Full Play Set?

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Hello all. Just got into the game and I'm trying to figure out what constitutes a full playset.

My understanding...

• 2x Core Sets
  • 2x of each Deluxe Expansion
  • 1x of each Force Pack

Is that true of all Force Packs? I've also heard people say to avoid Balance of the Force. Any reason why?

I did some research. Seems like two Core Sets, two Edge of Darkness and one of everything else. That puts the MSRP of a full playset (including the three unannounced packs of the current cycle) at just under 800 USD. That's actually not too bad.

Also much cheaper if you buy on the secondary market. Maybe half of that total cost or less.

28 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

Also much cheaper if you buy on the secondary market. Maybe half of that total cost or less.

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Amazon actually has a bunch of packs for about $8 each right now. I'll probably snap those up and then shop around for the others. I'm also eyeing some eBay auctions for lots where someone is obviously selling out of the game.

Reasons people say to avoid Balance of the Force: it primarily consists of a pair of "challenge decks" designed to be played 1v2 or 1v3 and not compatible with the main game. It also includes a single objective set for each affiliation, usually with texts that work better in 2v2 games than standard 1v1. That said, the Jedi set has seen lots of play and the Navy set isn't bad either.

11 hours ago, dbmeboy said:

Reasons people say to avoid Balance of the Force: it primarily consists of a pair of "challenge decks" designed to be played 1v2 or 1v3 and not compatible with the main game. It also includes a single objective set for each affiliation, usually with texts that work better in 2v2 games than standard 1v1. That said, the Jedi set has seen lots of play and the Navy set isn't bad either.

Gotcha. So, if I'm looking to only play standard games, I'd really be paying $30 for 6 objective sets that I'm not likely to use. Makes sense. I'll pick it up if I can get it cheap, but it's going to be at the end of the purchasing priority list.

Glad you are going to start playing this game. It really is a lot of fun. I like it more than Destiny. Wish you would have started earlier. You just missed the Store Championship at The Games Keep. Also the new cycle has added some interesting deck building options.

Can always find deals on Cardgamedb.com too.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:57 AM, ScottGilbert25 said:

Glad you are going to start playing this game. It really is a lot of fun. I like it more than Destiny. Wish you would have started earlier. You just missed the Store Championship at The Games Keep. Also the new cycle has added some interesting deck building options.

Ah. That's a shame. The Games Keep is a great looking store. I've played a couple of Armada and X-Wing events there, but it's a little far for regular gaming. I'm roping a few friends into starting. Two other guys just bought starters. We regularly meet up on Friday nights at Showcase in Swarthmore, PA and are looking to add this game to the "rotation".