This Game Looks Great!

By Rozzie, in Fallout

After reading the main FFG write up I couldnt be more excited to get my hands on this one! I love the multiple characters, the ability to work cooperatively and of course the locations themed around areas we've visited many times in the video games.

What are you most excited about? Does this look like a must buy for you as well?

I'm a fan of FFG. I'm a huge fan of Fallout. I don't even need to read the article to know it's an instant buy.

I'm interested to see how they handle combat. And how the map is manipulated.

... Already a must buy, regardless, all they had to say was, "Fallout." Or something that sounded remotely close, that I mistook for Fallout.

I'm honestly confused on what kind of game this is. It seems like a coop game since it can be played solo, but does it have any competitive elements? I only read the article once though so I may have missed something. Seems interesting, but there are a lot of details missing here for now.

15 minutes ago, ArbitraryNerd said:

I'm interested to see how they handle combat. And how the map is manipulated.

... Already a must buy, regardless, all they had to say was, "Fallout." Or something that sounded remotely close, that I mistook for Fallout.

"Introducing 'Mallgrout': a boardgame where players compete to grout tiles in a postapocalyptic mall bathroom"

Instabuy. Also, this better have metal caps or get out (even if it's cheap metal)!

8 minutes ago, Willange said:

I'm honestly confused on what kind of game this is. It seems like a coop game since it can be played solo, but does it have any competitive elements? I only read the article once though so I may have missed something. Seems interesting, but there are a lot of details missing here for now.

In typical FFG fashion, they are going to drip feed actual info over time. Since this is a 4th quarter game, they might not even start the drip feed for another couple months.

This is the announcement article. Finer points of how combat works, how equipment functions, how missions are completed, etc will come out in the weekly articles. I'd assume that this is a sort of semi-cooperative game. Everyone is playing, but everyone has their own goals. The board can win and leave all the players at a loss, or the players can win...and one of the players is crowned King or Queen of the wasteland. The cooperative elements is probably voluntary. Do you help the other player in hopes that the rewards help you more? Do you want to team up to take out that badguy so you get some loot, or try to get more powerful and take him out yourself before someone else does. But time will tell.

21 minutes ago, Klarkashton said:

"Introducing 'Mallgrout': a boardgame where players compete to grout tiles in a postapocalyptic mall bathroom"

Surely you meant "postacrylic" mall bathroom. That's the game where you play as 1 of 5 classes to scour through Dillard's and Victoria's Secret for materials to build your restroom mosaic! Navigate through spawned mobs of tweens and avoid mutated guards, but be careful - lest you be forcibly brought down and judged by the Food Court! Only those with nerves of steel will be rewarded as they brave the Hot Topic to open its hidden chests of loot! Arm yourself with explosive ketchup packs, asian kabobs, and the elusive spork each giving its own edge in the new trick-taking style combat!

But stealth and combat aren't the only challenges in Mallgrout! Oh no! Pass persuasion checks to convince the Auntie Anne's clerk to follow you, with empty promises of helping her win over the falafel guy! Position the kiosk selling remote control cars, such that it trips up the phone-case worker for ample acrylic for your mosaic!

Available for the Holidays, this real-time adventure will set you against Mall Walkers and Apple Geniuses to claim your ultimate victory!

Yeah, like kmanweiss said, it's going to be some time before we see anything beyond this article probably. I imagine it'll have some slight competition to it since you can individually pledge allegiance to a particular faction. Regardless, I CAN'T WAIT!

21 minutes ago, Klarkashton said:

Surely you meant "postacrylic" mall bathroom. That's the game where you play as 1 of 5 classes to scour through Dillard's and Victoria's Secret for materials to build your restroom mosaic! Navigate through spawned mobs of tweens and avoid mutated guards, but be careful - lest you be forcibly brought down and judged by the Food Court! Only those with nerves of steel will be rewarded as they brave the Hot Topic to open its hidden chests of loot! Arm yourself with explosive ketchup packs, asian kabobs, and the elusive spork each giving its own edge in the new trick-taking style combat!

But stealth and combat aren't the only challenges in Mallgrout! Oh no! Pass persuasion checks to convince the Auntie Anne's clerk to follow you, with empty promises of helping her win over the falafel guy! Position the kiosk selling remote control cars, such that it trips up the phone-case worker for ample acrylic for your mosaic!

Available for the Holidays, this real-time adventure will set you against Mall Walkers and Apple Geniuses to claim your ultimate victory!

49 minutes ago, Willange said:

You can play Scythe solo, and it's certainly not co-op.

There is a "vs Environment" aspect to the game, regardless of if you play solo or with people. If you play WITH people, it's a race to gain influence before the other players, so it is definitely not coop... Except you want to work together somewhat to make sure the factions don't get too powerful and win.

How exciting!

I'm interested to see if there are any other miniatures than the player ones to represent enemies (like Imperial Assault).

I assume there'll be expansion packs as it's the FF way. Still. Very exciting!

QS =D

There's a bit more information if anyone looks at the product page and clicks the "read more" tab. I'll probably pick it up since I loved Fallout since the original game and it's a FFG board game.

Only $60 for the base game too but you'll know they will drag you in with constant expansions! More miniatures and gameplay options are always a plus.

Hopefully it will be previewed at Gencon next week!

43 minutes ago, phunkysai said:

Hopefully it will be previewed at Gencon next week!

Is there any chance it might be sold at Gencon, you think? I know they do early sales of some of their other lines at Gencon each year, but if I can get my hands on this bad boy I'd be delighted.

7 minutes ago, DoctorHam said:

Is there any chance it might be sold at Gencon, you think? I know they do early sales of some of their other lines at Gencon each year, but if I can get my hands on this bad boy I'd be delighted.

Probably not. We know the Legend of the Five Rings LCG launches at Gencon, and they've been releasing information on that for months. This was just announced, plus it's slated for 4th quarter.

2 hours ago, Willange said:

It sounds a bit like Firefly: The Game to me. All of the players are working on their own goals, improving their character, and racing to accomplish the objective first. You can play a solo game by placing a round limit to achieve the objective.

30 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Probably not. We know the Legend of the Five Rings LCG launches at Gencon, and they've been releasing information on that for months. This was just announced, plus it's slated for 4th quarter.

Agreed. Definitely not a chance it's available at GenCon (otherwise they'd have put it loud and clear in the preview article)

I read the article and feel fairly clueless about petty much everything. Still, Fantasy Flight has made several of my favorite games and I am a huge Fallout fan. Being able to be played solo is massive selling point since it is extremely rare that I can get a group together to play any games. Pretty much a guaranteed but for me.

And now I'm really hoping they do Fallout books for Genysis.

8 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

I'm a fan of FFG. I'm a huge fan of Fallout. I don't even need to read the article to know it's an instant buy.

Yep. Add-to-cart. :D

Edited by Volcano467

FFG does licensed games so well.

It also, feels like the game should have an App, the Pip-boy perhaps.

If this doesn't come with actual bottle caps (which I could not tell from the photos) ill need to dust of my painting skills to make some.

The map looks like its a Carcassone generated thing...

There are bottle caps in the picture but I bet theyre cardboard made :)

Edited by Kentares

As far as style of play regarding interaction between players it looks like it might be similar to Runebound. Looks VERY different mechanics wise but player interaction seems to be at about the same level. Little to no direct competition or fighting, more of just who crosses the finish line first. Although they do say it's possible for more than one person to "win" simultaneously.

4 hours ago, Cold Iron1 said:

If this doesn't come with actual bottle caps (which I could not tell from the photos) ill need to dust of my painting skills to make some.

Great idea! Knowing FFG (and this is certainly not a dig at them) the caps will be cardboard. I'm usually a fan of their plethora of cardboard tokens, but in this case I like your idea better. Was already planning to drop everything to paint the minis when I do get the game, but now I'll have to start saving bottlecaps, too!