantity of books in the RPG line put me off getting into them.

Sorry, I should clarify; books to enrich but not be required for play. Background to the warzone, the heroes (canon and new), the objectives of both sides. Maybe more of those mission cards that are picked during the set up could be included to broaden play but certainly not exlcude those without them.

I too lament codex-like rules buying and am loving the rules on card approach seen here but would probably buy into something that expands out a warzone I was interested in (scarif hint hint ;) )

2 minutes ago, Dice lord said:

Sorry, I should clarify; books to enrich but not be required for play. Background to the warzone, the heroes (canon and new), the objectives of both sides. Maybe more of those mission cards that are picked during the set up could be included to broaden play but certainly not exlcude those without them.

I too lament codex-like rules buying and am loving the rules on card approach seen here but would probably buy into something that expands out a warzone I was interested in (scarif hint hint ;) )

W arzone background and specific cards could come with a campaign style box, perhaps with some miniatures and/or terrain included too. Actually I'd be happy with just terrain in the warzone box.....

Tatooine homes, moisture condensers and canteen. Hoth turrets, Shield Generator and Ion Canon. Endor bunker, Landing Pad and Shield Dish. Scarif tower. Lothal rocks.

Are FFG reading this? Hint hint.

P.S. I don't expect the Scarif tower to be in scale. That might not fit inside a room.

I'm working on posting something bringing this sort of thinking together for those willing to start prepping.

Hopefully it will inspire and encourage more ideas.