FFG: PLEASE PRE-PAINT

By APOLLO457, in Star Wars: Legion

On 19.8.2017 at 10:28 PM, Jarema said:

no. Some guys (I think with bacground in other miniature games) prefer unpainted minis. Some others (my guess would be board-game players) would prefer painted. I prefer unpainted. Stripping paint is not the best idea. If you do not like to paint by yourself, you can pay someone for doing it. It will be no more costly than pre-painted minis would have to be.

Why starting another thread about the same thing??

Again, easier to Repaint prepainted than to paint unpainted.

Even if it's not easier, it's possible !

1 hour ago, DScipio said:

Again, easier to Repaint prepainted than to paint unpainted.

Again, not when the people that want to paint have to pay more for the game because prepainting adds significant cost to the minis for a crap paintjob.

I know this is not going to happen, but I would like also to see pre-painted miniatures.

As long as in tournament I could use unpainted minis - Im okey.

2 minutes ago, Frodos said:

Can see that being a problem, certainly isn't in IA.

25 minutes ago, Frodos said:

Yeah, FFG has never required painted minis and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Companies require painting when their game stands on the quality of the models alone. FFG makes great games. The nice models are just icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Again, not when the people that want to paint have to pay more for the game because prepainting adds significant cost to the minis for a crap paintjob.

You mean just how FFG ruined X-Wing and Armada with it.

Edited by DScipio
2 hours ago, DScipio said:

Not even remotely the same thing here.

2 hours ago, DScipio said:

If the minis in X-wing come unpainted, i would pay more - cuz i would ask someone else to paint for me...

I think this will be my last post on one of these prepainted threads...

Nothing, and I mean nothing said here will change anything at this point. Prepainted was never going to be an option and never will be an option. If that means you won't buy the game then that's your loss. FFG is trying to take another chunk out of GW and prepainted mini's won't do that.

The bottom line is it costs a lot more, has at best poor quality and likely turns off as many people as it would make happy. But regardless of that, it's not going to happen so posting about it is a waste of time.

6 hours ago, CDAT said:

I do not know what games you have played but the ones that I have played that have prepainted ground troops did not look bad, not all of them were perfect but even the worst were very far from garbage.

I am not sure that we are saying there is no market for them, but at least for me it is trying to let it be put out there that the fans of unpainted who are saying there is no market for prepainted is also not true. Just turning you thought around just because prepainted does not appeal to you does not mean your preference is the end-al of the market forces either.

Some of the prepainted stuff that I have got is much better than I can do, and even though I hate to paint it is not because I can not do it, I just get no enjoyment out of it, and it does raise my frustration level. And as I said above I do not know what prepainted games you play, but the ones that I have in the past were not that bad, no were near as bad as it sounds like you think every single prepainted unit ever is.

What 28mm (or similar) scale wargames have had prepainted miniatures? I'm trying to go through the list in my head, Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar, Wrath of Kings, Infinity, Maulifax, Guildball, Blood Bowl, numerous Kickstarter games, **** even FFG board games don't come prepainted. The main reason they don't is it's not economical, and I'm struggling to think of a game that has made a profit while doing it.

Also thier time to market will be alot longer if they have to paint all the mini's. I'm glad they are not painted as i enjoyed painting my IA units. I wont paint my third stormtooper squad now though :)

3 hours ago, DScipio said:

Not even the same thing at all. Not even close. Angular starships with two colors and a wash are easy to paint. Humanoid figures with 4+ colors is much much more expensive. In xwing your squad is at most 8 models, in armada using the prepainted models (not floatillas) it's 6. In Legion a full squad could be Vader and 54 stormtroopers. The extra expense is massive by comparison. For crap paint jobs. To satisfy a handful of players. Stop with the false equivalency.

I am glad these aren't pre-painted. Some of the stuff from Armada and X-wing looks pretty bad. I have repainted all my imperials in armada, i don't play enough x-wing to care.

FFG is starting to embrace the hobby aspect as well as gameplay. I have a personal friend who won't play this game. 2 kids, a wife, and a job will see to that. He will still buy this game because he is a big time hobbyist and star wars fan (has 501st approved vader suit). He simply enjoys a drink, some tv and some model painting in his evenings. These are the people GW caters too (or used too) and FFG is trying to get a slice of the pie.

Just pay someone to paint them if it bothers you that much. This type of game is both a GAME and a HOBBY. I paint a lot more than I play. Some people play more than they paint. It's just the nature of the beast.

Besides, a decent paint job which would still be better than a prepaint will probably cost you the same in the long run

On 8/20/2017 at 10:09 AM, Guest Aeneades said:

I don't think it's weird at all and neither would anyone who has work and family commitments.

I used to paint and game but for the past 6 months or so my workload has increased and I am spending an extra 20 hours a week in the office. This means that after other commitments I may have 3 or 4 hours a week to devote to my hobby. I decide to spend that gaming rather than painting, it's not such an uncommon things for adults to have to compromise on what they do with there free time. At some point in the future I hope to have the time to paint as well as game a lot more but for the moment that isn't a possibility.

I find ample time to wash though, thanks.

I must be superhuman. I have work and family commitments. I still find time to paint and when my painting is done I get to play.

What I don't do is buy 80 figs at a time. I buy in manageable chunks 3-5 typically, paint those(monthly), play a bit, buy more. That means at the end of the year I have like 50-60 fully painted models.

I don't think this has yet been mentioned, but not having prepainted figures also accelerates the manufacturing process significantly, which means we'll have to wait a lot less for new stuff to come out. If you've played Armada in the past year you know it takes a while for product to get to stores while you look on in envy as Runewars gets firehosed with new product.

I am just over halfway done painting all the IA minis I own, and now am looking at the prospect of having to rebuy and repaint a bunch of very slightly different scale versions of the stuff I just spent all sorts of time and money painting. I think that's going to put me on the not buying Legion category. I already barely get any use out of my IA painted minis as opposed to the tons and tons of use I get from X-Wing which has a much larger community in my area. Maybe this game will become a wild success and a huge following will make the time and investment seem worthwhile, but at least initially I'll steer clear.

With FFG transitioning away from making games where you buy single models at a time (X-Wing/Armada) towards making games where you buy multiple figures at a time (Runewars, IA, Legion) I think it's safe to say that there will be no more games with pre-painted models forthcoming.

Of course it would require excessively more work to have Legion minis prepainted. Not only do they require more detail work then the ships of xwing/armada, the number of minis involved will also be extensive. Having them all prepainted is not resonable.

x-wing core comes with 3 minis.

armada core comes with 3 minis.

Legion comes with what, 30+ minis.

Thats painting ONE Legion coreset with the same amount of work as TEN of the others, even more since every single Legion mini requires more work then any of the x-wing/armada models.

There is a reason the fighters in Armada isnt prepainted.

Unpainted minis = better sculpted minis at a cheaper price and/or better material.

If they paint them, expect 35-40USD for 5 stormtroopers. No thanks.