I stink at painting: post advice please

By Tommy Blunderbuss, in Star Wars: Legion

Exactly what the title implies.

I stink at painting. I'm so terrible, a child with no fingers could put me to shame.

Others don't have the time to spend hours on their models, but want them to look cool.

Please post your painting advice here.

Also, feel free to ask for advice here too.

Let's not have "I stink at painting" or "I don't have the time" hold anybody back from getting into Star Wars: Legion.

Thank you in advance.

follow this series? As someone who would consider myself on the lower end of intermediate, this was awesome.

Edited by Ralgon

Have you see Sorastors guides? Quite simple to follow, and he explains all the basic techniques as well as every colour etc.

https://m.youtube.com/user/Sorastro

Id also recommend WArhammer TV. The painter on there, Duncan, is amazing at teaching the techniques in a super simple to follow way, from total basic all the way to full model guides (hough the models are ofc GW ones as it's their YouTube channel).

https://m.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT

There has never been a better time to start learning, and I say that quite sincerely :)

First off, you're awesome. I know everyone can have their opinion and can feel however they like to feel, but a lot of the posts in this forum have seemed self-defeating and spoken from a position of intimidation. This post on the other hand is exactly what's needed.

Obviously the Star Wars Legion specific video guide is going to be ace, but let me also recommend Warhammer TV on YouTube. Duncan is an amazing painter, and he does videos that almost all cater to beginners in the hobby. https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT/videos

I've seen plenty of newbies watch one of Duncan's videos and produce something that looks great for the tabletop and they should definitely be proud of.

Also, if new, don't feel like you have to immediately just dive into every step. Start off by just basecoating your entire army, on a Stormtrooper make the army white, make the blaster rifle black, just the base block colors. It's easy, and then bam, your army already looks 1000% better than grey plastic (and likely better than what a pre-painted miniature would). Then when you've got some confidence, watch those videos and try washing the models, then clean up the wash, then maybe some drybrushing, or edge highlighting. You can always go back and add more to a model, there's no need to feel like you have to get it all down in one go. I've seen tons of people that for normal troops, they basecoat->wash and then basically done.

And remember to have fun. Painting is incredibly relaxing. Put on your favorite music, podcast, or a favorite movie you've seen a hundred times and chill.

I would add one thing. Wash your sprues/models prior to painting with warm soapy water and rinse. Sometimes they have mold release agent on them.

Bent models? Hot water,very, dip count to 2 and shape.

Happy painting.

4 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

follow this series? As someone who would consider myself on the lower end of intermediate, this was awesome.

This is really good and I'm glad this is out there but as a beginner you really wanna focus on those first 3 steps (especially for the troop models).

Something like this maybe;

Basecoat - spray in the most prevalent colour if you can

colours - pick out some details with dry brushing (Google this) and/or using normal painting with a standard detail brush.

wash - a watery wash or ink to add depth by shading the recesses.

highlight - same techniques as colours above.

Work in batches to save a whole heap of time. Buy the right colours To avoid mixing. Don't bother painting in eyes (your wash should do this for you!) this will get you a personalised paint job that would look better than preprinted.

Oh, and as Duncan says, thin your paints with a wee bit of water when using a standard painting technique (not needed for dry brushing or washing).

I'd also stick the model together completely before painting; if the brush cannot reach a spot, you probably cannot see said spot so why spend time painting it.

I too have limited time and like a good short cut. ;)

A pal of mine uses sharpies for highlighting his X-Wings, not sure how valid that might be here.

Patience is your best friend when painting. Rush it, and the results are usually terrible. I tend to work on multiple sets of figures at a time. For example, right now on my workbench are 4 Tusken Raiders, 4 Rebel Saboteurs, 4 Imperial Jump Troopers, and Boba Fett. I can work on one group, then move to the next to let the paint/wash dry fully before I go back to them.

If there's a local hobby shop in your area that sells Warhammer 40K bits, it can be a good place to get some less expensive pieces to test your technique on. One of my local shops has a whole bin of bits & pieces of Space Marines and Orks and Eldar and whatnot from 40k that are great for that.

Don't let the work of those who have been at this for a long time discourage you either. Your first paint jobs won't be master class. But they're yours. Keep at it, and you'll steadily improve.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

@Ralgon @Extropia @Shadin @Sirdrasco @Dice lord

Awesome! All this is certainly making me feel like giving painting a go.

@Bojanglez

I've heard of sharpies. Was going to use them on Armada Rebel Squadrons.

No sweat.

You can always practice on any old model; grab an action figure and give it a go. I've an old Kenner Stormtrooper figure that I'm gonna repaint to try out some colours.

Dont over procrastinate, get up a do it trooper!

Find out too if any local game shop has painting nights, or organize one! It's a good opportunity for painters of all skill levels to get together to share techniques and tips (and to show off something you're proud of too!)

15 minutes ago, Bojanglez said:

A pal of mine uses sharpies for highlighting his X-Wings, not sure how valid that might be here.

It's a good suggestion. I use some very fine point black Copic Multiliner pens to do super detail work, like eyes, on my Imperial Assault figures.

Have a look at Army Painter dips. If you thin it, and brush it on, you can get some good effects. So all you would need to do is basecoat the model, then add the shade. done.

20 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

It's a good suggestion. I use some very fine point black Copic Multiliner pens to do super detail work, like eyes, on my Imperial Assault figures.

Sweet, I'd feel more confident using a sharpie for eyes. My hand always decides to shake when trying to paint such small details.

Never shakes when painting larger areas, only on eyes and between armour plating.

forget about brushes, and paint pots, air spray guns.... you can do an army of figures or models with just a base spray paint can and some Sharpe markers in about 5 Minutes!

( I have done this, it is table top ready to go, not as good as a pro like Sorastro's paint guide which are amazing, but you can also do this a whole lot easier and cheaper to the game table if painting is not your thing)

check out this guys video

22 minutes ago, angrymike said:

forget about brushes, and paint pots, air spray guns.... you can do an army of figures or models with just a base spray paint can and some Sharpe markers in about 5 Minutes!

( I have done this, it is table top ready to go, not as good as a pro like Sorastro's paint guide which are amazing, but you can also do this a whole lot easier and cheaper to the game table if painting is not your thing)

check out this guys video

Really?

Won't discount that suggestion. I'll find some cheap sacrificial miniatures to experiment on.

You can also get some Gundam markers on ebay, they come in a variety of colors too, but is more expensive than a few Sharpe.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=gundam+pen&_sacat=0

Whatever it is, you look for a reusable base color that you use over and over for your squads in a paint primer or base paint, then you use the pens or sharpe to fill in more details, thats about the idea of it. Quick and easy.

Some figures are too individualistic for this approach, like the Luke or hero's you only table one such figure, so on of those figures or models I would go with a Sorastro approach, and the generic approach for the army mass.

hope that helps.

So ... I have always wanted to try a game like this and never found a genre. Dabble in X-wing and, now, this. I am probably in their target market ... how do you draw in the guy only playing X-Wing, who would love a mini, skirmish game?

Here are some things I have found and have tried, as I got curious and tried painting random small models/minis.

Sorasto's videos

WILDLY talented and makes it look so easy. Like, REALLY easy.

Table Top Minions

He has MANY basic, basic, basic videos for someone that has never picked up a brush

Vince Venturella

He also has many, many videos from basic to mid-tier to advanced

What I have learned as a new guy ...

Clean models in warm soap and water

Good brushes matter

High-end, modeling sand paper is important

Exacto and snips and one of those green mats you in see in all the videos ... handy

Glue first. Paint second.

All the videos on Zenithal Highlighting techniques work; matter and save time

Dry brushing, wet blending ... brushing techniques ... try

GOOD paints work. CHEAP, arts & craft paints not so much.

Thin paint. Thin paint. Thin paint.

Apply in light layer. Apply another light layer. Apply another light layer.

Glazes and washes are not the same thing.

Washes have a place. May not necessarily mean over an entire mini or model.

Simple Green will safely remove paint from models. So, you try some stuff and fail? Simple Green

Small, random, plastic food containers ... things you would otherwise throw out ... make for an ok practice item. Prime it. Try some stuff out.

Take your time.

Don't compare yourself to the guys online or their photos.

Practice practice practice, mate. It takes time and willingness. Don't expect your first mini to look like Rembrandt. And don't be afraid to learn new tricks. I have been painting on and off for a long, long time and I am still learning and that's okay. Don't pull the lever before you get out of the hangar. That's just silly.

I used to paint my 15mm Flames Models with a Size 1 brush, so try and avoid the temptation to purchase the "000" you may see in the shop, or the brush with 10 hairs. They don't hold as much paint and it will often dry out on the brush.

Never get paint on the Ferrel, the metal band that holds the bristles, if the paint dries in there your bristles spread and render the brush suitable for dry-brushing or taking paint out of the pot.

Prime, some prefer black I prefer white as it makes the colours bolder.

If you look at a shirt you will see that the inner folds are darker and the tops of them lighter. A fairly simple idea is to paint the model in that "middle" range colour - this is he basecoat. The apply some ink or thinned paints that are darker in colour to form the shadows (Shading) and then apply a lighter highlight to the tops of the folds and raised area's (Highlighting).

When basecoating try and paint inside the lines as neatly as you can. But remember you'll be painting at least two more layers so don't worry.

Make mistakes, if you slip and paint green on the guys shirt, you'll probably be the only one to ever notice. You are 4" away from the model painting it, most people are 2-4' away.

If you plan to have a go, start with a decent brush and such and go to your hobby shop and buy some models. Start now, so that in a few weeks/months you won't find the idea daunting.

Then buy a core set and paint the core set. Buy the Biker pack and paint the bikes. Don't buy up hundreds of dollars of models, you'll just end up with a mountain of plastic that makes the painting task look insurmountable. paint one box and then reward yourself with something new.

Write down the steps you take as to do them again 6 months later if you then buy more.

The key to being a successful miniature painter is patience and neatness.

If you can get the base colours down on your miniature, and not rush, you are like 80% of the way to being a very competent painter.

Once your base colours are down neatly, all you then have to do is use the correct shade washes to provide definition and some basic highlights.

Boom, miniature done, to a very decent tabletop standard. You're not going to win any painting awards, but that's something for the future! ;)

A wet palette really does help a lot as well. My mini's look a Lot better after I started using one.

Also if you're looking for some stuff to try your hand with first, consider the Reaper Bones lines. They're like $2-3 per mini.

The best thing I ever did when I started out was watching privateer press's DVD tutorial. It covers the basics in terrific detail and will give you a really good headstart. I went from a total beginner to decent in no time.

http://privateerpress.com/formula-p3/hobby-series-dvds

Edited by davepaulstanley
Inserting link

Find a good audiobook of podcasts to listen to.

Take your time.

Don't stress about getting things perfect.

THIN YOUR PAINT. (it takes longer, but it's worth it)

Just have fun with it. Your first figures won't be masterpieces, but they will probably look better than you expect.

At long as you take your time and don't stress about it, they will come out fine. And each figure will get better and better as you practice.

I thought I wound hate painting, but I love it. Hopefully, you will too.

Good luck and may the force be with you.