So is this a legacy game?

By Supertoe, in Legacy of Dragonholt

I can't tell from the description if this is one of those games you can only run through once or not. Because if it is a legacy game then that is an insta-no-buy.

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

I can't tell from the description if this is one of those games you can only run through once or not. Because if it is a legacy game then that is an insta-no-buy.

I hope it's not. I don't do legacy games at all.

I think it's more like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

What makes you think it's a Legacy game? The fact that you make notes in the back of the book? You can just as easily make notes one a sheet of paper.

5 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

What makes you think it's a Legacy game? The fact that you make notes in the back of the book? You can just as easily make notes one a sheet of paper.

I don't personally see anything that says it's a legacy game. I agree, regarding that I would just make notes on a sheet of paper.

3 hours ago, Supertoe said:

By that definition, any RPG adventure/campaign is a "legacy" game. After playing through what you have, you need to create or acquire more new adventures.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. I imagine if you just refrain from making notes on the game material itself, it could be reused or passed along to a different group of people to enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Lyanheart8301 said:

By that definition, any RPG adventure/campaign is a "legacy" game. After playing through what you have, you need to create or acquire more new adventures.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. I imagine if you just refrain from making notes on the game material itself, it could be reused or passed along to a different group of people to enjoy.

Legacy games are actually something different: they require you to do permanent changes to game components, like applying stickers to the board, opening sealed envelopes, destroying other components, and so on. RPGs are in no way like this: the adventure can be replayed as many times as you wish, with of course different characters and so on, but still, you can avoid damaging components, which you cannot in a Legacy game.

This isn't a legacy game, however, otherwise it'd be clearly stated on the news

11 hours ago, Oak tree said:

I think it's more like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

That was my impression, as well. So, it's a Legacy game, per se, but there's little point in playing a given scenario again.

My fist thought was that this might be more of a T.I.M.E. Stories kind of game.

And I just found this on the descriptions page:

" The world is too expansive to explore during a single playthrough, inviting heroes to return to Terrinoth and the mystery of Dragonholt for multiple replay opportunities".

So I guess that rules out Legacy.

31 minutes ago, The Rog said:

And I just found this on the descriptions page:

" The world is too expansive to explore during a single playthrough, inviting heroes to return to Terrinoth and the mystery of Dragonholt for multiple replay opportunities".

So I guess that rules out Legacy.

This probably means there's a campaign (single session vs multiple session)

Alright, you are right Julia, I guess legacy is a poor word choice (it's in the name though, give me a break :P ).

Revised question: Can I play through it multiple times or is a one-time per scenario mystery game?

Edited by Supertoe

THAT is a good question. The advert promises, "The world is too expansive to explore during a single playthrough, inviting heroes to return to Terrinoth and the mystery of Dragonholt for multiple replay opportunities." Okay, except that "Players’ stories begin with the To New Roads quest, which takes these brave heroes to a small farming county where the heir has recently died under suspicious circumstances." So... is each "replay opportunity" a different quest, which, at least thematically, has no replay value (unless Terrinoth has a plague of dead heirs in farms)? You do get six quests, so you get at least play the game six "times". Assuming each quest is a campaign, this still means a fair number of game sessions worth of play. Plus, who knows, maybe this set will have further quest expansions as well as lend itself to fan content. Thankfully, this isn't KS'ed, so reviewers will be able to tell us how much gameplay this game will have. Also, I hope game publishers continue to publish "non-replayable" games, such as CYOAs and Sherlock Holmes Consuting Detective games, which I enjoy more than dice rolling and looking up rules in rulebooks.

Oh, and it would be nice to finally find out what Terrinoth is about. :D

Edited by ced1106
16 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Oh, and it would be nice to finally find out what Terrinoth is about. :D

You've missed several boats, friend.

On 8/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, Supertoe said:

hear, hear. while their "tiny droplets" info release strategy for upcoming products is maddening, FFG does two things I absolutely love: avoid Kickstarter, and avoid Legacy.

My best impression is that it's a tabletop RPG that is written and designed so that there is no need for a DM. Basically a combination of a full RPG and a choose your own adventure book. After seeing the narrative possibilities explored in the Arkham Horror LCG, I'm fairly confident in their ability to pull it off. It looks like the initial box includes six adventures(modules in D&D parlance) that link together to form a campaign.

Perhaps the system is familiar to the Fabled Lands gamebooks. These were (are) gamebooks offering Pick-a-path adventures. But the brilliant idea of Fabled Lands was that it was a sandbox where you could go as you like and your decisions and the outcomes of your adventures were recorded by ticking off the appropriate codewords as well as ticking boxes at entries (text sections). So for example, if you arrived at text section 123, the text could read: "If there is a tick in the box go to section 234, if the box is not ticked go to 345". Or "if you have the codeword Assassin, go to section ..., if not go to section..." Thus, if you chose to support the rebel general and assasinated the king, returning to the (former) king's seat could be a hazardous decision.

Still a wonderful set of gamebooks.

Maybe Legacy of Dragonholt offers something similar. I am intrigued, for certain, and hope they will give as more information soon.