Stay on Target

By Glucose98, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I think these new target markers are super interesting. Especially the Rebel Cell one . It'll depend on what objective value that card is (probably a 3)? to determine how useful it will be ultimately. But that will really put a timer on the Empire to keep moving

These look like they could be super interesting.

I totally agree about Rebel Cell, looks like it could force more large scale conflicts, which could be interesting.

Also, Secure the Plans looks really neat! Even more protection for Death Stars, plus it encourages a Rogue One style conflict. I'm a huge fan- though I do wonder if it might be too good. Death Stars were pretty vulnerable in the base game, but this and the shield bunkers make using Death Star Plans almost impossible. Maybe that's how it should be, though.

Edited by subtrendy2

If I read the preview article correctly, once per turn, the Rebel will be able to discard a single Objective card in order to gain 1 Reputation. Am I the only one thinking this seems over-powered? I mean - Objectives have conditions, which is what keeps balance to the game. I would expect the Rebelplayer to need to invest something like 2 Objective cards to gain & Reputation thanks to the Rebel Cell.

Or maybe I've read the preview wrong.

2 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Secure the Plans looks really neat! Even more protection for Death Stars, plus it encourages a Rogue One style conflict. I'm a huge fan- though I do wonder if it might be too good. Death Stars were pretty vulnerable in the base game, but this and the shield bunkers make using Death Star Plans almost impossible. Maybe that's how it should be, though.

A Death Star is "just" a single unit, and getting the Death Star Plans to work isn't always that obvious. Not to mention - there are exactly é such cards in the Rebel's Objectives deck, so it takes some time (and luck?) to get to it. Then some time to execute.

sw04-rebel-cell.png

It does have to be in a Rebel System at least. So the Empire will have some way of shaping where that can land, and some warning time. Also this appears to replace your Refresh Phase objective as is -- if you had actually completed one then this doesn't serve any purpose. So I don't think it appears too strong from the description.

4 hours ago, Yan31 said:

A Death Star is "just" a single unit, and getting the Death Star Plans to work isn't always that obvious. Not to mention - there are exactly é such cards in the Rebel's Objectives deck, so it takes some time (and luck?) to get to it. Then some time to execute.

If the Rebels actually get the Death Star plans objective and cash in on those 2 sweet reputation points, the game is basically over. The Rebels would have to really **** up playing the remainder of the game if they can take out the death star and not close out the game. In general, Rebel objectives that can be achieved through combat are always preferable and stronger to the "Start of the Refresh Phase" ones because they're so easy to achieve and you can get multiple per turn.

9 hours ago, Yan31 said:

If I read the preview article correctly, once per turn, the Rebel will be able to discard a single Objective card in order to gain 1 Reputation. Am I the only one thinking this seems over-powered? I mean - Objectives have conditions, which is what keeps balance to the game. I would expect the Rebelplayer to need to invest something like 2 Objective cards to gain & Reputation thanks to the Rebel Cell.

Well they do have to invest 2 Objective cards to gain 1 Reputation: the card they discard, plus the Rebel Cell Objective. Rebel Cell is never worth any Reputation by itself, it only allows to to treat other Objectives as though you had completed them.

It's a good catch up from behind mechanism if you have failed at your Objectives, but if you're setting yourself up correctly to succeed at them, it's just a wasted draw.

9 hours ago, Yan31 said:

More than has already been explained, this is basically broadcasting how you're planning on completing an Objective to the Empire. Which means they can work towards directly countering it, which isn't something they can do as easily in the base game, due to the variety of objectives.

Love the card, and love that it feels like it's giving the Empire a more tangible goal, outside of, "Find the Rebel Base."

Rebel cell looks very formidable. But any good Imp player is going to be in position to attack such a target in 1 or 2 turns. The threat of objective points is a big draw. Ignore it and lose due to objectives, or attack it and lose to time. I love how the objectives change the course of the game. Everything is proceeding as normal, and then suddenly outposts or cell gets played and the Imps have to change their plans entirely.

Secure the plans makes it easier for the Imps to wield the DS, and forces the Rebels to launch a large scale assault before using the plans. But it also forces the Imps to focus some forces to defend it. Raid outposts is kind of the same. Force the imps to either give up points, or waste resources defending nothing of value. If the Rebels have the right cards, they could earn these points fast.

1 target wasn't revealed. Looks like it may be fleet based, but that's just speculation off the picture.

Rebel cell isn't that great because it's immediate. Most likely the card will go off and do nothing. It requires a lot of planning to make any good. A good card. But not great. Which suggests it's balanced.

An 'immediate' trigger is not well defined for objective cards, though. It's not mandatory to play an objective card when you receive it, nor when you meet its conditions.

I'm guessing there's some new rules to cover that behavior?

1 hour ago, phaze said:

An 'immediate' trigger is not well defined for objective cards, though. It's not mandatory to play an objective card when you receive it, nor when you meet its conditions.

I'm guessing there's some new rules to cover that behavior?

I'm assuming that "immediate" is defined the same way it is when it applies to other cards. Like with action cards, when you draw an action card that says "immediate" it means you play it immediately.

It makes sense in regards to this card, as the marker has to be on the table before you can qualify to score it because of how the card is written. Similar to outpost raids.

Probably not much of a stretch to say that when you draw an objective card that says immediate that you play it immediately. It's a much farther stretch to say that drawing a card that says immediate that it's not mandatory to play it immediately

Edited by davidumstattd
On 7/28/2017 at 7:18 PM, g07h4xf00 said:

If the Rebels actually get the Death Star plans objective and cash in on those 2 sweet reputation points, the game is basically over. The Rebels would have to really **** up playing the remainder of the game if they can take out the death star and not close out the game. In general, Rebel objectives that can be achieved through combat are always preferable and stronger to the "Start of the Refresh Phase" ones because they're so easy to achieve and you can get multiple per turn.

Complete nonsense. The empire will win about a third of the time their death star gets destroyed. Sure the rebels are put into a good position when the death star is destroyed but good empire players don't rely on the death star and expect the rebels to win about 4 points. Losing the death star is ususally expected to happen in most games and empire players plan around it.

And I wouldn't say that combat objectives are superior or inferior to refresh phase objectives, good empire players know about possible combat objectives and defend accordingly.

21 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

Complete nonsense. The empire will win about a third of the time their death star gets destroyed. Sure the rebels are put into a good position when the death star is destroyed but good empire players don't rely on the death star and expect the rebels to win about 4 points. Losing the death star is usually expected to happen in most games and empire players plan around it.

And I wouldn't say that combat objectives are superior or inferior to refresh phase objectives, good empire players know about possible combat objectives and defend accordingly.

I will say that this will effect the learning curve and be pretty much killer if playing against a new Imperial player, but, otherwise, this is correct -- an experienced Imperial player knows what to look out for, at least to some degree.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:30 PM, davidumstattd said:

Complete nonsense. The empire will win about a third of the time their death star gets destroyed. Sure the rebels are put into a good position when the death star is destroyed but good empire players don't rely on the death star and expect the rebels to win about 4 points. Losing the death star is ususally expected to happen in most games and empire players plan around it.

Not exactly. In general there are two combat objectives to look out for. The "Liberation" and the "Crippling Blow" objectives. Empire is going to have more planets subjugated than loyal. It's very easy for Rebels to get these objectives with a well-placed "Incite Rebellion", "Public Uprising", or "Lead the Strike Team" can accomplish this quite well. So can a first-turn attack onto any imperial planet with 3-HP worth of units. These are two of the easiest cards to get. Unless the empire defends every subjugated planet with like 3-4 ground units (mix of stormtroopers+AT-STs), I don't see how you can really avoid some of these. What, just hold back Vader/Palpatine every turn from doing movements or going on missions in case Rebels play these cards and you can attempt to oppose the missions?

I've played 30+ games and these are definitely 2 of the easiest objectives for Rebels to get, and they're great because you can get multiple of them per turn (or stack with a "start of the refresh phase" objective).

Edited by g07h4xf00