To seal or not to seal

By Chaoticus, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hello Guys,

I'm interested into your opinion of sealing sprays. I was using the matt purity seal spray of GW yesterday on my Spearman and got some problems with (mild) frosting. I know that one should use these sprays only at room temperature and not on a humid day and I took that into account and sprayed in my cellar. Still, got some frosting but I hope I will be able to deal with that by adding some paint. I actually tested the spray on my spare Kari and didn't see such a bad result (only a slight colour shift and a somewhat wired finish which is probably part of the game).

Still it is very frustrating. Especially when I see my minis before the spraying, want to protect them and end up with an unsatisfactory result.

So, what is your approach?` Is the wear you'd expect over time worth the risk? Can you recommend other products? Or is the use of the spray (temperature, humidity, distance) super important? If so, I'd love to get some more detailed advice.

Thanks!

You can fix frosting issues by hitting the models with gloss sealer. Be sure to closely follow the directions when dealing with seal sprays. I used Testor's dulcote and have never had a problem. My buddy used TAP anti-shine and has never had a problem.

I've had similar problems with that spray, gloss them, then matte them again. I'm just sticking with brush ons, less headache.

For years, I've been using a brush-on satin varnish and then a matte varnish spray. This is my preferred method for sealing important minis. Overall, I've not had significant damage issues with chipping or other wear using this method.

The brush-on gives you great coverage and lets you bring on a heavy coat in certain places you may want more protection on. Brush-ons are always alittle but more protective in general than sprays because of the uniform coverage. The satin brush-on gives a great mix between gloss and matte finish. I use a craft store brand brush-on satin varnish and have had very consistent results.

Then I spray with multiple small coats of a spray matte varnish - I've always used Testors Dullcote 1260. I've tried other spray matte varnishes and nothing brings down the shine and glare like 1260. I can't recommend it enough.

I generally avoid GW spray products. I've not had good luck with coverage, adherence, etc with their varnishes and primers. Even during my "I love everything GW" days, I still had problems and went to other brands.

I'd also add that primer is key with sealing too, because if the paint isn't sticking well in the first place, it's even harder to seal.

@Hawkman2000 funny thing is I prime with Corax white and get great results (over generally dislike GW though, I use a few colours).

Dullcoat, such a loved product, a bit too matte for me though.

I'm very happy with the GW primers. Especially the black one. But I shall try the brush-on seals. Thanks for the input.

I was had a major frosting problem with a whole painted army.

Try getting some olive oil....rub it on with a cloth.

Works wonders.

Testors Gloss Coat spray, followed by Dull Coat the next day (I believe they are #1260 and 1261 in small spray cans) have always been perfect for my hobby efforts. Recommended by a local shop right when I started painting. Perfect, every time.

I've seen frosted minis...especially from GW spray --- I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Have people had experience with damaged miniatures over time? Does sealing really make a difference?

I believe that may be an aerosol can problem. An airbrush is a great investment. So much more control when spraying over a can. The thing is, you really don't need an expensive airbrush for priming and final coats.

But isn't the air typically very humid in a cellar? Personally, I am using the same Purity Seal spray that you use, and I had some frosting issues from time to time, but I bought a 10$ hygrometer; now I spray only when the humidity is in the 40% to 50% range and the result is always perfect since then. Air conditioning can bring me to the desired range within an hour if I absolutely need to varnish any given day (and if I'm okay to do it inside). Also, if I did not use the can for a while i shake it for no less than 5 MINUTES before starting. Hope that helps.

Hey Xargonaut, thanks for the advice. Finally someone coming up with some actual numbers :) . Next time I shall stray outside on a sunny day. Should be fine then.

Another possible error that I sprayed like 10 Spearmen at a time, and the distance to each mini was not the same. Is the distance also important? On the can it says 25 cm if I recall correctly.

7 hours ago, Chaoticus said:

Hey Xargonaut, thanks for the advice. Finally someone coming up with some actual numbers :) . Next time I shall stray outside on a sunny day. Should be fine then.

Another possible error that I sprayed like 10 Spearmen at a time, and the distance to each mini was not the same. Is the distance also important? On the can it says 25 cm if I recall correctly.

No, distance is not that important, anywhere within the 6 to 12 inches is fine. What is important though is that you do just very light bursts (a fraction of a second on the same mini), and do a second layer 30 minutes later if you think it needs it (I personally always do that). Another thing to note is that if you're doing a batch of minis at the same time, keep shaking the spray can a little bit between bursts, because even in optimal conditions, it happened to me once that by the 9th miniature the frosting started to appear again (I won't make that no-shaking mistake anymore, hehe).

And be careful about those sunny days, as you surely know, depending on the current season and where you live, sunny days can be extremely humid. The hygrometer sounds a bit hardcore, but it's reliable and when you've spent so much time and effort into your minis, you don't want to see them ruined at the final step! :-)

Cheers.

Uncanny...posted ealrier up about frosting.

Just sprayed my Daqan Cavalry and infantry from core set.

They arnt ruined but they have definitely had a light coat of frosting....slightly dimmed colours. Very annoying but still good enough not to try rework I think.

16 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Have people had experience with damaged miniatures over time? Does sealing really make a difference?

Oh yes, if you handle the minis regularly - i.e. play the game - the colors will be rubbed off eventually. You'll even notice a difference with sealed minis - some of my Descent hero minis became quite glossy as the matte finish got worn off. But that is easily fixed through a new coast of varnish. If the paint comes off, only repainting will fix them.