Fing waste of Resources.

By Atraangelis, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

I cannot belive they will canibalize thier own systme to bring back this system.

What a waste of time and effort.

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

It's clearly a one-time thing. They're not launching a new RPG line.

Still, they could come up with something new and useful.

"Where did they dig up this fossil?"

Or they can do what they/LFL wants. Something that's neat, honors the past, and will make them some money.

d6holocron.net There is still a huge fan base for this game. In one community, we have 300 active players with 15 games.

2 hours ago, Atraangelis said:

I cannot belive they will canibalize thier own systme to bring back this system.

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

Says the guy with the Twilight Imperium avatar with TI4 around the corner?

This isn't cannibalizing the main game. This is purely for nostalgic fans and for people who don't want to commit to buying three sourcebooks for the new RPG.

I plan on picking up a copy to see if I can incorporate some more RPG elements into games of X-wing or Imperial Assault without bringing in the current dice system and other mechanics that would make the game overly complicated.

Wow.
I try to refrain from calling people idiots online, but some of you are idiots.

1: They're not re-launching the system. It's not replacing the current system. It's simply a collectors item sold to celebrate the anniversary of the D6 game system.
2: They're not "wasting resources". It's literally just a reprint of the old books with a slightly updated box and cover art. ****, it probably took them the better part of a day to throw that box art together (considering it's using the original front box art).

Don't be stupid, stupid.

Without WEG RPG there is no FFG RPG. It's pretty much that simple. WOTC's attempts at shoehorning d20 into Star Wars were... meh. But WEG? Especially pre-prequels? The best.

5 hours ago, Atraangelis said:

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

They're not.

It's not.

You're wrong.

Despite running, and loving the FFG Star Wars, as well as the WotC SAGA edition for several years, I still have all my old WEG books. They are a great resource even for current FFG campaigns, in addition to containing a lot of imagery not typically in circulation online or through FFG.

It was a fun system and we had countless adventures with it; I may again someday if I want a break from the current rulesets.

They will sell a decent number of copies to folks out of sheer nostalgia, and it keeps the legacy in print circulation.

3 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

I plan on picking up a copy to see if I can incorporate some more RPG elements into games of X-wing or Imperial Assault without bringing in the current dice system and other mechanics that would make the game overly complicated.

Yeah... I want to love the current FFG RPG, but I dislike the dice and the built in campaign derailers. There should be something online giving you the probabilities on the IA dice if you wanted to keep the game to one set of dice...or the regular d6s should be easy enough to eyeball conversions.

1 hour ago, Endersai said:

Without WEG RPG there is no FFG RPG. It's pretty much that simple. WOTC's attempts at shoehorning d20 into Star Wars were... meh. But WEG? Especially pre-prequels? The best.

Without WEG RPG there is pretty much no EU... The holocron conversions of the d20 prequel stuff might be ok..maybe.

6 hours ago, Atraangelis said:

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

Oh, sweet summer child, your name should be Jon Snow.

Everything about this announcement is made of so much "win" I can see the face of Charlie Sheen if I look at it through my peripheral vision.

30 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

Yeah... I want to love the current FFG RPG, but I dislike the dice and the built in campaign derailers. There should be something online giving you the probabilities on the IA dice if you wanted to keep the game to one set of dice...or the regular d6s should be easy enough to eyeball conversions.

Without WEG RPG there is pretty much no EU... The holocron conversions of the d20 prequel stuff might be ok..maybe.

IA is much more popular in my game group than X-wing. I think I'm going to keep the IA system for combat, XP, and items, and use the D6 system for other skill checks and to use the Force.

I love FFG and xwing, Armada and imp assault but I for star wars rpg I only play the D6 version because I don't like new FFG rpg... I do collect it because it looks great and is a good resource.

This is really cool and it shows they love star wars.

6 hours ago, Guest Th'kaal said:

d6holocron.net There is still a huge fan base for this game. In one community, we have 300 active players with 15 games.

d6holocron.com

11 hours ago, n107 said:

Oh, sweet summer child, your name should be Jon Snow.

Everything about this announcement is made of so much "win" I can see the face of Charlie Sheen if I look at it through my peripheral vision.

Even Jon Snow knows about D6 SWRPG.

Tiger Blood

On 08/16/2017 at 1:42 PM, Atraangelis said:

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

You could not be more wrong if you were Mr Wrong in Wrongs emporium picking out your new wrong suit at the wrong time. Their is still a huge following to this game to which FFGs star wars is a pale shadow. The forced narrative is clumsy directive to force gms into narrative rather than actually having a good players who can describe what they want to do in a cinematic fashion. Not to mention the clunky space combat. Which is slow and very constricting.

Just to make a clear statement, I would happily but cash down for a FFG remaster of every Star Wars d6 book ever published. Full Stop.

On the same note, I have zero interest in buying the current version of the game system. I don't care for it at all.

FFG would gain my money for a product line that requires relatively little development expense on their part. Thats not a bad business decision.

36 minutes ago, dkeith2011 said:

Just to make a clear statement, I would happily but cash down for a FFG remaster of every Star Wars d6 book ever published. Full Stop.

On the same note, I have zero interest in buying the current version of the game system. I don't care for it at all.

FFG would gain my money for a product line that requires relatively little development expense on their part. Thats not a bad business decision.

Yes but I see large egos getting in the way of that. Conversations like...this is my game blah blah blah. As you say this is a huge untapped well. I only buy the FFG version for source material. Their narrative dice system is atrocious and often forces a narrative that is not only unwieldy but also counter productive to the flow of the game. I don't need dice to tell me when to embellish the story. Star Wars D6 system had it's random kick in the pants/ boon with the wild die. To have all that erroneous stuff is not productive. Not to mention the cramped and stilted and above all slow star fighter combat. Just horrible. Give me D6 and take my money already I know FFG can write great source material. I mean wizkids knew what to do with shadowrun after fasa sold it. Why not the same here...

Edited by splad

Me, I'm more shocked that a one-off release got an entire subforum. How very odd.

Well, I guess it gives us somewhere to talk D6. That's kind of cool, even if I dont play that anymore.

3 hours ago, Desslok said:

Me, I'm more shocked that a one-off release got an entire subforum. How very odd.

Well, I guess it gives us somewhere to talk D6. That's kind of cool, even if I dont play that anymore.

Well, they gave one to the turn that is Munchausen or whatever it's called. That may not have been planned as a one-and-done, but it might as well be.

On 16/08/2017 at 6:42 PM, Atraangelis said:

Sorry FFG .. RPG FAIL!

How did they cannibalize their own system for this?

do you understand what this is?

Trust me, this is a WIN, the only way this doesn't sell out day one, is that people don't know it exists,

I love D6 Star Wars - the revised and expanded edition was the first I ever played, and it's what drew me into roleplaying properly.

Whilst I do like the FFG game, and still run the same PbP campaign I started using its rules about two years ago, it will forever be second to WEG in my opinion. This isn't because of anything that the Narrative Dice System does wrong, but rather because of everything WEG did right.

Everyone's milage may vary, but I think that releasing a one-off nostalgia tickling copy of the One That Started It All is a good thing. After all, its release doesn't stop you from buying their Narrative Dice books, or stop you from contributing to that systems forums; it doesn't stop you from playing a game of Star Wars using that system at your tabletop or online; it also hasn't stopped them from releasing more books for that system, making it clear that they're not done supporting it.

So, TL;DR: A one time release of the original game isn't hurting, hindering, or otherwise damaging FFGs own system.

best **** D6 system ever. had the longest running games with the same players way longer than any d20 type.

cant wait to get my copy.

I'm very tempted to get a copy of this, despite the fact that I already own the Revised and Expanded rulebook.