So i'm apparently the only one.....

By Tirion, in Star Wars: Legion

Is this my dream Star Wars ground tabletop game? No. That would have been set in the clone wars era for two reasons; a) Clones are awesome and they would have been more fun to paint. b) There is more content there.

Rank and file CW era combat would have been fun I think. So while there were rumors about this game for over a year and it has not been what my brain cooked I think many of us, if not most of us, need to take a step back and wait for the release. If there hadn't been an official leak by alliance a few days ago would anyone be upset today about this announcement? Ok well Nelson and Ben but aside from them? These models mostly look great, and judging by FFgs past mins games it will have at worst a solid rules system. Pretty safe bet there will be plenty of future content as well. Which makes me wonder why everyone is so upset about the contents of the starter and being sad there are no big walkers. They will come. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw AT-STs within a year of release. AT-ATs will be spendy but they'll get here. I'm thinking around the price of an ISD for Armada. Nd saying this is basically IA doesn't quite make sense to me. Disclaimer I have never played it so this is an extremely uneducated opinion but to my understanding IA is a dungeon crawler/grid game more akin to a board game than a table top game. Maybe i'm way off on that.

I guess all this goes to say is I'm REALLY excited for this game, but maybe I'm the only one.

Nah, you are far from the only one excited about this. The game will do huge business and get awesome support from FFG. Like you say, it will have very solid rules. I think it will be a ton of fun, too.

There's a bunch of WH40k players in my local community, all with their brand new 8th edition stuff, who are totally *gushing* over wanting to play SW:L since they're all Star Wars fans at heart. I think FFG is on the right track with this.

There was a comment from Sorastro (who's privy but under NDA to some of the stuff that's coming down the pipe) who was saying that the quality of the vehicles that are coming is excellent.

I am also very excited about this. I just bought into 8th edition 40k to scratch that miniatures-gaming itch, and I'm ready to jump ship next year!

While a little disappointed on the scale of the game, my five year old self from 1977 is jumping for joy. My sons and I level of anticipation is building. Looking forward to hopefully re-creating the Battle of Scarif from the ground, air and space.

I will huddle in this topic for warmth.

4 minutes ago, Pintofstout said:

I will huddle in this topic for warmth.

It's cold out there

It's also a good thread for those on low-sodium diets. ;)

One neat thing I learned from the vid is that while, all things being equal, storm troopers (rolling white dice) miss more often than rebel troopers (rolling black dice), storm troopers who aim instead of moving can re-roll one more blank than aiming rebel troopers. I don't know what the dice faces are, but it stand to reason that stationary storm troopers hit more often than rebel troopers. That also means, however, that rebel troopers are effectively more maneuverable. Of course, the storm troopers lose their edge once they are down to two troopers left in a squad. Neat little details like this give me confidence in the design.

Wearing body armor, storm troopers (rolling red dice) are also better at absorbing fire than rebel troopers (rolling white dice) - except that rebel troopers can convert defense dice surges into blocks, whereas storm stroopers cannot. It's also worth noting that the opposite is true for shooting: storm troopers can convert shooting dice surges into hits, rebel troops cannot. But as I understand it, red dice are better than black dice. So while rebel troopers are one step better than storm troopers as far as shooting goes, storm troopers are two steps better than rebel troopers on defense rolls, again before factoring in surge conversions.

Edited by Manchu

I too am very interested in this. IA has never scratched the itch I have for a real Star Wars skirmish game, it being (in reality) a dungeon crawler.

I'd like to know, however, what the likely rough groundscale is going to be. By that I don't mean the size of the figures (which is being raged about on multiple pages elsewhere on this forum!), but whether the miniatures are supposed to be 1:1 with their environs . In other words, if the miniatures are 35mm tall, then does 35mm on the table represent around 6 feet? (For example, this is not the case in X-Wing, in which the existence of quite different modelling scales for 'huge' and 'small' ship miniatures means that one or other can't be 1:1 with their environs).

To put it another way, a game that had a maximum range for blasters of 30 cm or so (as in X-Wing) would not be my cup of tea.

I guess we will see the typical three factions for this game as well.

But FFG could have had the opportunity to make several factions here. So many different races that all have homes and armies it could have been an opportunity to get out of the typical three factions were used to.

Oh and yeah, im interested but still undecided if I can afford the money and time to jump on yet another game. Already have Twilight Imperium on preorder as well so :/

Edited by Soulless

I'm not sure yet. For me the scale (in terms of # of minis) is perfect. I have no interest in rank-and-file games where miniatures become glorified hitpoint counters, and one maneuvers trays instead of miniatures. It's also star wars. There are three main worries for me:

1. No mention yet of how terrain will be used. If this is maneuvering soldiers over flat surfaces with occaisional terrain blockers then I'm out. I have enough moving-minis-on-flat-surfaces-with-template games (armada, x-wing, D&D attack wing). If this has good support for 3d terrain (e.g. like infinity or maybe malifaux) then I'm probably in. Existing games in that genre have various cons for me (lead-containing alloys or themes I don't like as much)

2. Blank faces on dice. Anything is more interesting than blanks. This is just aggravating. Is there really no better mechanic than this?

3. The designer is Alex Davy. I'm a little worried about this but I also only know of one thing to judge him on: X-wing. I am not a fan of the direction x-wing took after he came on board. I don't think it's because he's a bad designer per se, but nonetheless I lost interest in X-wing in large part because of decisions made by the new design team: an unnecessary third faction, power creep, turret proliferation, dilution of faction identity, and the total loss of anything that felt star-warsy as the OT ships fell by the wayside in favour of weird ships from all over the place (not the introduction of these ships so much as the decision to make them over-powered relative to the original trilogy ships. Why is the ARC-170 better than the x-wing???). Still, there is no doubt that x-wing is a hard thing to inherit, with a huge community and competitive scene that has to be appeased, and an existing rule set.

I also hope the scale of this vs. imperial assault isn't too far off. I don't mind they disallow the use of IA minis at official events, I get why they may need to do that. But I only play at home, and I really don't want to buy and paint two versions of Luke, Han, Vader, etc.

Anyway, I'm way more interested in this than Runewars. (I probably like the Runewars theme a little better though -- I have lots of star wars already -- but I just have no interest in playing with trays instead of miniatures)

59 minutes ago, hismhs said:

I too am very interested in this. IA has never scratched the itch I have for a real Star Wars skirmish game, it being (in reality) a dungeon crawler.

I'd like to know, however, what the likely rough groundscale is going to be. By that I don't mean the size of the figures (which is being raged about on multiple pages elsewhere on this forum!), but whether the miniatures are supposed to be 1:1 with their environs . In other words, if the miniatures are 35mm tall, then does 35mm on the table represent around 6 feet? (For example, this is not the case in X-Wing, in which the existence of quite different modelling scales for 'huge' and 'small' ship miniatures means that one or other can't be 1:1 with their environs).

To put it another way, a game that had a maximum range for blasters of 30 cm or so (as in X-Wing) would not be my cup of tea.

Figure scale never matches up with ground scale in miniature games, it's not feasible for gameplay to have that level of simulation. If it did match up, an infantry grenade in a 28mm wargame would have a kill zone the radius of twelve inches and a 9mm handgun would have an effective range of 20 yards on-table, for example.

Edited by player1750031

I'm also excited for Legion, @Tirion ! You're not alone.

Personally, I always kindof looked with admiration at the Runewars and 40K players in my area, thinking "I wish I could fiels my own army, but have it be Stormtroopers instead of Space Marines." Well...FFG just answered that. Here's hoping for lots of good expansion packs!

9 hours ago, Slugrage said:

There's a bunch of WH40k players in my local community, all with their brand new 8th edition stuff, who are totally *gushing* over wanting to play SW:L since they're all Star Wars fans at heart. I think FFG is on the right track with this.

The FFG designers did stellar work with X-Wing and Armada. So their rules for Legion will probably no match for this company from Nottingham that prides itself for "selling minis, not rules", as their rules are what you would expect after such a statement.

3 hours ago, player1750031 said:

Figure scale never matches up with ground scale in miniature games, it's not feasible for gameplay to have that level of simulation. If it did match up, an infantry grenade in a 28mm wargame would have a kill zone the radius of twelve inches and a 9mm handgun would have an effective range of 20 yards on-table, for example.

My guess is that similar to some of their other games it will use a sliding scale as they have had success with that in the past

I had a chance to watch the demo posted in this forum. I am really really digging the mechanics. I hope the age of I activate all my stuff and you then respond with all your stuff is coming to an end. My excitement continues to grow from just this little snippet. I really like how movement is simplified with just moving the leader and then maintaining squad coherency. It's early days yet, but it looks like the game will move along for each player at a fair clip.

5 minutes ago, Pintofstout said:

I had a chance to watch the demo posted in this forum. I am really really digging the mechanics. I hope the age of I activate all my stuff and you then respond with all your stuff is coming to an end. My excitement continues to grow from just this little snippet. I really like how movement is simplified with just moving the leader and then maintaining squad coherency. It's early days yet, but it looks like the game will move along for each player at a fair clip.

Having also watched this today, I gotta agree with you here. Quick movement, easy LoS, I-go-you-go, strategic planning each turn. Star Wars! Well done FFG,well done indeed.

Edited by Dice lord

I'm pretty stoked. I would have preferred 15mm or so to make Legion to IA like Armada is to X-Wing, but I was never going to touch IA. This system looks like what I've wanted for a long time.

14 hours ago, Slugrage said:

I am such a creature.

Looking at the demo there is a lot of subtle game play.

I have already commented that the movement tool makes it easy to move infantry and at the same time the tool when used by vehicles is constraining and yet quite simple to use.

The idea that we play strategic cards and that allows us to mess with initiative and what we can activate somewhat is great, though 1-4 units from an average of 8-10 or so will still leave some random element.

Which in turn raises the question: Is it better to activate the good units too early or not.

Luke in the demo took 3 hits from stormtrooper fire, I expect that as the model count ramps up this should mean that heroic characters are good, but will not be a one man army to themselves.

I'm pretty excited, to be honest. But I feel like with this kind of game the base release needs more stuff. Yes, a base game box, but it also needs additional squads along side of the base game. I'm not going to buy multiple sets of the base game to expand my armies after all.

I guess it's early still, but I'm waiting for the squad sets to start dropping before i start buying. I like to have full armies, not just a cut down core example of a game. I'm one of those all or nothing kind of guys I guess. My initial Armada purchase was over $400. When I got into 40K I purchased my 1500pt army in one shot. It's just how I work I guess.

I think the game looks awesome and I can't wait.

Frankly im a bit disappointed by all the complaining already about it potentially not being comparable with Imperial assault. I am no rookie to game forums so I shouldn't be " that" surprised but still.

I'm really excited for this game.

I purchased two of almost all the IA box expansions, because I like to troop build. While playing Skirmish, I liked having one hero and multiple squads, (Fett with Gamorreans, Bossk with Trandosan Hunters, or Chewie with the Wookies, ). I did this because deep down I wanted IA to be this game. Now I can sale my extras to fund this game.