Need "crest" inspiration for Waiqar banner

By Maktorius, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hi!

Has anyone managed to paint a nice crest (or something) on the wrinkled Waiqar [command] banner and can post pictures?

I've just used base color + highlight and would appreciate som inspiration for turning the painting up a level :)

Resized_20170716_165216.jpeg

YOu mean the helmet with arrows through it, yes?

2 hours ago, Blutsteigen said:

YOu mean the helmet with arrows through it, yes?

No, I mean the cloth. I would like to have something cooler than just one color, but can't think of something good since it's wrinkled and hanging loosely. A checkered pattern for instance would be both hard to paint and probably look weird in an undead host.

I taped mine and put a stripe down the center, adds a nice touch and easy to do

It could use a good wash, especially under the folds of the fabric, and after shading re-highlight.

as for designs, have you considered a cool decal?

A tapestry of waquir killing timorran

6 hours ago, Jukey said:

I taped mine and put a stripe down the center, adds a nice touch and easy to do

Could you please post a pic? How did you handle the wrinkles/folds?

6 hours ago, Blutsteigen said:

It could use a good wash, especially under the folds of the fabric, and after shading re-highlight.

as for designs, have you considered a cool decal?

I've used AP quickshade (strong tone) and edge highlighted.

I have considered a decal, but I'm worried it will be too hard due to the wrinkles/folds? If anyone could post a picture of a succesful attempt i would be grateful :)

I put a rough sketch of an elk skull on my banner. I figured the skeletons wouldn't be that great at banner making so if the symbols look imprecise that'd be ok.

Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Flag Bearer Front

That looks really cool man, and what brand of lovely static grass is that?

20 hours ago, Maktorius said:

QZv2Xrl.jpg

There's more in my painting thread, Jukeys graveyard. Just work the masking tape into the contours of the banner

21 hours ago, Maktorius said:

I've used AP quickshade (strong tone) and edge highlighted.

I have considered a decal, but I'm worried it will be too hard due to the wrinkles/folds? If anyone could post a picture of a succesful attempt i would be grateful :)

I decalled my Daqan banner beautifully, and easily, with micro set and (to a lesser extent) micro sol. They soften the decals and drop them into the contours of things. I think you could make it work for the waiqur as well. The stuff is made for uneven surfaces.

I got around the heavy wrinkles by calling the banner a shroud and having the Undead dip it into freshblood:

Waiqar_BannerSm.jpg

If I paint another one, my idea is to do a "blighted" banner: A pale grey shround again, this time with blotches of green goo and some light green OSL.