Rebel Vehicles

By Animewarsdude, in Star Wars: Legion

I've seen a fair few posts of people saying that the Rebels don't have any heavier stuff to pull from so I went ahead and made this list below to show what they could get:

A-A5, probably comparable to the Imperial troop transport we see in Rebels.

AAC-1 Speeder Tank , rocket launching tank.

AT-PT , if they aren't given to the Empire.

Artillery , looks like it could easily be a movable anti-troop turret.

AT-AP , probably a tad too big for the game's scale.

BARC Speeder , allows for something different than the speeder the empire has though kind of takes away from what a Republic faction might have if they ever add one.

Droideka Oppressor and Sentinel , again movable turrets but at the same time thanks to Commander being canon (or at least what shows up in it rather than story) they are in canon now.

Endor Forest Ranger , kinda meh looking but is canon.

Freerunner , repulsor tank and is canon.

Juggernaut , goes either way with Rebel or Imperial but I think it is a tad on the too big scale for the game. There is a better variant for the rebels but we've seen it used by the Empire in Rogue One so feel it leans more that way.

Heavy Tracker , a rebel tank from the WEG RPG days.

HTT-26 Transport , rebel troop transport.

Hailfire Droid , rocket launcher droid though takes away from the CIS if they are added as a faction down the line.

ISP , anti-infantry speeder but again possible Republic vehicle if they are added.

LAAT/i , more possible Republic fare and yet another troop transport option.

MLC-3 light tank , light tank that is canon.

MPTL-2a , movable heavy artillery.

Rebel Combat Speeder , kind of basic but works for a simple tank.

T-47 , if the size allows for it then it is a pretty obvious choice.

T-1B hover tank , simple repulsor tank from Rebellion.

T-2B repulsor tank , a repulsor tank that is more well known due to Empire at War and also is canon.

T-3B Heavy Attack Tank , kind of in the name.

T-4B Heavy tank , more well known heavy tank.

ULAV , canon rebel landspeeder with blasters.

What about old Separatist vehicles? The Empire used AAT like tanks in the comics...

Just a feeling, but if a vehicle holds more than 6, it's unlikely to be in the game unless there is some epic like format or its a terrain element. When they get large it impacts the board (I'm thinking the larger units from dust) and sometimes you have to limit terrain so they can move around. A juggernaut holds over 50 - that is maybe 4 starters worth of units. You are not going to want it in this game. The AAT, tx-130, etc would all be a good size.

I would like to see AT-ATs, TIEs, and the like be offboard artillery or show up in the cards. Maybe instead of getting to activate units from the cards you get a tie bomber run and all your units activate by blind draw. That would be cool.

9 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Just a feeling, but if a vehicle holds more than 6, it's unlikely to be in the game unless there is some epic like format or its a terrain element. When they get large it impacts the board (I'm thinking the larger units from dust) and sometimes you have to limit terrain so they can move around. A juggernaut holds over 50 - that is maybe 4 starters worth of units. You are not going to want it in this game. The AAT, tx-130, etc would all be a good size.

I would like to see AT-ATs, TIEs, and the like be offboard artillery or show up in the cards. Maybe instead of getting to activate units from the cards you get a tie bomber run and all your units activate by blind draw. That would be cool.

There is an epic format in the works

12 minutes ago, Tirion said:

There is an epic format in the works

Awesome! I missed that announcement, who said that? Then I would think any sort of troop transport or 6+ crew will be limited to that format.

V Wing Airspeeder?

Yeah, a lot of those vehicles are huge. I made a heavy tracker model years ago at roughly the same scale as Legion appears to use. Thing was like a foot long.

Lighter tanks and airspeeders are probably viable though.

Hopefully FFG isn't limited to only Cannon vehicles and can make their own like in Armada and X-Wing, which are now cannon thanks to Battlefront.

3 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I've seen a fair few posts of people saying that the Rebels don't have any heavier stuff to pull from so I went ahead and made this list below to show what they could get:

A-A5, probably comparable to the Imperial troop transport we see in Rebels.

AAC-1 Speeder Tank , rocket launching tank.

AT-PT , if they aren't given to the Empire.

Artillery , looks like it could easily be a movable anti-troop turret.

AT-AP , probably a tad too big for the game's scale.

BARC Speeder , allows for something different than the speeder the empire has though kind of takes away from what a Republic faction might have if they ever add one.

Droideka Oppressor and Sentinel , again movable turrets but at the same time thanks to Commander being canon (or at least what shows up in it rather than story) they are in canon now.

Endor Forest Ranger , kinda meh looking but is canon.

Freerunner , repulsor tank and is canon.

Juggernaut , goes either way with Rebel or Imperial but I think it is a tad on the too big scale for the game. There is a better variant for the rebels but we've seen it used by the Empire in Rogue One so feel it leans more that way.

Heavy Tracker , a rebel tank from the WEG RPG days.

HTT-26 Transport , rebel troop transport.

Hailfire Droid , rocket launcher droid though takes away from the CIS if they are added as a faction down the line.

ISP , anti-infantry speeder but again possible Republic vehicle if they are added.

LAAT/i , more possible Republic fare and yet another troop transport option.

MLC-3 light tank , light tank that is canon.

MPTL-2a , movable heavy artillery.

Rebel Combat Speeder , kind of basic but works for a simple tank.

T-47 , if the size allows for it then it is a pretty obvious choice.

T-1B hover tank , simple repulsor tank from Rebellion.

T-2B repulsor tank , a repulsor tank that is more well known due to Empire at War and also is canon.

T-3B Heavy Attack Tank , kind of in the name.

T-4B Heavy tank , more well known heavy tank.

ULAV , canon rebel landspeeder with blasters.

This is all great, and more power to them. Looks good and will enjoy it I'm sure. The disappointment is that I don't see recreating the Epic Battle of Hoth with 5 AT-ATs in this format. Maybe, but would take a pile of money for that scale, a warehouse to set it up in, and probably about 6 to 10 hrs to play it. That is the game I really wanted, but I don't think this is it. I'm sure there is great fun here, I will enjoy it, but still looking forward some day to the definitive Hoth Battle experience.

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

Awesome! I missed that announcement, who said that? Then I would think any sort of troop transport or 6+ crew will be limited to that format.

Can't remember. But it's rumored to be 1600 points

So about this epic format. . . dish! What do you know!

What's the rebel miniature - some kind of piggyback droid thing. It's a guy riding it. Looks really weird.. looks more like something for loading luggage on a plane than anything you'd want to be strapped to in a fight.

1 hour ago, Guest Biggyback walker thing said:

What's the rebel miniature - some kind of piggyback droid thing. It's a guy riding it. Looks really weird.. looks more like something for loading luggage on a plane than anything you'd want to be strapped to in a fight.

Are you talking about the rebel walker from the core set? That's an AT-RT , a vehicle from the Clone Wars.

It might be silly of me but I sort of want to see this game as more of the x-wing sized skirmish game for ground combat, with Imperial Assault just being more of a board game, and that in time we will get an armada version to this with larger scale battles. Though the battles in this game will be rather large too, just going based off of the current point threshold of 1000 that means your list could be Vader and 18 squads of storm troopers, meaning that you'd have one vader miniature and 90 storm troopers (also have fun painting that many storm troopers).

Also, just watched the interview with Alex Davey, so everything in the core set, minus luke and vader, will have their own expansion (kind of obvious but still) and his example was the Storm Troopers who will be 7 minis per $25 pack, 4 storm troopers, 1 leader, 1 extra you can add and 1 rocket launcher one I assume. So with the above example and knowing you get two squads in the core set that means to have 18 squads you'll need to pay $90 for the coreset and $400 for the 16 storm trooper expansions.

Edited by Animewarsdude

I'm on the fence about the whole thing.. i already have a good sci-fi skirmish game.

it's a shame it wasn't something I don't already have (like a large battle epic scale type thing) but being FFG I have no doubt it will be a good game