Kid Characters in Genesys?

By Zorm, in Genesys

Will Genesys allow for kid characters/archetypes so can use it to run Grimm, Stranger Things, Goonies or having a plucky kid in other campaigns?

Probably. It's a generic system that seems to have tools in the core book to alter it to your own specifications. (Incidentally, there's nothing stopping you from running a kid character in the three Star Wars lines, either; being a kid is really just a narrative decision and doesn't need to have mechanical impacts.)

Well I am hoping for something more along the lines of something mechanical in nature...Less Wound and Strain threshold less starting experience points, maybe a kid talent tree. Sure I could do it myself but why buy another book if they do not do it for me, I could just use one the star wars I invested in and make it up myself...

2 minutes ago, Zorm said:

Well I am hoping for something more along the lines of something mechanical in nature...Less Wound and Strain threshold less starting experience points, maybe a kid talent tree. Sure I could do it myself but why buy another book if they do not do it for me, I could just use one the star wars I invested in and make it up myself...

Ah, in that case, I doubt it. Maybe if they do a setting book for kid-based adventures, but that's somewhere down the line if at all. Sounds fun, though. :)

yeah that is what I figure, but no harm in asking. Still may get the corebook if a chance of future source book covering it, that would be cool. :)

Depends on how the archetypes work. Star Wars has several existing species that are small (defined by being silhouette 0) and have a lower wound/strain threshold at start that could be used as a reference.

That would be a direction to go, I do hope they cover it, in the main corebook or at least a later source book?

They certainly could be developed with mechanical benefits. Kids tend to bounce back faster than adults from injury and hard work so a Rank or 2 in Rapid Recovery would fit. Low Brawn with a higher Presence probably works and obviously Silhouette 0. Give them 90xp, Wounds 8+ and Strain 11+ and your set.

That sounds cool :) The more I learn about Genesys the more I love it :)

For games where all PCs are kids, I wouldn't see the need. At that point it would just be a matter of perspective.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:46 PM, Zorm said:

maybe a kid talent tree

Hmm... Perhaps a "universal spec tree" except that it would be taken prior to choosing an actual career? Not unlike creating a "0" level character, in other systems? Could be cool for character development, from a roleplay perspective... but what talents would it have, and how would they remain relevant? I guess they wouldn't need to, really...

An Ender kind of kid would fit in adult talent trees. Maybe there could be modifications to attributes due to young age.

There was a similar thread in the EotE forum recently, also.