Shudde M'ell Playthrough & Thoughts on Cities in Ruin.

By CardboardCultist, in General Discussion

I've been really impressed so far with the Cities in Ruin expansion. I think the Disaster deck has really added a nice fresh dynamic to the game. I've lost a fair few solo playthroughs vs Shudde M'ell due to chaining disasters in the late game, but its a ton of fun watching the world turn to ruin! This is my favourite small box expansion so far and a welcome addition to the game.

If anyone wants to see how I got on vs Shudde M'ell you can check out my youtube channel below where I've done a time lapse of a Shudde session and I talk a bit more about gameplay.

Cardboard Cultist vs Shudde M'ell

From now on, I'll add Apocalypse Nigh in every game. Great expansion.

Here's the game in progress (3rd game with disasters):

Against Shudde M'ell
-----------------------
-Finn, Rita, Wilson
-Mission: Mystery, rumor?, blue gates, assets through encounters, having fun, meeting old friends again (Star Spawn, Shan, The Hound)

1st mystery: 2 Ancient Cthonians
1st rumor: Wind-Walker
1st turn: Awful rolls...

Then: Wilson has Fetch Stick now (Just what he needed, Finn can have his Blunderbuss) , Finn has Shotgun now (okay...),
Rita becomes a spellcaster/support (gains Flesh Ward and Improve Lore)!

A couple of easy Mythos cards...Allies...one of them stabs Finn in the back! You bastard! Rita casts Flesh Ward!
1st mystery owned by Wilson (supported by Rita in Tokyo)!
2nd mystery in Africa: This one goes to Finn...Oh no....

Mythos: Bad Karma---> everyone has Dark Pact! (No one loses ANYTHING...)
Disasters: So far only Frozen Rails! (Finn can travel if needed)

Finn solves the second mystery (Africa). Next one needs Rita (Her Lore is now 4).
Next Reckoning could be the end (Three Dark Pacts waiting to go off, who cares...)!

Turn 10 awaits...
-maybe Finn or Wilson could be replaced by High-Lore investigator who destroys the last mystery?
-Wilson is now Lethal (Fetch Stick, Cigarette Case and his 2 dice per Focus ability) with Rita supporting him (Flesh Ward and Instill Bravery)!

Good stuff, thanks for commenting. Its great to see how others are handling Shudde M'ell or the disasters deck!