Writing a Critical Essay (with crystal ball and the wishing well)

By LeraGun, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

A critical essay is a paper that reacts to another publication - such as an article, a book, or a movie. A critical essay presents your opinion on the publication, supported with specific examples, quotes, and references taken from the publication itself.

A critical essay must not summarize - or rewrite - the original publication. Rather it should analyze the ideas presented and comment on them.

In the introduction, buy essays on EssayXXL.com you state the name, source and author(s) of the publication. You write a brief summary of the main idea of the article. The introduction should also state the writers' opinion on the ideas.

Next, you analyze parts of the publication. Each paragraph will focus on a specific idea, with the arguments to support or refute that idea. These arguments must consist of concrete evidence - facts, reasons, examples, statistics, or comparisons which support your opinion. Do not support opinions with other opinions. Write in the third person (No "I, me, my, mine, we, our, etc.").

The conclusion of a critical essay serves to ensure that there is no doubt in the reader's mind as to what you believe and why.

Knowledge Bits of the Day

Process Analysis

Process Analysis is useful in two types of writing situations: 1) when you want to give step-by-step instructions to readers showing how they can do something, or 2) when you want readers to understand how something happens even though they won't actually follow the steps out lined. The first kind of process analysis is directional; the second is informational.

Edited by LeraGun