How does trade work?

By ianlippert, in Twilight Imperium

1 hour ago, MikeEvans said:

Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying in this post is based off of speculation, so take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm guessing that each race will have two commodity cards, each with a specific numerical value, just as you have two trade agreement cards in TI3. However, instead of giving your trade agreement cards to each other, you can simply exhaust one of your commodity cards to allow one of your neighbors to draw that number of Trade Goods. This means that they will be "use or lose," meaning that if you don't give away your commodities before you have the opportunity to refresh them, those trade goods are effectively wasted.

Long time no see Mike (from TI3wiki-times, If I recall correctly)

On the race sheets there are listed commodity numbers. Those will be replenished during trade secondary for a CC (it'll take some time before I start calling it command token, if ever). As I understand it, you can give any number of them to anyone at any time. So trading will be more fluent, or at least the dynamic will be entirely different. There might be some limitation to allow only the active player to participate in trade (give/receive) of commodities as was (at least a houserule) in TI3 with TG's.

1 hour ago, MikeEvans said:

Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying in this post is based off of speculation, so take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm guessing that each race will have two commodity cards,

No, you can see it on the images: Every race has a printed amount of commodity on the race sheet:

DrLPnAE.png

oOQjvPP.png

ldOaf3f.png

Edited by IDragonfire

Ah, I see, thanks for pointing that out. I have not had the time to pore over all the new stuff... partly because my old tired eyes hate squinting at pixelated junk on computer screens. It could still work similarly to how I described though. You'll just have more flexibility with how many commodities you can give away if they are tokens rather than cards. If you are "refreshing" your commodities you might be able to draw tokens up to your maximum amount rather than hoarding them. Without knowing much about the game I think I would prefer that, to encourage fluid, frequent trade.

Edit: Nice to see you again, Fjuri! I miss the Ti3 Wiki days. Maybe with the release of a new edition people will be encouraged to start a new one.

Edited by MikeEvans
15 hours ago, Archangelion said:

See, this is my point. There is no rule book for TI4, so any arguments over what the rules do or don't say is just silly, because we don't have any. We have a very similar game, but this is a new mechanic that We we have been given an idea on how it's going to work. We will know for sure when the rules come out. I'm sure it will mean adjacent system, and not your next door neighbour.

Are you serious or just trolling?

They state plain and simple who you can trade with and how to define such a player. You can argue all you want about the rulebook not being out but thats just wanting to oppose for the sake of opposing. The article is written by the developers to give us some info on the new rules, and your saying we shouldnt discuss it because the rules isnt released yet?

multipost, postception

Edited by Soulless

multipost, postception

Edited by Soulless
20 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Are you serious or just trolling?

They state plain and simple who you can trade with and how to define such a player. You can argue all you want about the rulebook not being out but thats just wanting to oppose for the sake of opposing. The article is written by the developers to give us some info on the new rules, and your saying we shouldnt discuss it because the rules isnt released yet?

Like I said. I'm sure it will be adjacent system. I'm just the type of guy that likes a rulebook in my hand. It's like a legal document. It's just how my mind works. The bit about the next door neighbour was me just having fun.

1 minute ago, Archangelion said:

Like I said. I'm sure it will be adjacent system. I'm just the type of guy that likes a rulebook in my hand. It's like a legal document. It's just how my mind works. The bit about the next door neighbour was me just having fun.

Alrite didnt mean any harm either so all good, I too like official rulebooks to rely upon but if the developer tells us that we can trade with "neighbours", and then goes on and tells us what defines a "neighbour", clearly with intention of being applied to the aforementioned situation, then I just dont see the point of arguing how to define a "neighbour".

What you are correct in is that things might be adjusted or changed before the rulebook is actually printed, but were discussing the article here not the rulebook that is to come.

" Trade - Trade contracts do not exist in Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition . Instead, commodities are traded between factions who have ships in adjacent systems. Every time the trade strategy card is used, its primary ability allows a faction to “refresh” their commodities. Then, that faction may choose to let any other factions refresh their commodities for free. Other factions may then use trade’s secondary ability to spend a token from their strategy pool to refresh their commodities. Commodities do nothing on their own, but become traditional trade goods when given to another faction."

From - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/twilight-imperium-fourth-edition/

It appears that you don't have to be physical neighbors sitting next to each other, but rather have fleets adjacent to each other in order to trade commodities. This will be easier to do with neighbors of course, but not limited to them. Basically, it encourages players to spread out more in an attempt to be adjacent as much as possible. It also becomes a bit more entertaining when dealing with how Trade will go down. I don't know about how it has been with everyone else, but in the games I play, Trade is a hustle, where the person using Trade takes advantage of what they get in return for approving a Trade Agreement. With commodities and the need for adjacency, this will alter that strategy a bit.

I am not exactly sure this will quicken up the trade process but I do like it on terms of theme. If your system is surrounded how could you still get trade. This also allows for you to use trade as a more permanent boundary in space since we all know boundaries love to shift.