FFG: PLEASE PRE-PAINT

By APOLLO457, in Star Wars: Legion

Painting miniatures is the worst! One of the biggest draws for me to X-Wing and Armada was the fun, immersive experience you could have with the game right out of the box. Having fully painted miniatures adds so much to the game, and one of my biggest praises for FFG games was the fact that I didn't have to waste time painting every little figure. I and many others do not have the time or energy to paint armies worth of miniatures, and the people who do want to paint will happily strip off or paint over a pre-painted mini. I love where you are headed with this game FFG, but I really think you should consider selling these miniatures pre-painted.

Overall though, thank you for making great innovative star wars themed games! Keep up the great work!

no. Some guys (I think with bacground in other miniature games) prefer unpainted minis. Some others (my guess would be board-game players) would prefer painted. I prefer unpainted. Stripping paint is not the best idea. If you do not like to paint by yourself, you can pay someone for doing it. It will be no more costly than pre-painted minis would have to be.

Why starting another thread about the same thing??

8 minutes ago, Jarema said:

no. Some guys (I think with bacground in other miniature games) prefer unpainted minis. Some others (my guess would be board-game players) would prefer painted. I prefer unpainted. Stripping paint is not the best idea. If you do not like to paint by yourself, you can pay someone for doing it. It will be no more costly than pre-painted minis would have to be.

Why starting another thread about the same thing??

I stink at assembling and painting models. It's that simple. It's what finally put me off Games Workshop, in addition to the prices.

That said I agree totally with you here.

Armada and X-Wing are fantastic. Two out of three is nothing to complain about. I might try to do some painting myself, but it's more likely I'll commission someone. Much easier.

Seeing I even repaint and retouch Xwing and Armada, if this was prepainted I wouldn't buy it.

You can always tell how long someone has been an FFG fan. The new ones are the ones that say that one of the things they like about FFG games is the prepainted minis. Most of their games don't have that. Xwing and Armada are actually two of the only ones. Most of their games have unpainted minis.

Edited by TallTonyB
3 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

You can always tell how long someone has been an FFG fan. The new ones are the ones that say that one of the things they like about FFG games is the prepainted minis. Most of their games don't have that. Xwing and Armada are actually two of the only ones. Most of their games have unpainted minis.

I started with FFG with Xwing, but I was a player of 40k, warhammer and FoW for decades....lol

7 hours ago, Jarema said:

Stripping paint is not the best idea.

I've painted some of the X-wing models, and you don't need to strip them. A coat of primer over their thin coat of factory paint is all you need.

I suppose it depends on model. I am no expert at painting, but I think that is better solution in most cases.

I hate painting so having repainted would be nice, and production painted is much cheaper than commissioning someone to paint an army.

It's not going to happen.

FFG responded to this last year in an interview when asked about prepainted figures for imperial assault. They said it was much more challenging to prepaint character models than vehicles (e.g. X-wing) and these would cost more and be of lower quality than the x-wing game.

I am just at a stage in life where I do not have the time (or money), but it's really time, to assemble and paint. So, sadly

thus game is a pretty hard pass for me and I am just going to stoke with IA.

Thanks for trying ffg, but I am not buying. Preprinted? I would be in!

they could sell some boxes with miniatures painted but limited stock and much more $$$ for those who want painted characters.

3 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

they could sell some boxes with miniatures painted but limited stock and much more $$$ for those who want painted characters.

Have you seen the quality of their prepainted arkham horror miniatures?

FFG prepaints for characters have been awful. The oreoaints are only good for X-Wing and Armada as it is so much easier to pre-paint vehicles and the mistakes are easier to hide.

if Legion did come prepaintes then you are looking at doubling the price and a random chance of getting either just about acceptable or appealing paint jobs.

9 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Not sure I follow. I've been playing FFG games since the first printing of Twilight Imperium (almost 20 years ago).

Yet one of the things I like about FFG games is the prepainted minis (x-wing and armada).

Edited by Democratus

I'm just saying that when people say stuff like "one of the things I like most about FFG games is the prepainted minis" I just look and go... What prepainted minis? Xwing, Armada, and...

Unpainted minis: IA, mansions of madness, battlelore, descent, xcom, runebound, doom, fallout, runewars, cavetroll....

FFG games have always been unpainted minis. The people who think otherwise obviously started with xwing and never looked past it. It's not a big deal, but they have to realize that most things are not prepainted for a reason. Not every mini is as easy to prepaint as angular two color starships. It's expensive.

Problem these days with unpainted miniatures games is that you miss the new player market. I understand why they are unpainted but I would gladly pay more for painted. Fantasy Flight is listening to the old crowd not the new crowd. People these days live busier lives and do not have time to paint miniatures. They might think well it's star wars people will buy it, NO they won't.

I'm in the "not sure I have the time to paint 33+ miniatures which is partially why I love X-Wing and Armada" club. I have painted a few IA mini's for fun and they have been relatively time consuming to get right, multiplying that by a factor of 30 is a little daunting.

2 hours ago, Jut said:

I am just at a stage in life where I do not have the time (or money), but it's really time, to assemble and paint. So, sadly

thus game is a pretty hard pass for me and I am just going to stoke with IA.

Thanks for trying ffg, but I am not buying. Preprinted? I would be in!

Weird. You don't have time to paint, but do have time to play?

Must be a gamer thing, many don't have the time to wash either.

19 minutes ago, Bojanglez said:

I'm in the "not sure I have the time to paint 33+ miniatures which is partially why I love X-Wing and Armada" club. I have painted a few IA mini's for fun and they have been relatively time consuming to get right, multiplying that by a factor of 30 is a little daunting.

Your points are valid but I think most mini wargamers will steer you towards some time saving techniques that you might be unaware of (apologies if you are);

coloured spray paint, dry brushing and washes in batches will get those troops done in something like three, 30mins blocks (in front of a tv). Remember that most of the game you aren't peering from 3inches away from the model so they all don't have to be amazing. If you're keen on painting, focus a bit more time on the commanders by adding more colours with a detail brush. Hopefully those guys and gals will live long enough to see the whole game!

GW have done some good videos lately that show that 'hey, most of you will never match our photo quality paint jobs but that's ok, but use these techniques and you'll be pleased with what you can do quickly'. Hoping FFG do something similar.

34 minutes ago, Guest Your living in the past said:

Problem these days with unpainted miniatures games is that you miss the new player market. I understand why they are unpainted but I would gladly pay more for painted. Fantasy Flight is listening to the old crowd not the new crowd. People these days live busier lives and do not have time to paint miniatures. They might think well it's star wars people will buy it, NO they won't.

I keep seeing this idea that only old school wargamers paint and it's absurd and really needs to stop. New people get into the hobby every day, branch out into some of those communities and take a look. Miniature painting isn't some throwback to the 80s where apparently no one had jobs or responsibility.

29 minutes ago, Guest Your living in the past said:

You make a good point. Though for me it's more that....well....let's just say if modelling and painting was a club I'd be barred for life and leave it at that :unsure:

So I admit I look for gaming mats, prepainted terrain and models. I would have the time, I just don't have the skill, or patience to practice and learn the level of skill needed, to paint well. I'd be far too embarrassed to show some of my failed attempts.

So yeah, if I were put off getting into Legion it would only be because of the unassembled and unpainted miniatures. But if FFG price them right, and I can find a good place to have them commission done, I'm in and there won't be any stopping me.

Anything else but Star Wars and I would pass simply because of having to assemble and paint.

Even if painting is a common hobby for wargamers, from the number of unpainted armies I recall seeing at tournaments there are at least as many gamers who are not.......

Also I do think it would make sense to (also) provide painted minis. While cost will surely increase I think there are many gamers of today which have good disposable incomes and less time they want or can spend on painting, so having a differentiated model (like they have done for some prior games) with painted premium and unpainted basic may make sense.

14 minutes ago, Moon of Dalo said:

Weird. You don't have time to paint, but do have time to play?

Must be a gamer thing, many don't have the time to wash either.

I don't think it's weird at all and neither would anyone who has work and family commitments.

I used to paint and game but for the past 6 months or so my workload has increased and I am spending an extra 20 hours a week in the office. This means that after other commitments I may have 3 or 4 hours a week to devote to my hobby. I decide to spend that gaming rather than painting, it's not such an uncommon things for adults to have to compromise on what they do with there free time. At some point in the future I hope to have the time to paint as well as game a lot more but for the moment that isn't a possibility.

I find ample time to wash though, thanks.

1 minute ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

You make a good point. Though for me it's more that....well....let's just say if modelling and painting was a club I'd be barred for life and leave it at that :unsure:

So I admit I look for gaming mats, prepainted terrain and models. I would have the time, I just don't have the skill, or patience to practice and learn the level of skill needed, to paint well. I'd be far too embarrassed to show some of my failed attempts.

So yeah, if I were put off getting into Legion it would only be because of the unassembled and unpainted miniatures. But if FFG price them right, and I can find a good place to have them commission done, I'm in and there won't be any stopping me.

Anything else but Star Wars and I would pass simply because of having to assemble and paint.

I'm sorry to hear that you'd be embarrassed; ppl are quick to point out flaws in other people's efforts (especially arty-crafty types of things) without being master's (or even competent) themselves, so be proud of your efforts.

If ppl don't like your minis tell em to do it better; if they do better, tell em to teach you how!