Runewars rumours

By Chimonas, in Runewars

Thanks to my american board game fans I heard rumours that FFG plans something about a kind of TI4 revival of Runewars if TI4 sells well.

Do you think that could be more then just rumours?

Edited by Chimonas

Source of the rumors?

I also heard they'll do a 20th anniversary edition of runewars.... In 2030.

On 16/8/2017 at 10:29 PM, mulletcheese said:

I also heard they'll do a 20th anniversary edition of runewars.... In 2030.

But I think you'll be able to start preordering it in a couple of weeks?

1 hour ago, Julia said:

But I think you'll be able to start preordering it in a couple of weeks?

Yes, and they may or may not throw in a hardback rulebook.

no rumours about reprinting the banners of war expansion? any word if it's gone forever at least?

On 8/15/2017 at 10:56 AM, Chimonas said:

Thanks to my american board game fans I heard rumours that FFG plans something about a kind of TI4 revival of Runewars if TI4 sells well.

Do you think that could be more then just rumours?

That makes me simultaneously want to jump for joy and sink to the ground sobbing. You see, I've been painting my set on and off for years and was just about to make a big push to finish it up this year. The thought of having to that all over again ... I don't know if I can take it. Not with Runewars Miniatures also demanding paint. Maybe I could settle for unpainted figures for the revamped Runewars.

The thing is, I love Runewars but I bet they could do some awesome stuff to make it better like how TI4 got streamlined. I hope it's true. I look forward to buying it blindly.

i contacted Asmodee and they said there will be no Runewars Reprint and no Runewars 2nd Edition. Runewars Boardgame is finished.

i Could write the same sentence for Battle Lore, and i dont think there will be much more for Descent 2 and Runewars Miniature.

In short words : FFG is a Star Wars Fan Shop and no Fantasy Flight Games anymore. Thats just the same as GW crashed Warhammer.

I still have hope but everything looks like you are right and FFG will be an SW shop. Its sad how Disney can effect for board games also.

I have the new TI and I love it and after the first game my wish was that FFG should do the same with Runewars board game. But be honest about the whole Runebound univers: Battlelore an awesome game but not sold well so its done. The same for Runewars board game so its also done. Runebound is went wrong so its done. Runeage is done. Descent has a lot of expansion so its done. And the Miniture game is a big question.

They will close the Runebould universe or they must invest so much in this universe... SW looks much more easier way...

On 1/19/2018 at 6:18 AM, magicrealm said:

i contacted Asmodee and they said there will be no Runewars Reprint and no Runewars 2nd Edition. Runewars Boardgame is finished.

I have a real hard time believing that you actually got an answer that said there will be no Runewars 2nd edition. Their policy is to never comment on un-announced products. I could see them saying there will be no Runewars reprint, but I can't imagine them saying there will be no Runewras 2nd edition.

On 4/2/2018 at 1:47 AM, Budgernaut said:

I have a real hard time believing that you actually got an answer that said there will be no Runewars 2nd edition. Their policy is to never comment on un-announced products. I could see them saying there will be no Runewars reprint, but I can't imagine them saying there will be no Runewras 2nd edition.

Yeah, it's definitely unlikely. They still haven't admitted Battles of Westeros is done...

I honestly find much more interesting that the series of products set in Terrinoth is no longer hosted under "RuneBound", but under "Terrinoth". Even if it makes sense, I'm afraid this doesn't spell like good news for RuneBound...

1 hour ago, Julia said:

I honestly find much more interesting that the series of products set in Terrinoth is no longer hosted under "RuneBound", but under "Terrinoth". Even if it makes sense, I'm afraid this doesn't spell like good news for RuneBound...

Doesn't make sense for what? For Runebound? As in Runebound 3rd edition?

Also interestingly, Runeage was removed from that page, and yet games like Battelore and Runewars remain - may be a suggestion that they still want to support them?

3 hours ago, Julia said:

As someone who doesn't play Runebound, I didn't think about it that way, though I can certainly see how it is worrisome. From my perspective, it'll make a lot of sense moving forward if new games say "Set in the realms of Terrinoth" rather than "Set in the Runebound universe." I hope for you Runebound fans that the game is not dead, but it already looks to me like there is more replayability in what is released than I would ever have time to play. (I confess that Unbreakable Bonds, the Ariad expansion, and Red Scorpion have all called to me from time to time. I may yet pick them up.

3 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Doesn't make sense for what? For Runebound? As in Runebound 3rd edition?

Also interestingly, Runeage was removed from that page, and yet games like Battelore and Runewars remain - may be a suggestion that they still want to support them?

I said it makes sense, not it doesn't. And I find interesting that an entire line of products, formerly named under RuneBound even in the years when RuneBound was absolutely out of print, is now renamed after the universe all games are set in. Could mean they are giving more weight to the setting / IP, and could also mean that RuneBound is done

17 hours ago, Julia said:

I said it makes sense, not it doesn't. And I find interesting that an entire line of products, formerly named under RuneBound even in the years when RuneBound was absolutely out of print, is now renamed after the universe all games are set in. Could mean they are giving more weight to the setting / IP, and could also mean that RuneBound is done

Ahhh misread that!

I think it’s maybe more just FFG pushing their own IP - they’ve been doing that with all their own IPs for the last 18+ months, but it didn’t make much sense for the Runebound product section to be called that when the actual world is Terrinoth.

i just look at the number of Posts here in the Forum for diffferent games. that seems to be an easy measure of sucess or failure. x wing has 1.3 Million Posts, runebound 3rd ed 826 .....

It was confirmed in the AMA yesterday that "there are no plans for a new Runewars currently" (but there was some interesting news on the Descent / Terrinoth front, see the Descent forum posts for info) - we also have confirmation of no new product for Descent (we don't know if this includes app content) from the AMA and no new product for Runewars Miniatures from the GenCon q and a.

A lot of fans are theorizing that the new game might overlap some of the earlier games somehow, and it is being worked on at a time when a number of these games are being underlined as 'completed' (no new content) or it seems being withdrawn altogether such as with Runewars and Battlelore, it seems Runebound may also be being phased out as there are (sadly- it was on my wantlist!) no signs of an 'Unbreakable Bonds' reprint.

Because of the overlaps this could make sense and could be really epic if they made it work.

It may actually be smarter on FFG's part to streamline the Terrinoth range- to thus cover the different types of games with a smaller family of game lines which could then be bigger and better and strong competition to what else is out there.

Although I'm not into the SW universe/games I can see how FFG has the advantage with SW of its mass popularity and the fact FFG's games in that universe are - due to FFG having the IP rights - quite unique, but the fantasy game market is quite crowded so fewer Terrinoth gamelines but each done really well could be better than more lines maybe competing with themselves (three copies of a mini that's in three games for example...) somewhat.

I think this is FFG's logic- what can we do with Terrinoth that stands out in a more crowded marketplace and what can we make work.

The new Terrinoth project is meant to be very ambitious so hopefully it will be the re-invigoration the games line 'realm' needs, building on the fact it's got quite a bit of new attention from things like the Descent Road To Legend app, Genesys RPG and the new Terrinoth games such as Heroes of Terrinoth. Andrew's responses also confirmed the Terrinoth universe is very much still part of FFG's future plans.