Anything new at Gen Con

By AleksDj, in General Discussion

Anyone expecting something new to be announced at GenCon?

5 hours ago, AleksDj said:

Anyone expecting something new to be announced at GenCon?

Not for Eldritch, no.

IF there are going to be any more Eldritch expansions (crossing my fingers!!!), the announcement should be in the next month or so though.

The InFlight report's been done, and it's been possibly the most disappointing in FFG's history. A lot of corporate talk, a lot of "we've announced this game some time ago, let's go in deeper detail" and only 2 new items announced: the next wave for X-Wing (this came totally unexpected, uh?) and Star Wars: Legion (but the news was leaked yesterday). Absolute zero news on all the other fronts, while usually former CEO Petersen was really good at teasing people with new games / expansions coming in the next few months. I'm rather disappointed in the total lack of news for many games.

(and clearly yeah, we got no news for Eldritch, or any AH Files game)

Edited by Julia

I just have a feeling Eldritch is going to start wrapping up soon. the AH LCG is doing great and so much cheaper to make (plus it just started).

I played through the Dunwich Legacy and loved it, but the replayability isn't that great IMO. I'm giving the game away to a friend of mine.

Add to that that Mansions of Madness is still going strong, and I wonder if FFG is doing the old AH boardgame thing of not oversaturating the market - just leaving it as MoM2nd ed. and AH LCG.

Edited by Krysmo
added Paragraph
11 hours ago, Krysmo said:

I just have a feeling Eldritch is going to start wrapping up soon. the AH LCG is doing great and so much cheaper to make (plus it just started).

I played through the Dunwich Legacy and loved it, but the replayability isn't that great IMO. I'm giving the game away to a friend of mine.

Add to that that Mansions of Madness is still going strong, and I wonder if FFG is doing the old AH boardgame thing of not oversaturating the market - just leaving it as MoM2nd ed. and AH LCG.

My thoughts on EH possibly being done come solely from the fact that EH is at a logical "stopping point", since now have the original 48 investigators (same applies to Elder Sign). I don't think that means they have to stop putting out expansions (they may well continue... like I said, we should find out in the next several weeks) but they certainly could at this point. I'd love if they'd at least continue to put out EH "Ancient One Packs" (in-house printed packs with an Ancient One and related decks) similar to the MoM1E POD expansions.

It would be bizarre if they stopped EH at this point, having designed a game with so much scope only to explore a relatively small part of it (and it is still only a relatively small part of it). The only reason I can think of would be business-related and I sincerely hope that's not the case. I'll put my neck on the block and say EH is far from done :)

Let's be honest, EH is dead as far as FF is concerned.

Go to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/

And try to get to Eldritch product page - sometimes it takes me a while and I know what I'm looking for...

So, anything more than three mouse clicks away is dead. :)

2 hours ago, kraftclub said:

And try to get to Eldritch product page - sometimes it takes me a while and I know what I'm looking for...

That hasn't changed in the past few years... that's hardly a sign that it's "dead". It takes just as many clicks to get to MoM2E. Is that "dead" too?

4 hours ago, Eldritch Mike said:

It would be bizarre if they stopped EH at this point, having designed a game with so much scope only to explore a relatively small part of it (and it is still only a relatively small part of it). The only reason I can think of would be business-related and I sincerely hope that's not the case. I'll put my neck on the block and say EH is far from done :)

7 expansions is only a "small part"? I like the way you think, even if I'm not sure I agree. :)

Edited by KBlumhardt

There's still plenty of Lovecraftian material they could cover. The Whisperer in Darkness could IMO easily rate at least one of the small box expansions. I've only just gotten into EH (the base game), but it seems to me the Mi-Go have not had much done with them yet?

Edited by Capn_Tucker
Added italics

They have the entire world and a lot of places they haven't looked up yet, so there is a lot of space left, I'd argue.

Yes, this year’s In Flight Report was a total let down. No Arkham file news what so ever and with the AH LCG and MoM product lines being so popular the omission seemed odd. Could be because they have revealed so much stuff on the website over the past few months that there really is nothing more to say (although that didn’t stop them being redundant with the other stuff they talked about). As for EH, I really don’t know where they would go from here. My wife and I played yesterday and by this point, having every expansion released thus far, there is so much content that if any more were added, it would start to get burdensome (those enormous condition and unique asset stacks being the prime example). So while I would love to say that I would like to see more expansions, to be honest, I could also say that at this point the product line is “complete” and there really isn’t much need for any more (much like how the original Arkham Horror game is now “complete”).

Edited by Otakuon

They need 1 more big box expansion and location would be Arkham.

What would be a better expansion to finish the product then to visit the place from where all the horrors started :)

And then to go with Ancient One's packs.
We have enough investigators, artifacts, assets, conditions etc... But ancient ones? It's never enough :)

3 hours ago, AleksDj said:

They need 1 more big box expansion and location would be Arkham.

What would be a better expansion to finish the product then to visit the place from where all the horrors started :)

And then to go with Ancient One's packs.
We have enough investigators, artifacts, assets, conditions etc... But ancient ones? It's never enough :)

Don't forget Preludes, that mechanic is absolutely fantastic.

Multiple preludes! Last game we used 3 :D

I'll repost my disappointment here for the gencon report but remember we do get arkham nights in October hopefully again this year! I'm hopeful for what gets announced then.

Echoing the call for AO packs. Maybe a Lovecraft Country big board expansion is in the offing, maybe not (with the text on a lot of the existing cards I doubt it, but would like to be surprised).

And yeah, when is Arkham Nights generally announced? Would think it's in the next few weeks to allow people to buy passage there. With MoM2 and AH LCG going strong, I'd think it's a possibility?

I will echo what AleksDj's comment that they need one more big box expansion and the location should be Arkham. That's the expansion that I've been waiting for.

Having just gotten into Eldritch Horror a month or 2 ago, I have a ton of content to play through, as we have all of the expansions and are taking a very measured approach of only incorporating one expansion at a time so that we get a chance to properly learn not only the game and characters, but each expansion. As such, we have only done the core game, Forbidden Lore and then Mountains of Madness. I am hoping next we will try Strange Remnants. For those of you who have been playing since the beginning, 7 expansions may be enough. Seems to me, that creating more focused packs that have revised investigators, Ancient Ones and maybe even add a few prelude and new mythos cards into things to keep it fun. Having said that, I will buy whatever they add. We also just picked up Arkham Horror and the Dunwich and Innsmoth expansions and still have several to pick up, not to mention play at some point. On top of that I am waiting for the core set of the card game to come back in stock to give it a chance. So for a new player like me, I have far more available than I have the time or money to enjoy.

14 hours ago, Krysmo said:

Echoing the call for AO packs. Maybe a Lovecraft Country big board expansion is in the offing, maybe not (with the text on a lot of the existing cards I doubt it, but would like to be surprised).

And yeah, when is Arkham Nights generally announced? Would think it's in the next few weeks to allow people to buy passage there. With MoM2 and AH LCG going strong, I'd think it's a possibility?

Arkham Nights should be announced in the next few weeks. It's generally end of August-Early September. Considering the sold-out crowd last year, I'd say there's no danger of it not being held. :D

Edited by KBlumhardt
On 8/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, KBlumhardt said:

That hasn't changed in the past few years... that's hardly a sign that it's "dead". It takes just as many clicks to get to MoM2E. Is that "dead" too?

All I'm pointing is, you don't put your moneymaker so deep it's hard to find.

On 26/8/2017 at 10:42 PM, kraftclub said:

All I'm pointing is, you don't put your moneymaker so deep it's hard to find.

Their moneymaker is Star Wars, not Eldritch Horror.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:19 PM, kraftclub said:

All games are located in the same way in site's structure.
Products >> Product families sorted alphabetically >> Products within a family sorted alphabetically
If you're deriving game's health from alphabetic order then A rkham Horror Files is doing great. Within that E ldritch Horror is still trumped by most other games in the line but at least it's doing better than the poor M ansions of Madness.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, Julia said:

Their moneymaker is Star Wars, not Eldritch Horror.

You're not wrong. :) I've always wondered though, after licensing fees does Star Wars really make FFG more money than the Arkham Files? Dealing with the mouse is NOT cheap.