[Waiqar][200] Blight Party

By tkundnobody, in Runewars List Building

After some painting I tried to build a hopefully playable list from my material (2 Cores and W1 each once). The Lancer are Standing in Front of the Archer. Both Spread blight. The Carions should go in melee at round 3 or 4. Ardus and the Reanimates go straight and focus on the biggest thread. both deal a lot damage and can survive a lot.

Faction: Waiqar

Ardus Ix Erebus
# of Trays: 1 ( 37 points)
- Ancient Technique ( 2 points)
= 39 total unit cost

Reanimates
# of Trays: 9 ( 50 points)
- Front Line Carrion Lancer ( 5 points)
- Blighted Vexillum Bearer ( 3 points)
- Lingering Dead ( 3 points)
= 61 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
# of Trays: 2 ( 18 points)
= 18 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 18 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 18 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
# of Trays: 1 ( 15 points)
= 15 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
= 15 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
= 15 total unit cost

I think you'll find 2 trays of archers without upgrades disappointing purely because they won't get re-rolls. IMHO you should use rank discipline, and if you want extra damage maybe try tempered steel with Ardus' list building ability. Otherwise, I like it. You'll want to keep the smaller units away from Kari and horthorned 4x1 cavalry.

8 hours ago, Qark said:

I think you'll find 2 trays of archers without upgrades disappointing purely because they won't get re-rolls. IMHO you should use rank discipline, and if you want extra damage maybe try tempered steel with Ardus' list building ability. Otherwise, I like it. You'll want to keep the smaller units away from Kari and horthorned 4x1 cavalry.

This is my experiance as well. You might also find that all enemies does not carry blight around all the time, which means (also in my experience) that Lamcers really need the extra threat that a pair gives, AND rank discipline to actually roll those hits.

Thank you for your feedback!

I changed the list as you commented. All Archers got Rank Discipline for rerolls. 2 Carrion Lancer were put together also with Rank Discipline. To points off, i reduced the trays of Reanimates from 9 to 6. Does this look better in your eyes?

Ardus Ix Erebus
= 39 total unit cost

Reanimates
# of Trays: 6 ( 35 points)
- Front Line Carrion Lancer ( 5 points)
- Lingering Dead ( 3 points)
= 46 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 22 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 22 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 22 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
# of Trays: 2 ( 27 points)
= 31 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
= 15 total unit cost

I still think you might find your archers to be a bit toothless without Tempered steel. An effective variant could also be to clump 2 of the Archer groups thus skipping Rank disciple but instead going with Combat ingenuity for more consistent blighting.

It might also be helpful to consider that the Front Lancer actually might turn out to do nothing in practice for a whole match due to the limited number of surges on red dice (1) and the low effectiveness of Mortal Strikes on infantry enemies. The Support lancer can spit while the unit is moving and fighting if targets are available. Blight is actually quite an effective defencive measure. Alternatively since you probably have ranged superiority I think that Moment of inspiration could be useful on the reanimates if you are able to sit them back and load up inspiration tokens for future exhaustions.

1 hour ago, Maktorius said:

I still think you might find your archers to be a bit toothless without Tempered steel. An effective variant could also be to clump 2 of the Archer groups thus skipping Rank disciple but instead going with Combat ingenuity for more consistent blighting.

It might also be helpful to consider that the Front Lancer actually might turn out to do nothing in practice for a whole match due to the limited number of surges on red dice (1) and the low effectiveness of Mortal Strikes on infantry enemies. The Support lancer can spit while the unit is moving and fighting if targets are available. Blight is actually quite an effective defencive measure. Alternatively since you probably have ranged superiority I think that Moment of inspiration could be useful on the reanimates if you are able to sit them back and load up inspiration tokens for future exhaustions.

Archers without Tempered steel work okay against rank and file 1 armour dudes. If they are shooting at cav that have the white +1 armour you are going to have a hard time. Just depends what you are going to use them for. I do like 2x2 archers with RD and CI but at what point does this become an entirely different list. I think having the 2x1 blocks is good but it has to be played differently. I also agree that the front line lancer probably isn't a good use of points because of the low number of surges on the reds. I would drop it completely or do the support lancer, deathcaller, simultaneous orders combo.

Even if Frontline Carrion Lancer's surge ability never triggers, it still gives more health to the Reanimate unit than a tray of 4 Reanimates. It also gives you another unit from which to measure for Ardus' ability, which could come in handy, depending on deployment. This is especially true if the Reanimates are charging forward with Ardus while the other Carrion Lancers hang back. Of course, you have to decide if that is worth the price of the upgrade.

Though you shouldn't count on it, you could always add a blue die when you flank so you can get more surges, but with how the list strategy has been described, I doubt flanking with Reanimates will happen too often.

You guys have valid points. And yeah the frontline carrion is for health points. Now after buffing Archers with tempered steel, I had them point problems, so I remove the frintline carrier and lingerine dead. I dont know what is more effective: 9 rank reanimates or 6 reanimates and carrion lancer?

Ardus Ix Erebus
= 39 total unit cost

Reanimates
= 53 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
- Tempered Steel ( 3 points)
= 25 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 25 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 25 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
= 31 total unit cost

My biggest problem at the moment is that I dont have much games played. less time :(

1 hour ago, tkundnobody said:

You guys have valid points. And yeah the frontline carrion is for health points. Now after buffing Archers with tempered steel, I had them point problems, so I remove the frintline carrier and lingerine dead. I dont know what is more effective: 9 rank reanimates or 6 reanimates and carrion lancer?

Ardus Ix Erebus
= 39 total unit cost

Reanimates
= 53 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 25 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 25 total unit cost

Reanimate Archers
= 25 total unit cost

Carrion Lancer
= 31 total unit cost

My biggest problem at the moment is that I dont have much games played. less time :(

That looks good to me! Remember to rally with the archers early so you can refresh the steel and shield them from charges with your smaller melee units.