secondVISION's Painting

By secondVISION, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Hello! I've recently started painting and the Imperial Assault miniatures are my first painting projects.

I'm using some cheap brushes from a dollar store and a couple of higher quality from Rosemary and Co (sizes 0/2, 0, 1). All paints are Vallejo Game Color.

Miniatures are posted in order of painting:

First set: Heavy Stormtroopers from the Twin Shadows expansion

ZNCKf2u.jpg

yJ8oZP1.jpg

Second set: Tusken Raiders from the Twin Shadows expansion:

Vo2iApA.jpg

0rPA3mm.jpg

Hero: Biv Bodhrik (Twin Shadows)

5WH5oZf.jpg

Hero: Saska Teft (Twin Shadows)

jKIU971.jpg

Core Set: Stormtroopers

zP44lhk.jpg RnwB1Kx.jpg ARduM3g.jpg

Core Set: Royal Guards

BrU5zNJ.jpg bOaB9lI.jpg

As you can see, I only do a basecoat of the mini and its details. I currently do not have Nuln Oil and I tried (multiple times) to make my own but that failed (e.g., the Royal Guard with a black/red color).

Thanks to Sorastro , 54NCH32 , and many others for their color schemes/ideas.

Edited by secondVISION

You're doing great!

The nice thing about paint is that if you don't like it, you can always paint over it or strip it and try again.

When using a wash (your own or pre-made,) brush it into the folds and creases where it will pool. Wipe your brush dry and then suck up the excess wash with the dried brush until you have the shading where you want it.

Remember that washes will darken and dull your colors, so coming back with the base color after the wash has dried will help bring back the luster of the original color pre-wash. Just do it with a relatively dry brush.

If you haven't been made aware of Sorastro's videos, do yourself a favor and watch the first handful. You don't need to go into as much detail as he does unless that's your thing. Most people I know block out the colors, wash and do higlights/clean-up and they're happy with the results.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Edited by Force Majeure
18 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

When using a wash (your own or pre-made,) brush it into the folds and creases where it will pool. Wipe your brush dry and then suck up the excess wash with the dried brush until you have the shading where you want it.

Remember that washes will darken and dull your colors, so coming back with the base color after the wash has dried will help bring back the luster of the original color pre-wash. Just do it with a relatively dry brush.

Thanks!

I forgot to wait for the wash to dry, I immediately applied other colors on top of it. I painted three more stormtroopers and let the wash dry for 30minutes before doing some very minor highlights (I re-painted the helmet in white and didn't like the contrast with the body armor).

Core Set: Stormtroopers

qzkY7O9.jpg

gFRONPS.jpg

ux2gxLy.jpg

QGS2ohi.jpg

If the white is too bright, you can do a light wash over it. Or conversely, if you like the white and want the rest of the armor to match, you can do some light brushing with the white onto the darker armor.

Here 's an article about line highlighting that covers correcting mistakes.

Core Set: Probe Droids

Tried to some line highlighting on top of the heads and a tiny bit on the legs.

VpSgfbt.jpg

AH806DG.jpg

Great work all around. I am very impressed with the look you achieved on the eyes of the "Probe Droids" or as the toys were called "Pro-Bots". Keep up the amazing work and keep posting.

I avoided washes on my troopers but found on some miniatures it was almost necessary. Some of the miniatures I painted are done in silver first like a primer and the rest is only washes. I enjoyed how my droids came out so I actually purchased more C-3PO and R2-D2 as well as BT-1 and 0-0-0 packs to create droid variations.

1 hour ago, C3POFETT said:

Great work all around. I am very impressed with the look you achieved on the eyes of the "Probe Droids" or as the toys were called "Pro-Bots". Keep up the amazing work and keep posting.

I avoided washes on my troopers but found on some miniatures it was almost necessary. Some of the miniatures I painted are done in silver first like a primer and the rest is only washes. I enjoyed how my droids came out so I actually purchased more C-3PO and R2-D2 as well as BT-1 and 0-0-0 packs to create droid variations.

Thanks! I checked your troopers and that's the look I like more for the troopers.
That method you describe is similar to how I painted the eyes (basecoat black / silver layer / actual eye color).

22 hours ago, secondVISION said:

Thanks! I checked your troopers and that's the look I like more for the troopers.
That method you describe is similar to how I painted the eyes (basecoat black / silver layer / actual eye color).

I appreciate you taking a look at my miniatures. I am getting around to painting all my bases now and should have the rest of my stuff pisted soon. With over 250 miniatures painted it is taking a while to get the bases done.

I have also created some custom character cards that can be seen in another thread and have found and repainted WotC miniatures to supplement the cards.