This Game Looks Great!

By Rozzie, in Fallout

11 minutes ago, DoctorHam said:

Great idea! Knowing FFG (and this is certainly not a dig at them) the caps will be cardboard. I'm usually a fan of their plethora of cardboard tokens, but in this case I like your idea better. Was already planning to drop everything to paint the minis when I do get the game, but now I'll have to start saving bottlecaps, too!

We will probably see some after market upgrade caps, which is fine with me. As long as the game is good and plays well I don't mind paying for an extra bit of bling further down the line.

I played all Fallout games except 4 (is ist good? I hard good and bad stuff about it) so I'm of course interested in this but then im als very interested in the miniature wargame Fallout: Wastelfand Warfare, but who says you can't have two Fallout games.

And abut the bottle caps, well you could always use real ones, you just have to drink you favorite beverage and then perhaps age them a little bit.

3 hours ago, Kentares said:

The map looks like its a Carcassone generated thing...

There are bottle caps in the picture but I bet theyre cardboard made :)

It's not like Carcassone at all. You pre-build the maps, where some elements are in fixed places (like Diamond City) and the rest are placed randomly, to diversify the map.

It'd be closer to how the Settlers of Catan map is build, though not similar in gameplay.

I do like some of the stuff FFG comes out with and enjoying the game I love the idea of Fallout. But I'm not fond of never ending expansions (FAQ, rule changes, buffs, nerfs, power creep). So for me it is a wait and see. At least for the first several expansions or so; maybe the first 4? If the core turns out to have good replay ability I'll most likely get it; or maybe if it takes one expansion to fix the core then that's okay too. If it takes a lot more then I'll probably pass.

I do like Fallout though so my fingers are crossed and I'm hopeful.

I meant Settlers of Cattan of course. Keep mixing both games names.

Shut up and take my money! lol

Kind of looks similar to Mage Knight.

while i love fallout, im wondering if FFG can bring a faithful boardgame of the Fallout series..

it looks to be a small box game, to represent a big world?

it may give a taste of fallout but im afraid it will simplify too much of it, while all the flavour of Fallout is in lots of little details.

the map already looks smallish.

the xcom boardgame didnt do the series justice either.

For Fallout, less is definitely not more...

I thought "huh, that's weird, an advert for the Fallout computer games on the FFG site... hang on... wait..."

OH MY GOD.

Basically instant sell, this one, by virtue of being Fallout.

Can't wait to see more previews.

My only caveat here is that if it's a pure co-op game, that'll be a dealbreaker. Nothing I dislike more than co-op board games.

16 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

I thought "huh, that's weird, an advert for the Fallout computer games on the FFG site... hang on... wait..."

OH MY GOD.

Basically instant sell, this one, by virtue of being Fallout.

Can't wait to see more previews.

My only caveat here is that if it's a pure co-op game, that'll be a dealbreaker. Nothing I dislike more than co-op board games.

I actually like coop games, but I can see the appeal of crushing the other players as Ceasar's Legion :D

4 hours ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

I do like some of the stuff FFG comes out with and enjoying the game I love the idea of Fallout. But I'm not fond of never ending expansions (FAQ, rule changes, buffs, nerfs, power creep). So for me it is a wait and see. At least for the first several expansions or so; maybe the first 4? If the core turns out to have good replay ability I'll most likely get it; or maybe if it takes one expansion to fix the core then that's okay too. If it takes a lot more then I'll probably pass.

I do like Fallout though so my fingers are crossed and I'm hopeful.

Those are issues with their miniature games and card games, this would be more in-line with their standard board game series, which DO get expansions, but not remotely at a rate that is concerning, and they don't generally have an issue with "power creep" because of the self-contained context.

2 hours ago, stimpaksam said:

Shut up and take my money! lol

Kind of looks similar to Mage Knight.

This doesn't really appear to be anything similar to MageKnight, honestly. I wouldn't go into this game with that idea.

18 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

It's definitely not pure co-op. It will be more of a "race" game, similar to how Firefly the Game works. I suspect, knowing FFG's pedigree, that the player interaction will be handled better. And there will be some cooperation due to the "Factions" having the ability to win the game despite the players.

Just take my money already FFG! I truly hope they capture the charm of using your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats in social encounters and that there is some version of V.A.T.S. for combat. Not like there's a single deal breaker about Fallout, so much potential. Here's rooting for 5 and 6 player variants as well!

1 hour ago, ArbitraryNerd said:

Those are issues with their miniature games and card games, this would be more in-line with their standard board game series, which DO get expansions, but not remotely at a rate that is concerning, and they don't generally have an issue with "power creep" because of the self-contained context.

I don't expect the same amount of things like X-Wing. But I do expect expansions. Not everything FFG does has expansion but Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Cosmic Encounter, all come to mind. Unfortunately some expansions are "almost" required to make the core playable more that a few times. Some add mechanics that, for some, don't add to the game. I hope the game when relased is good, but too often there are game releases that seem to be deliberately missing something. I'll wait and see; it may be awesome. I hope it is.

1 hour ago, ArbitraryNerd said:

This doesn't really appear to be anything similar to MageKnight, honestly. I wouldn't go into this game with that idea.

I just saw the figurines and some of the components like the tiles and whatnot and it reminded me of Mage Knight. I know it'll be nothing like it obviously. Still super excited.

9 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

As far as style of play regarding interaction between players it looks like it might be similar to Runebound. Looks VERY different mechanics wise but player interaction seems to be at about the same level. Little to no direct competition or fighting, more of just who crosses the finish line first. Although they do say it's possible for more than one person to "win" simultaneously.

My takeaway from reading the intro is that this is very much like Runebound too, with some overall objective (presumably for points/prestige) that players can work together toward, or on their own, or ignore in favor of earning points elsewhere. The victor being determined by points rather than defeating some final boss.

Unlike Runebound, this looks like it's a modular board, which could be really nice.

We love the Doom board game from FFG and Bethesda (hasn't gotten the critical attention it deserves in our opinion) and look forward to this collaboration too!

It would be very cool if they made a Fallout themed boardgame using the World of Warcraft boardgame mechanics they made a couple of years ago...

Edit = Wow... those a couple of years ago I wrote... are 12 years ago... how time flies...

Edited by Kentares
On 8/8/2017 at 2:16 PM, phunkysai said:

Instabuy. Also, this better have metal caps or get out (even if it's cheap metal)!

Then again, metal caps are easy enough to find. ;)

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, Julia said:

Agreed. Definitely not a chance it's available at GenCon (otherwise they'd have put it loud and clear in the preview article)

Actually, after a moment of reflection, I am stunned this wasn't announced at GenCon. It's what, 1 week in advance? Seems like they could have blown people away with that news there. I get that video game players and board game players aren't a perfectly overlapping Venin Diagram, but it still seems like something they should have done.

5 hours ago, Duciris said:

Actually, after a moment of reflection, I am stunned this wasn't announced at GenCon. It's what, 1 week in advance? Seems like they could have blown people away with that news there. I get that video game players and board game players aren't a perfectly overlapping Venin Diagram, but it still seems like something they should have done.

Maybe they want to demo it at GenCon, so, having a few days notice will help? Otherwise I've got no idea

FFG always does this before Gencon....they announce a bunch of games in the week(s) leading up to Gencon to get everyone excited, and then demo the games there....

Judging from what we've seen so far, this looks like it might have the exploration of Mage Knight with the gameplay of Eldritch Horror.

I mean, I'm sure it'll ultimately be its own thing, but that's sort of my jumping off point.

I am getting this game and biting my nails in anticipation for the Descent style game that will (or at lease SHOULD) follow

I'm hoping there's a lot of adventuring, exploring, questing, contending with the environment.

Im pretty tired of combat centric games at the moment and fallout is a fun context for all the above elements. I'd find this WAY more interesting if it turns out combat is a really small portion of what you're doing.