Whats paints would you recommend?

By Moeaswordusrex, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

So when it comes to painting, I'm very much... well... crap, but I do still enjoy a lot.

So far I have been using acrylics, which surprisingly actually hasn't been too bad,but I have noticed one thing that bugs me about it... The texture looks a little odd, often on lighter tones, like skin shades. Generally it doesn't bother me, but I would be interested in trying some paints actually made for models, I was just wondering what you guys would recommend.... but please just remember, I'm new, and I suck.

I use mostly Vallejo, reaper, and model master acrylic paint. I do have a few citadel and army painter pants. I would recommend trying a color similar to the one you are having problems with. See if it does the same with the brand of acrylic paint you are currently using. If it works well then use that brand.

1 hour ago, supersayian said:

I use mostly Vallejo, reaper, and model master acrylic paint. I do have a few citadel and army painter pants. I would recommend trying a color similar to the one you are having problems with. See if it does the same with the brand of acrylic paint you are currently using. If it works well then use that brand.

Cheers, ill give em a look.

Are you using craft paints (Folk Art, Plaid, Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat, etc.)? If so, if you can find some "acrylic medium", "flow improver", or something similar that might help.

But most paints are acrylic anymore, whether you're talking about Apple Barrel or Vallejo. You don't want to deal with enamels.

I use Reaper (but have used craft paints before). I tend to be a "one-brand" guy, so I don't dabble--plus once I switched over to Reaper, I have no intention of going back to craft paints.

I use citadel (GW) colours. Works great and it is what Sorastro use in his videos of those are of any interest.

If you are a patron of his. He has a conversion chart of citadel to Vallejo which is pretty close on some colors. Others are spot on and I have been using his chart while painting some royal guards. Mixing the colors he says is really close and they are cheaper per bottle and you get more in each bottle. I go for the lessor expensive paint and I still use craft paint because some times they have the colors I am looking for.

On 19/08/2017 at 4:24 AM, Strawhat said:

Are you using craft paints (Folk Art, Plaid, Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat, etc.)? If so, if you can find some "acrylic medium", "flow improver", or something similar that might help.

But most paints are acrylic anymore, whether you're talking about Apple Barrel or Vallejo. You don't want to deal with enamels.

I use Reaper (but have used craft paints before). I tend to be a "one-brand" guy, so I don't dabble--plus once I switched over to Reaper, I have no intention of going back to craft paints.

After doing some research and realising some quite simple things, yes I was using just some pretty standard cheap craft paint. From what I can tell Vallejo seems to be quite a good choice, I think I'm gonna try that.

Cheers for the input guys.

Yeah, you are going to want miniature paints. They are more expensive than regular craft paints meant for canvas, but they are formulated to work well on miniatures and well give the best outcome. Vallejo is a good choice because of the dropper they put their paints in. Citadel is a good choice because you can match them to what Sorastro is doing in his videos although I do not like the pots. Too easy to dry out and contaminate with other colors.

On 25/08/2017 at 9:40 PM, Mep said:

Yeah, you are going to want miniature paints. They are more expensive than regular craft paints meant for canvas, but they are formulated to work well on miniatures and well give the best outcome. Vallejo is a good choice because of the dropper they put their paints in. Citadel is a good choice because you can match them to what Sorastro is doing in his videos although I do not like the pots. Too easy to dry out and contaminate with other colors.

Got a bit of a story to tell... I ended up getting citadel paints because I thought they would be the only miniatures paints near where I live, and they were at a decent price... But I was too hasty, because literally the next shop I stopped at had vallejo paints. I was quite annoyed.

But anyway, the citadel paints were very good and gave my greedo a really nice look, I especially like the washes... But I must agree, the pots are really quite annoying, trying to create colour mixes is a real pain.

I'll get vallejo next time see what sort of difference there is.

I’m thinking about making the switch to Vallejo very soon.

The citadel pots are driving me insane and I feel like I’m wasting a lot of it every session.

Any other comments regarding the comparison between the two lines would be appreciated.

Edited by Armandhammer
spelling
2 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

I’m thinking about making the switch to Vallejo very soon.

The citadel pots are driving me insane and I feel like I’m wasting a lot fit every session.

Any other comments regarding the comparison between the two lines would be appreciated.

Currently I have only tried the citadel stuff, and whilst they are good paints, especially the washes, the pots are very, very annoying.

Short answer: Vallejo paints are great! Go for it.

Here's a link to a similar discussion on the Legion page:

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Short answer: Vallejo paints are great! Go for it.

Here's a link to a similar discussion on the Legion page:

Cheers!