Thinking of Buying the game...

By Maedhros2, in Age of Conan

Hi there,

I was thinking of buying this game(i never played it) but i was wondering if you really need 4 players or you can also have good games with 3 or only 2 players?

Thanks.

Yes, thanks.

But, i do not want IT to be compared to others 2 players games. I want to know if the game is good with 2 or 3 players since this can be hard to get 4 peoples to play sometimes.

Thanks for the answers.

4p=Great!!

3p=good

2p= hum...

...for exemple.

Merci.

Also thinking of getting this one, what is the average paly time for it?

Plem45 said:

Also thinking of getting this one, what is the average paly time for it?

Our first game, including teaching time, took 4 hours. Subsequent game with experienced players took less than 3. I think this one is harder to teach than "Runewars", and you should allow time for that, plus new players going "slow" in the first game.

This game is WELL worth the effort it takes to teach and learn.

TK

Maedhros said:

Hi there,

I was thinking of buying this game(i never played it) but i was wondering if you really need 4 players or you can also have good games with 3 or only 2 players?

Thanks.

I've only played with 3 players once or twice; the other 20+ times with 4. I like it best with 4. It's a GOOD game with 3, but it's ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL with 4.

TK

Maedhros said:

Yes, thanks.

But, i do not want IT to be compared to others 2 players games. I want to know if the game is good with 2 or 3 players since this can be hard to get 4 peoples to play sometimes.

Thanks for the answers.

4p=Great!!

3p=good

2p= hum...

...for exemple.

Merci.

It depends on the type of game you want to play. With 4 players it becomes more crowdy in the gameboard (some people like chaos, some others don't), and the "die stealing" mechanic becomes more important (since the action dice pool is common, you can use an action die just because you don't want others to use it).

There's a lot of people who really enjoys it (and prefers it) with 3 players (that includes my group)... you have more space in the board for militar expansion and you can settle your territory before PvP combat begins (again, some people might not like this) and the dice are less important, since there are more dice available.

With two players it's still nice, though it becomes a face2face race for territories and Conan... the bid for Conan is easier since you know wich tokens your opponent already used. However, it's still fun with 2 players, we also play a lot of 2p games, and with the expansion it's just getting better and better... happy.gif

thanks everyone. I just got the game. will start to play soon!

Me waitin for your feedback on that one :)

I've only played the game with 3 players and we felt it seemed to be missing something - would a fourth player change the dynamics of the game?

amadou said:

It depends on the type of game you want to play. With 4 players it becomes more crowdy in the gameboard (some people like chaos, some others don't), and the "die stealing" mechanic becomes more important (since the action dice pool is common, you can use an action die just because you don't want others to use it).

There's a lot of people who really enjoys it (and prefers it) with 3 players (that includes my group)... you have more space in the board for militar expansion and you can settle your territory before PvP combat begins (again, some people might not like this) and the dice are less important, since there are more dice available.

Because you are limited to specific regions of the map depending on the number of players, it's been my experience that the available regions tend to fill up at the same pace regardless of the number of players. I do agree that with more players, choosing specific action can be much more crippling in 4-player games. Thinking about it, it might be interesting to reduce the number of action dice in the pool to five or even three in a 2-player game to make this strategy more obvious.

In terms enjoyment, my group prefers to play with four people; lots of conflict, allegiances formed and broken, and the four kingdoms keeping the others in check. Next would be two people; room for expanding kingdoms, balanced, straight head-to-head. Playing with three is typically the least favorable for us, because it seems like in those games, either two players fight it out, letting the third player silently slip into first place and victory. Or, two players gang up on a single player, even though that player may not be leading either in points or map dominance, although I must admit that this is based on only a handful of 3-player games. Additionally, I have been one who has benefited by being left alone to ****** victory and I have been on the receiving end of an unwarranted smack down.

Tsugo said:

Playing with three is typically the least favorable for us, because it seems like in those games, either two players fight it out, letting the third player silently slip into first place and victory.

... Additionally, I have been one who has benefited by being left alone to ****** victory and I have been on the receiving end of an unwarranted smack down.

This issue (among some other cool stuff being added) will be improved in the expansion happy.gif

However, as I said, it depends on taste... Sometimes with 4 people one is left alone too... so it depends on your gaming group's style of playing. Albeit we still like it a lot with 4! gran_risa.gif