Misleading?

By kmanweiss, in Star Wars: Legion

I know, it's just an announcement so far, but does anyone else think the professionally painted and based units are a little misleading? I'd be more interested to see what is really going to be in the box. I sure hope all the follow up drip-feed articles are using stock pieces instead of the glammed up versions.

It's the same thing they did with Rune Wars. I think everyone expects unpainted minis at this point but even if they didn't he says flat out in the in-flight report that they are unpainted. Also it's in the product descriptions.

I had the same reaction. They do mention that the miniatures are unpainted fairly early on in the article, but I only picked up on it on my second read-through. Even a single picture showing how the minis look unpainted would have been a bit more forthright, but I'll withhold judgment until we see how their next few articles look.

this is standard fair for miniature wargaming.

They want to show you HOW the models will look because outside of appearing to gamers, they are appearing to collectors and hobbyists.

This is basically what all mini games do..... Not misleading at all

I thought Runewars came with prepainted minis for the longest time since that is all they ever showed. I really didn't pay that close of attention.

Showing off painted minis is so much more interesting than watching two gray blobs meet in the middle and become two smaller gray blobs. I wouldn't call it misleading, it just generates more interest due to it looking prettier.

1 hour ago, Tirion said:

This is basically what all mini games do..... Not misleading at all

They all lie, so it's not really lying. LOL

I totally understand the marketing element. They want to put their best foot forward. But take IA for example. Not once have they presented painted minis in any article including the announcement. I know, it's a different game.

Dust Tactics started by only showing the unpainted stuff, but then moved to only showing painted.

I just would really like to see what we would actually get.

1 hour ago, power500500 said:

It's the same thing they did with Rune Wars. I think everyone expects unpainted minis at this point but even if they didn't he says flat out in the in-flight report that they are unpainted. Also it's in the product descriptions.

I'm not arguing that they are hiding the info, it is mentioned once towards the bottom of the article...with 7 pictures of amazingly well painted minis. And certainly we don't expect painted products (most of us knew this prior to the reveal), but I wonder how many people will be lured in and then disappointed.

I've been wargaming with miniatures for so long, that to my brain, it wouldn't ever occur to me that miniatures were pre-painted. Just knowing the industry and the current technological capabilities, you know it's not realistic for them to be pre-painted and have those paint jobs. It would be like if a car company showed you the top half of a car and you assumed it was a hover-car that had anti-gravity technology. Nobody who makes and sells miniatures games would consider it to be misleading, just out of instinct.

I understand the mindset is different for people used to X-Wing and Armada, who don't have experience with tabletop wargames. And who might not spot the difference between a professional paint job and a Heroclix paint job without even thinking about it. But, if I were FFG, it wouldn't even occur to me that someone would find this misleading.

1 minute ago, frankelee said:

I've been wargaming with miniatures for so long, that to my brain, it wouldn't ever occur to me that miniatures were pre-painted. Just knowing the industry and the current technological capabilities, you know it's not realistic for them to be pre-painted and have those paint jobs. It would be like if a car company showed you the top half of a car and you assumed it was a hover-car that had anti-gravity technology. Nobody who makes and sells miniatures games would consider it to be misleading, just out of instinct.

I understand the mindset is different for people used to X-Wing and Armada, who don't have experience with tabletop wargames. And who might not spot the difference between a professional paint job and a Heroclix paint job without even thinking about it. But, if I were FFG, it wouldn't even occur to me that someone would find this misleading.

Almost every person I demo X-Wing or Armada too are always amazed that the ships come pre-painted.

2 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

I know, it's just an announcement so far, but does anyone else think the professionally painted and based units are a little misleading? I'd be more interested to see what is really going to be in the box. I sure hope all the follow up drip-feed articles are using stock pieces instead of the glammed up versions.

yeah, the fact that I can pre order the box before they let me see what is in the box I find very distasteful.

A few hours ago I was all for this game, and now I'm not even going to bother with it, based on their initial marketing rollout.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!

Then how come that you, complaining people, don't care about the tokens being shown as punched, but actually coming on a sheet?

Kind of reminds me of the old Calvin and Hobbes cartoon!

Calvin: "I mean, look at this! How did they paint eyelashes on a pilot who's only half an inch tall?"

Hobbes: "I'm pretty sure they just took a picture of a real jet and superimposed it on a plastic stand."

I don't mind them showing painted minis, since that's what you're meant to do with them, but sometimes I wish the stormtroopers looked a little more like white blobs with some random black smudges on their faces, like all the IA ones I've tried to paint!

It's basically one of those 'some assembly required' things. Model planes don't show you chunks of unpainted plastic either; It's expected you'll paint them up as part of the assembly process, rather than let them sit there unpainted.

That said, you do get used to telling a prepainted set of minis from one's done by hand afterwards. They just... don't look the same, once you get used to seeing both.

It's common In The miniatures industry to show them painted. But FFG should ensure no one assumes they come painted as FFG markets to a wide audience.

I'm really glad they aren't pre-painted, the quality is always terrible when done en masse (for people, vehicles can look good more easily). Even the ones in today's release look rushed.

Yep. Its a huge "gotcha!" from the evil empire FFG showing us their new plastic crack by putting its best foot forward. Jeebus. Misleading? puh. leeze.

Life is better when you don't assume the world is out to get you. Try it. You might enjoy it.

Misleading? Oh boy...

13 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

given they've already released an (official?) painting guide vid, the description says in like 2-3 places they come unpainted and unassembled, they did the same thing with runewars and pretty much everybody else does the same these days? NO!

Edited by Ralgon

look at all the know it alls!

FFG sells lots of different games to different markets, they actually sell both pre painted and unpainted starwars games. there is no reason for them to not be as clear as possible. I don't think they have done a bad job but it's easy for folks to make a mistake. specifically here I'm not finding any photos of the miniatures unpainted. people should see what that looks like as reading comprehension is pretty bad these days.

I think someone on here already posted words to the effect of "for $90 it better be pre-painted!" so, yes, I'm sure some people might think you can get 33 pre-painted 35mm figures plus components all sold pursuant to a Star War license cor less than $100 retail. I'm not sure that person can be considered reasonable, however.

Edited by Manchu
15 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

...does anyone else think the professionally painted and based units are a little misleading? I'd be more interested to see what is really going to be in the box. I sure hope all the follow up drip-feed articles are using stock pieces instead of the glammed up versions.

It would be helpful if women followed this advice too. You'd be amazed, but in the morning, my wife looks nothing like she does when we go out for an evening together. And don't get me started on the ex-girlfriend who wore a 'wonderbra'...

Edited by hismhs
8 minutes ago, hismhs said:

It would be helpful if women followed this advice too. You'd be amazed, but in the morning, my wife looks nothing like she does when we go out for an evening together. And don't get me started on the ex-girlfriend who wore a 'wonderbra'...

To be fair, I doubt you look the same either ^_^

It would be nice to see them unpainted to also see how that looks.