Disappointed with Mini Size

By Tarvalar, in Star Wars: Legion

For those saying this is just like IA, if the 1000 points a side and 11 points per stormtrooper is correct, then an army could compose of 90 stormtrooper. 90! that seems like a pretty significant change to what IA offers.

now, lets count how much 90 minis will cost...

I would guess about 275 USD retail, assuming you already owned the core set.

As for the size.

If we base IA mini on Legion base, it will be about 3 mm bigger, no? It will fit with the size almost perfectly.

What Torques me is that the battles you'll have in Legion are very similar to the battles you could have in IA. The only difference is, maybe, that one AT-ST in IA could be what, three? in Legion. Sure, that helps my fixation for Imperial Armor, but it's a far cry from three AT-ATs with an AT-ST picket and several divisions of infantry.

Sure I'll try it, but it's not what I wanted. The concept went from "Must Buy" to the "eh, maybe?" of how it really turned out.

I see why everyone is reasonably upset but I think there are a lot of opportunities for Legion and IA to exist harmoniously. First off we get a new Vader sculpt. IA Vader is okay but he is just okay. IA Emperor has the possibility of fitting in nicely as do a lot of the other aliens and humans. Stormtroopers will likely need a re-buy and new Rebels is never a bad thing, not looking the way these do. Droids should be okay and vehicles should be perfect. Add to that can I just remind everyone THIS IS DAY ONE! We should all just hold our breath a little and see what else is coming.

Have to say, I don't find it reasonable to expect IA compatibility with Legion. It strikes me as very arbitrary, based solely on the similar size of the minis for the respective games.

I expect the games to feel quite different. Squad activation vs Individual, range vs tiles, 5 or 10 vs 100. The first and last of those especially should play a big part in how it feels to play or the strategies employed.

Also IA is (to me and many others, and often portrayed as) more story/mission based and not skirmish while legion seems to be entirely vs based.

Quite disappointed and its gonna take a lot of pursueding to get me involved (I already have a boat load of IA, XW and Armada stuff).

They should gave followed the 40K Epic scale where entire squads are on a single base and loads of war machines. A smaller scale would have been better and truly allow for 'Legions'.

Counterpoint: as a warhammer enthousiast, I'm really stoked about the scale and the hobby aspect of legion. There is also no reason they couldn't do bigger units. We've also only seen the starter set. When you look at previous warhammer starter sets they are comparable in content. A hero or 2, one war machine variant for either side and a squad or two of troops.

Sure there is an epic (the game) sized hole in the wargames available, but I think in this scale characters can be more impactful in the game. It's ofcourse a personal preference thing but I'm more inclined to buy into this scale than an epic scale.

3 hours ago, Jarema said:

As for the size.

If we base IA mini on Legion base, it will be about 3 mm bigger, no? It will fit with the size almost perfectly.

Since Legion miniatures don't come with integrated bases and are instead glued to their bases, it would be much easier to just find some slimmer bases to glue them on. While Legion minis seem to be a bit more bulky overall, if you can find a base that would be a bit shorter than IA's, once you mix up the rank-and-file troops the difference shouldn't be nioticeable during gameplay.

I want AT-ATs! I really wanted them in X-Wing scale, with playability as an X-Wing ground game.

Bottom line, there are two games I want to play - the Battle of Hoth (and sure Scarif too) and Star Wars Battlefront the board and/or the mini game. Yes I am talking about the EA game featuring Walker Assault mode -- So you have a bunch of infantry/vehicles fighting over communication nodes in order to call in bombing on the invincible AT-ATs as they plod toward the objective. Once a com node is successfully held by the Rebels, the AT-ATs are ion bombed which opens them up to take damage. Now, the Imps must defend the Walkers while the Rebels must concentrate fire on the Walkers in order to bring them down for the limited time they are vulnerable. Now that's a fun cool game I want to play and it gives us SW Battlefront the Board/mini game.

For Hoth, different set of rules, AT-ATs Vs snowspeeders. AT-ATs plod and speeders zip all over the place. Someone posted a great idea that you have the speeders move then shoot and move again. This can be advantageous, but can also make them overshoot into the Walker's firing arcs. Add in the infantry, turrets, and vehicles and you have a fantastic game.

Come on FFG, WE WANT AT-ATs!

18 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

i agree completely. its really brutal that buying one of everything for FFGs imperial assault already runs over 500 dollars, and now they want you to buy a second Han, a second bossk, etc. i was just getting into imperial assault, but if this game isnt 28mm I dont think I'll buy any more of either game. ive spent well over grand on FFG star wars stuff and i know people who've spent a lot more. they could have at least enabled some casual proxying for loyal customers. its just greedy. also 28mm is the primary scale for scifi terrain and scenery. I already made a bunch of stuff for I.A., not gonna make it twice

Totally agreed. I feel betrayed by FFG. No less.

I am also dismayed by the size difference between Legion and IA. If I could use my IA miniatures in Legion, and vice versa, I would be 100% committed to this. But if the figures are different in size, I will stop buying IA, and not buy legion. because I will feel that FFG are gouging me rather than providing another fun way for me to play a game.

The pictures of Luke really dismay me. There was nothing to say they couldn't use the existing Luke. If they want to resculpt in plastic, they could have at least kept the figures compatible in size and scale.

:( :( :( :( :(

I've looked at the figs in the display case, and on the demo tables, and, yes, they are definitely a bit bigger than the IA figs, but not nearly enough to cause problems, IMO. Especially if you can keep them segregated in different squads.

This is a brand new game, thus brand new figures. The IA figures aren't very good and don't have a lot of variation in poses for the amount of troops this game will require. They upped the scale and detail/quality of the figures for this game. I've been waiting over a decade for a SW game like this to be made, and it looks pretty solid to me. Hopefully by 2018 or whatever when the game is out people will get over it by then. I know i'll probably have some holiday christmas money to spend early next year anyways.

I think a large scale ground combat at say 1/270 scale would be nice. Make it a stand alone or a low altitude expansion for x-wing. It's not going to happen because FFG might make too much money.
The new SW Legions should be a hardback book to use with Imperial Assault figures. I'm looking a you Alpha Strike for inspiration. Imperial Assault figures would get a nice sales increase. Again, not going to happen.
At this rate, I'm theorizing that some WizKids people got hired at FFG and made some really smart and childish money making decisions and came up are with Star Wars Legacy.
1 hour ago, Guest Ron said:
I think a large scale ground combat at say 1/270 scale would be nice. Make it a stand alone or a low altitude expansion for x-wing. It's not going to happen because FFG might make too much money.
The new SW Legions should be a hardback book to use with Imperial Assault figures. I'm looking a you Alpha Strike for inspiration. Imperial Assault figures would get a nice sales increase. Again, not going to happen.
At this rate, I'm theorizing that some WizKids people got hired at FFG and made some really smart and childish money making decisions and came up are with Star Wars Legacy.

This is an absurd request when you consider the target audience for this game and the fact they gave a special agreement with Hasbro to distribute IA at all.

2 hours ago, Guest Ron said:

Did you consider maybe there is a market for legion? Maybe there is also a market that wasn't into IA and legion is what they were looking for?

2 hours ago, Tirion said:

Did you consider maybe there is a market for legion? Maybe there is also a market that wasn't into IA and legion is what they were looking for?

Perhaps the market that is playing Warhammer at this very moment?

Meanwhile those of us who would have been drawn in by Epic 40K have to hang out in Armada for a bit longer I suppose...

IMHO, the size of the minies is a bit of a turn off for me, I had hoped for, as many other has expressed, for smaller scale minies, so that Legion was the IA equivalent of Armada compared to X-wing.

Now FFG will have two "infantry skirmish" games with roughly the same size of figures, only difference is, one is more of a boardgame (IA) while the other has the more free movement style in a more attractive scenic setting (Legion), like other "28mm"/ "34mm" games out there, Bold Action, Chain of Command, just to name a few.

Personally I never realy liked the IA board game, cool figures though, but back then if IA had started out as Legion, I would more likely be into it. And ever since IA came out I wished for an Epic scale Star Wars land battle game that was, as mentioned above, the equivalent of Armada.

Now that dream has been shelfed (hopefully for the time being)

However, if Legion had been a an epic scale game , would it not compete against games like Drop Zone instead of IA or 40K?

FFG hopefully put alot of (or some) market research into which game would be more profitable to launch, and as far as I can see, there is alot of games lately that has come out in the "28mm"- "34mm"...ish scale, and FFG wants to be on that Band wagon, to get a share of that market.

My fear though is, if FFG launch to many varied games, in a too quick succession, they will have to stretch more and more of their resources in supporting all the varied games, that the quality of each new realease may drop in each game.

Never bite off more "Bothans" than you can slay with a lightsaber, is what I say, and some companies or shop chains had brooken their neck financially, when they where most succesfull, because they overstretched themselves.

Okay enough with the Doom and gloom. I wish that Legion will be succesfull in FFG's productline, just as IA, X-wing and Armada is. I am not, for the time being though, sold on buying into something, that is just another 28mm"- "34mm"...ish scale skirmish game.

Edited by Kiwi Rat

Was there any mention outside of Luke what model size is? It is not uncommon for character models to be of a different size then regular models.

I'll happily replace my complete set of IA models with the higher quality, multi pose, hard plastic Legion ones any day of the week. No hesitation at all.

Couldnt be happier with them taking the plunge into proper war gaming quality miniatures.

I won't. I don't have that budget.

I like the idea of a new game. But not when it feel like a "lol powned" toward those who already invested in the already expensive IA.
Most of the player I talked with are on the same page.

7 minutes ago, Guest Reitari said:

I won't. I don't have that budget.

I like the idea of a new game. But not when it feel like a "lol powned" toward those who already invested in the already expensive IA.
Most of the player I talked with are on the same page.

Did descent owners wishing to play Runewars feel the same way??

i get IA has its 'battle mode' but genuinely interested to hear a view on this.