Help talk me down...

By ScummyRebel, in Star Wars: Legion

I operate on a limited hobby budget. I am hopelessly addicted to x-wing, and the guns for hire (viable starvipers) and now the gunboat coming in wave 12 are not helping any. I've always sworn I will not get into a second "collectible" or "expanding" game.

Then yesterday happened.

Please someone convince me I don't need Legion.

Join the dark side... you need that game...

You need legion

9 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I operate on a limited hobby budget. I am hopelessly addicted to x-wing, and the guns for hire (viable starvipers) and now the gunboat coming in wave 12 are not helping any. I've always sworn I will not get into a second "collectible" or "expanding" game.

Then yesterday happened.

Sorry, but no. You need this in your life.

You're in the wrong part of town, my man...

A wise old man once said; You must do what you feel is right.

46 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Then yesterday happened.

You don't need Legion. What you actually need is air, sleep and nourishment.

There. Did it help?

Honestly, this is all my predictions but, Legion is going to be the most expensive game to get into that FFG has done. (Excluding all CCGs they are a trap).

All we have seen so far are starter set battles and we can exert those to be ver small compaired to actual competitive/tournament level play. So you are going to need a ton of models. Then your going to need to paint them all. (Assembling shouldn't be to hard). But if you want a real epic feel you are going to need to build some terrain. This is going to get expensive.

Your armies are going to get so large that you are no longer going to be able to afford to be some of everything, so if you guess wrong on the meta your armies are going to just lose, unless you reinvest.

Battles are going to take 2-3 hours up to your whole Saturday.

I might be writing this to remind myself why of all the reasons I don't play Warhammer, but If you think this is going to be one more game for your already stretched resources, it is going to be way more than that.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of...

Thanks everybody.

I'm less worried about the painting (even though I've never done it) or the time. I have more time than money.

Edited by ScummyRebel

So take some deep breaths and go to your happy place and start working out how many core sets you are going to get.

We are Legion join us

Skip the 40th ship with a tiny difference in red dice or green dice and get a whole new game.

As I believe with all ffg starter boxes, this one included. There is little reason, outside of impatience, to every but more than one starter boxes of minis. You will be able to fill out the army shortly after with wave 1.

@ScummyRebel You're good enough, you're smart enough, and josh darn it, people will still like you even if you don't have Legion.

And if you are truly worried about the cost, well, you actually don't need two Kidneys.

Not true for any FFG LCG I've played, multiple cores are pretty standard. Though not technically required for x-wing, multiple cores are usually desirable for the extra templates and dice -- and they tend to be cheaper than buying the minis via expansions.

I don't know which way this'll go, but I'm not discounting the idea of getting multiple cores yet.

Ah, they will have dice packs and movement tools as separate SKUs. You won't have enough units out of the core to field an army, so wait 3 weeks for the first batch of expansions to come out, then you'll have enough.

Do you have imperial assault? If you do, you don't need Legion. Many of the mechanics seem similar except they took it off the grid system.

48 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Do you have imperial assault? If you do, you don't need Legion. Many of the mechanics seem similar except they took it off the grid system.

No, I really only have x-wing as far as modern gaming. Axis & Allies or that sort of thing but that's all.

1 hour ago, Norsehound said:

IMO it is not similar at all. Almost all mechanics are different.

I would rather say "it is almost Armada. Just with troopers instead of ships"

Play a little less of both, and you can have both.

Variety makes my tail wag. I don't dump tons into one system. Stings less when it goes south later, as many often do.

Don't forget cost of paint and brushes, however. CC companies are not our friends.

9 minutes ago, Jarema said:

IMO it is not similar at all. Almost all mechanics are different.

I would rather say "it is almost Armada. Just with troopers instead of ships"

I can't get behind that comparison. Armada lets you field one of the largest spaceships in the universe (An Imperial Star Destroyer) easily into the game so you could play it that way. I find it hard to picture jamming in multiple AT-ATs into this system.

If this were armada with troopers instead of ships (like most of us were hoping), AT-ATs would be on small ship bases and infantry would be on squadron bases. Fighters would have a new movement mechanic to govern them like X-Wing where they have a fixed range of movement. Mix accordingly and boom: Battle of Hoth. FFG instead chose to free up the IA system so they could compete directly with Warhammer 40K.

This is an infantry game. It's about special characters and groups of invididual troopers, with occasional support vehicles, fighting it out in a small space. To me this scope is already covered by Imperial Assault, except instead of narrow cooridors and caves, you have open spaces. It's less awkward to use AT-STs and armor units here, but that's still the largest practical unit you could field on the battlefield. While I've never tried the Imperial Assault system on an open square grid, that's pretty much how I imagined what would become Legion.

Watching General Games' demo video at Gencon, the talk of surge results being modified by characters and defense via dice is very similar to how Imperial Assault resolves shots. It looks almost like it was lifted entirely and modified, also flipping to D8s over D6s. There's a new activation mechanic present as well, perhaps for the sake of getting some control over the game based on FFG's experiences with Imperial Assault.

Really the only mechanic I saw lifted out of Armada is the segmented movement tool, and it really makes sense for something that has to move almost linearly like the speederbikes.

Edited by Norsehound

you are talking IMO about contents, and I was talking about mechanics. I purposefully exaggerated , of course. But there is almost no shared mechanics between IA and Legion. Movement is totally different (not only lack of grid, but also terrain and squad movement rule). Fight is quite different (IMO mechanically more similar to X-wing than IA). Army building will be strongly different (for example, no command deck). So, every aspect of game differs IMO. What do not differ is content: squad-level fight set in SW universe.

You still have two values for fighting that trigger depending on context (hand to hand vs shooting) that is only used in Imperial Assault. The other miniatures games either go out of their way for a special attack (X-Wing upgrade cards), or just repeat/enhance the attack they have anyway (Armada)

I mentioned the surge mechanic, which is similar to X-Wing's focus but is an exact term copied from IA. That every character/unit card has built-in ways to handle surge effects is exactly how skirmish unit cards handle it in Imperial Assault.

This game has hit points with damage tokens, also more IA than X-Wing/Armada (which uses damage cards with critical effects). In fact, the token used in the demo is a color-reverse of the one used in Imperial Assault (red on white instead of white on red).

Ability tokens like aiming and dodging are more involved than the simple Focus token of X-Wing, and feel more specialized than the lesser-commands of Armada. Since we will probably have other condition tokens in the future, it feels very much like the tokens given to players in IA based on when something happens. X-Wing does a bit of this now, but Armada doesn't, with the slight exception of the Interdictor cruiser.

When you activate a unit, you're really activating the leader and pulling troopers along... which is more similar to IA's activating of a unit card and moving/using all the constituent troopers. The closest in Armada to that is revealing a squadron command to push fighters, before attacking with the ship.

Also, IA is the only other Star Wars miniatures games with unpainted minis.

So... I see a lot of mechanics having more similarity with IA than any of the other minuatures games. That and the scope really illustrate to me that this game is just a streamlined version of IA meant more for competing with 40K than being an entirely new system. Since FFG puts quality into nice custom made components, robust tools, and elliminating computation... I think they stand a good chance of doing it.

I may even like the game more than IA because it'll be easier to do AT-ST groups and have an easier time moving stormtroopers. But... it won't put away my disappointment over this not being the game I was imagining when we first caught wind of it. It's more on the X-wing level of scope than Armada, which I still feel is needed for ground battles.

Edited by Norsehound