Demo from GenCon

By Guest, in Star Wars: Legion

OK some notes

• black dice (rebel blasters) are better than white dice (storm trooper blasters)
  • cover reduces uncancelled hits against targets by one
  • cover cannot cancel critical hits
  • there are offensive and defensive surge abilities
  • storm troopers only have offensive surge abilities (can change surges to hits)
  • rebel troopers only have defensive surge abilities (can change surges to defends)
  • the red and white defense dice are d6s
  • red defense dice is better than white
  • storm troopers use red and rebel troopers use white defense dice
  • range measurment tool is four-part disassemblable stick
  • movement tools at short and medium distance each have two straight sections connected by one pivot
  • units have cover if at least half of the figs in the unit have cover
  • command tokens/unit categories are core, support, and command
  • vehicles have firing arcs
  • move is the only action that a unit can take twice during an activation
  • vehicles moving together in a squad must end movement with their firing arcs oriented in the same way
  • like movement, unit firing range is measured from leader
Edited by Manchu

Some guys are worried about 1000 pts army for each side but note that Vader alone without upgrades is 200 and Luke is 160...

• There are levels of terrain. Luke has "Jump 1."
  • an aim token allows you to reroll 2 blank firing results
  • storm troopers have special rule "precise" which allows them to roll one further blank when use aim token
Edited by Manchu

Also, at 22:37 we can see on the AT-RT card this special ability:

Climbing Vehicle (you are treated as a trooper for the purposes of vertical movement.)

This implies that as opposed to Runewars (where units just teleport on an elevated terrain for free), there will be a notion of vertical movement (and paying an action for it) on the 3D terrains/buildings.

This could also suggest that the terrain pieces included in the core are not simple flat templates like in Runewars. But then I would not get too excited and expect a nice 3D building, they will probably just be cover obstacles like the barriers we see on the demo table (that would still be cool in my opinion).

Great demo. Hope there are more rules demos coming out soon. So it seems, though, that you always want the squad leader always up front, and the squad leader is always going to be the last to be removed. Are there going to be benefits or special rules for squad leaders? Because if there wasn't, wouldn't you just measure from closest model to closest model, as you would always want your squad leader as closest?

Thanks!

Terrain doesn't seem to do much, cancels 1 hit. Maybe so,etching against a smaller skilled unit, but if you are throwing a lot of attack dice, stoping a single hit seems insufficient.

6 minutes ago, Hrathen said:

Terrain doesn't seem to do much, cancels 1 hit. Maybe so,etching against a smaller skilled unit, but if you are throwing a lot of attack dice, stoping a single hit seems insufficient.

Well, the only piece of terrain we saw in action were those barriers... There might be more interesting stuff coming.

Just out of my mind:

Bunker: blocks critical hits too

Sniper tower: all hits are considered critical hits when shooting from there

Barbed wire: every miniature passing over it immediately suffer 1 white die attack

Should I keep going on? ;)

Edited by Xargonaut

I am thinking there may be various types of cover and the demo worked on the KISS principle, similar to how the available command cards prevented a priority tie (although there are of course rules for what to do when ther is a priority tie).

1 hour ago, Xargonaut said:

This could also suggest that the terrain pieces included in the core are not simple flat templates like in Runewars. But then I would not get too excited and expect a nice 3D building, they will probably just be cover obstacles like the barriers we see on the demo table (that would still be cool in my opinion).

8 of the barriers are the core set terrain.

Just now, Manchu said:

I am thinking there may be various types of cover and the demo worked on the KISS principle, similar to how the available command cards prevented a priority tie (although there are of course rules for what to do when ther is a priority tie).

There are more than one level of cover. The speeder bikes are always treated as cover 1, and still get other cover bonuses as well.

Are those card board barriers?

no

Plastic?????

Yes. There are also rules on how to keyword your own custom terrain, much like runewars, but much deeper.

Terrain should be almost negating the attack in general since even a corridor in the movies tends to eat 99.9% of the attacks in starwars....lol

Just now, Vineheart01 said:

Terrain should be almost negating the attack in general since even a corridor in the movies tends to eat 99.9% of the attacks in starwars....lol

lol, oh come on now...

I like the way the movement tool is limiting to vehicles and yet works with infantry in a different way.

6 minutes ago, Amanal said:

I like the way the movement tool is limiting to vehicles and yet works with infantry in a different way.

I'm actually a little skeptical on the movement tool with infantry. In the demo, when he moved the unit from behind cover the unit had to take a wide berth because the tool simply didn't bend that far. So if you want to move from one side of cover to the other you can't in one move. It's a little off putting. Hopefully if it's low enough cover they can hop over.

the game seemed nice. and for a core box i think it is a ok box , 2 heroes, 2 leaders, 2 mini armies and vehicles for both sides. the gameplay rules seemed cool and realistic as said before by Manchu.

i hope this is the game that will expand all star wars universe ( prequel, ot, sequel ). it seems that with time it will kill Ia too.. btw will they sell the rest showed in the video ? ( covers, houses, playmat.. )

1 hour ago, power500500 said:

I'm actually a little skeptical on the movement tool with infantry. In the demo, when he moved the unit from behind cover the unit had to take a wide berth because the tool simply didn't bend that far. So if you want to move from one side of cover to the other you can't in one move. It's a little off putting. Hopefully if it's low enough cover they can hop over.

They say in the video you can choose to move only partially along the template.

Edit: oh I see what you mean. maybe there's rules for that. There must be surely, they have to have considered infantry may not just want to go vaguely forward with a bend. Probably something like 'if the unit wants to move through low cover then use a shorter template

Edited by Sk3tch
1 minute ago, Sk3tch said:

They say in the video you can choose to move only partially along the template.

That doesn't really help the angle at which the tool bends though. I'm going to watch it again and see if I can explain it to you.

2 minutes ago, power500500 said:

That doesn't really help the angle at which the tool bends though. I'm going to watch it again and see if I can explain it to you.

I see what you mean now. See my edit above

What about deployment and objectives? I could see something similar to Runewars.

About command cards, I could see more and different ones coming with different leaders.

And the icons on the left upgrades?

Looking good so far.

TAKE MY MONEY!