Colchester Water Patch

By Son Gopaul, in UFS Tourney Reports

Well, I'm going to keep this one short for a change, as things weren't acually surprising to me. However, this was Water, so it was no surprise anyway - too much defense does this to people.

Our Water Patch was a strange one, for as far as I remember, none of the Colchester playgroup were known for playing Water decks. Speaking of players, we had Rob (ChaosChild), Daisy (Saccharin) and Liall (Icky) join us, the first of which was playing his favorite symbol. The rules for the Water event were Water cards only, with Rejection banned and anyone who killed with Ahogani Geri - Ibis Minuet loop did not receive any prizes. We only managed 3 rounds of swiss, which was a pain to some players but others had to leave early.

I had been planning to build Huitzil for a while for this event, but found ot my misreading of Genocide plus Huitzil's lack of a handsize were what slowed me down while people playing Feline Spike were going to kill me first. So I decided to build Juni, with extreme commiting power and a kill card in the form of High Plasma Beam.

To start with, I was in high spirits, seeing a good turnout which meant a lot of different decks being played. However, I had to face Alex (Squall14)'s Ibuki*, which was playing Feline Spike and Kasumi Suzaku in the same deck. I managed to get an early advantage on him, with Juni punishing Ibuki's larger hand size by forcing her entire staging area to commit. This led me to pummeling with lots of Shadow Blades and Plasma Beams, and got through with a 2-0 win.

Second round I was up against Rob, who was playing his favorite Galford*, with the Ibis-Ahogani loop. Fortunately for me, he didn't see an Ibis hit the field, but he did get all his Chester's Backings down. Luckily for me, I had borrowed a playset off Kyle, and attempted to match him. The game turned into a real battle of attrition, which cumulated in shouts of "I NEGATE WITH CHESTER'S BACKING!!!" and the match ending in a 0-0 tie since the lifegain got a little too silly and every time I would attempt a Plasma Beam, I failed it.

For the third and final round, I was up against Dan (Nemesis), who was playing Alba** with good old Arrogance. Dan's been on a roll of extremely competitive decks lately, and this was no different. Game 1 he beat he round the face with Darkness Blade, and then proceeded to Arrogance lock me through game 2. Despite my efforts, I managed to get him down to 3 before time was called. A 0-1 loss.

So although it was fun being in the Water Patch, it wasn't very surprising - well, except for Kyle winning with a Sakura Punch deck including Furiko Upper and Batobi Punch shenanigans. And at least I got a :::Ken::: for my troubles!

Yeah, I made an extreme mess of this tournament by accidently forgetting to bring my laptop. (**** my mother for ringing me on my way out of the house!) Pen and paper jobs are not the easiest things for swiss :|. However, it seemed like pretty much everyone was having fun, so I was happy with the end result :D

I didn't play in this one, as I'm waiting on the next set to build a deck or 3! Now the only thing left to do is to sort out this new ladder tournament and sort out whether it's going to be block 2 or 3...

Ricky i am insulted 5 hyandsize characters are slow PAh and again i say PAh i didnt do to bad with seong mina

Son Gopaul said:

... my misreading of Genocide plus Huitzil's lack of a handsize were what slowed me down...

Quote edited for clarity.

Genocide does more damage if you're playing a bigger hand size character (which I thought was the opposite), but hurts you more in the long run.

Seong Mi-Na's technically a 6HS anyway, as she has recursion whereas Huitzil does not.

how is it suprising sakura won? she is probably the second best water charecter behind ukyo.

It wasn't Sakura that was surprising so much as the way she was run. When was the last time any of us saw Batobi Punch and Furiko Upper being loaded into a deck? I think Kyle may have stolen my good luck, as running over 10 2CC's seems not to phase him in the slightest...

the 2CCs werent the problem lol

it was the nearly 40 cards at 3 or more difficulty lol but i ran absurd amounts of "i dont fail my check, Honest" in the deck

really kyle won? i was pretty sure it was a draw between us in the final meaning ukyo did just as well as sakura.

i might be missing something here but im pretty sure it came out in the final as 1-1

final game was amazing though kyle and me arriving back late then trying to eat our messed up orders of burger king whilst playing.

id really like to know if it was a draw for 1st place because well otherwise id be telling fibbs if i was t say it was a draw.

someone fill me in on the blanks here.

cheers lilly

OK my informants mutve been telling me lies. I heard you guys got to the finals, but I didn't know who won

we only played 2 games with 1 win each then time was called so i take it thats a draw.

was such a great weekend. ricki add me on xbox live so we can play my add is Aderangedbunny i think i sent you an invite already.

I got your invite, but my computer doesn't seem to pic up mic sounds very well. I think I did already add you, but I'll try again next time I'm on.

I am currently running a sakura deck. What is the best way to run her? I actually made her into a discard deck, just because she's able to survive well and can get cards out of her discard so easily. Any comments?