Genesys Symbol Font

By DarthGM, in Genesys

I wonder who the first enterprising individual will be to either make a Genesys font set (like there is for Edge of the Empire) or make the Genesys symbols available for those of us writing up documents for it.

The Genesys discord has symbols, but I'm not sure if it is in font format.

I gave it a shot since I added the split light side/dark side pip to the eote font, but this is considerably more complex. I don't know what I'm doing!

Anyone have a link to the Genesys discord channel?

Why, it's 3 pages deep in this very forum:

http://discord.gg/3vNJa6t

Thanks a lot! :)

On 8/14/2017 at 5:04 PM, SkyJedi said:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzmxt707SauNREQ3VE9hektrc1E

s - Success

a - Advantage

t - Triumph

f - failure

h - threat

d - despair

Any TTF or OTF fonts? :D Windows doesn't seem to recognize the woff or eot...

Nice one.
Also possible to get the dice icons this way?

I need to remember this is here for later...

Thanks guys I was itching to get started with Genesys and Realm Works.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:56 AM, Hugh Salamando Filth said:

Nice one.
Also possible to get the dice icons this way?

If nothing else, you could use the EotE ones...same color/shape.

9 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

If nothing else, you could use the EotE ones...same color/shape.

We need a combined font with nice, thick borders like in the book. I'm no font engineer it seems.

Does anybody know enough about google sheets api to program an extension that enables this font on google sheets?

1 hour ago, saethone said:

Does anybody know enough about google sheets api to program an extension that enables this font on google sheets?

Oh gods, I will sing praises of the person who figures that out...

2 hours ago, saethone said:

According to Google Docs Help forum, adding custom fonts is not possible.

Someone may find this helpful. This is my process when I am working on Google Docs. I don't use Google Docs to generate final content for SW or Genesys, just as a platform for work in process. I use a place holder for each symbol such as [DI], [TR], [A], etc. Then I either load the document in to Adobe Indesign (it should also work in Scribus) or OpenOffice Writer. I have each symbol set up as a character style with the Genesys font and search/replace for "[A]" and replace it with "a" and the character style for the Advantage symbol, etc. This way, all my spaceholders are replaced at once. This process is much faster then manually inserting symbols.

In OpenOffice I use the "alt=search" plugin so I don't know if this type of search/replace it possible without it.

Edited by lyinggod
30 minutes ago, lyinggod said:

Someone may find this helpful. This is my process when I am working on Google Docs. I don't use Google Docs to generate final content for SW or Genesys, just as a platform for work in process. I use a place holder for each symbol such as [DI], [TR], [A], etc. Then I either load the document in to Adobe Indesign (it should also work in Scribus) or OpenOffice Writer. I have each symbol set up as a character style with the Genesys font and search/replace for "[A]" and replace it with "a" and the character style for the Advantage symbol, etc. This way, all my spaceholders are replaced at once. This process is much faster then manually inserting symbols.

In OpenOffice I use the "alt=search" plugin so I don't know if this type of search/replace it possible without it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i1wi7j1sYIMBU0SKktkHWJ5cLRw5QpHZVHBXKSJ1GI4/edit?usp=drivesdk

56 minutes ago, lyinggod said:

`This is basically what I do too. It is a pain, though, if you end up pushing a document in and out of Google Docs.

However, it must be possible to use other fonts through a plugin, as Extensis does exactly this. https://www.extensis.com/products/fonts-for-google-docs/ .

3 hours ago, saethone said:

Or does anyone know how to set this up so a bunch of shortcut keys would paste in an image from google drive?

9 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

`This is basically what I do too. It is a pain, though, if you end up pushing a document in and out of Google Docs.

I dont go into and out of Google Docs, just out. Once the document is sufficiently complete then I import it into Indesign or OpenOffice for finalizing. While working on the final, I will create PDFs that I place on google drive for DLing elsewhere or review. I have found it convenient to use the comment function of Acrobat to identify any additional adjustments that need to be made and then re-upload back to google drive.

One last thing that I thought might be helpful for this thread, the RGB values the I pulled from my PDF of the corebook for the dice icons.

Boost (114, 205, 220)

Setback (0, 0, 0)

Ability (65, 173, 73)

Difficulty (108, 42, 132)

Proficiency (255, 232, 0)

Challenge (125, 24, 33)

genesys-dice-icons.PNG.87e08acbc07da820d51becf4cd1ebf80.PNG

For what it's worth, it may be possible not only to do the dice within the font, but make them look reasonably good.

Disclaimer: I'm adding to Lecudas's TTF, so if those symbols look familiar...

I'm experimenting right now with FontForge and drawing two versions of the dice symbols, solid in the lowercase (j=6, k=8, l=12) and as an outline in the uppercase. Further, the uppercase glyphs have zero "width" so they don't advance the line any, or at least minimally; they just overprint the characters to the left of them. The idea is to combine the characters (jJ, kK, lL), and colorize the first one according to the die type (as above). It's not perfect yet, but the preliminary tests off the printer are promising .

You see this idea kicked around occasionally; look up a typeface called Stately for an extreme example of this.