Dark Heresy Errata 2.0 Release 10/28/2008

By Jonas_Leman, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=50&esem=4

I'm sure most people have seen the new Errata for the Main Dark Heresy rulebook.

What does everyone think? I'm not sure yet but I did have a complaint regarding the Corpus Conversion change.

Corpus Conversion on page 114 should read: “You can
siphon the health of your phyical body to fuel your powers.
The Psyker may suffer the loss of one permanent point of
Toughness in order to gain a bonus 1d10 on his next Power
roll. A Psyker may sacrifice up to his Willpower Bonus in
Toughness points in this manner in a single round, gaining
an additional 1d10 to the Power Roll for each point of
Toughness sacrificed.”

A permanent Toughness point is a little harsh..... Maybe it's just me but points are rather expensive and an extra 1d10 is not worth it.....

It might be worth it if it saves your life or a fate point.

Hmmmmm. That is true. Good point.

Besides, if your toughness is 34 or something, you can still burn up to 4 points without losing a TB.

Most of the stuff looks good to me. Seems like they clarified a lot of foggy areas that needed it.

Though I should note that they screwed things up too. Making Focus Power and Standard Attack undoable in the same round destroys Diviner's abilities.

Yeah I was dissapointed in that as well.

I used to be able to do my Unatural Aim and then shoot in the same round. Now I'm only able to do the power or shoot...

I simply ignore that rule. Its pretty st00pid insofar as I can see, and really doesn't 'fix' anything as far as I've experienced in my games.

Wu Ming said:

I simply ignore that rule. Its pretty st00pid insofar as I can see, and really doesn't 'fix' anything as far as I've experienced in my games.

I agree.

It nerfs psykers fairly well. Some powers were half actions so you used to be able to do multiple powers during a round.

Well you couldn't do more than one power per turn previously as you can still make only one Focus Power action per round, you could however do things like manifest a power and do something else like attack, now you get to stand around even longer doing nothing, so say if you did choose to use Invocation and and a Power you won't actually 'act' untill the third round out (asuming you're not using an offensive power) so it really caters to Pyoromancers, or Telkines, even Biomancers anyone with more 'agressive' powers thus players who have taken more subtle powers or liked use the powers that are usually followed by an attack name a couple Divination Powers and some Minor Powers mat now no longer do that 'legally'. Which is why I ignore that 'rule' for my games, rather silly I think.

Well ignoring that is a good solution. You should be able to do your psychic power and standard attack in the same round, otherwise they don't work, since the Divine Shot/Strike power only counts for that round.

Or meet it mid way and change those powers from Free Actions to Half Actions, so you get a bonus but only 1 shot/swing.

Claytonic3000 said:

Well ignoring that is a good solution. You should be able to do your psychic power and standard attack in the same round, otherwise they don't work, since the Divine Shot/Strike power only counts for that round.

Or meet it mid way and change those powers from Free Actions to Half Actions, so you get a bonus but only 1 shot/swing.

My group hasn't had a problem with that particular rule yet. If you actually read unnatural aim, it seems it was designed with this intent. "Before the end of your next turn any ranged attacks...." Ignoring the rule honestly isn't a good solution, if you think about the intense concentration it must require to channel the warp, it makes sense that a psyker couldn't concentrate on attacking in the same 5 seconds.

Ah, I misread it before.

No Claytonic3000, you are in this far more correct than Emprah_Horus (He is Horus after all, so its easy to see how you've been misled gui%C3%B1o.gif ) But the fact that with the exception of Unatural Aim (which is a Half Action) all of the Divination powers that are simmilar (Precognative Dodge / Strike and Divine Shot) are Free Actions implies the exact oposite to what Emprah_Horus is implying.

Look on p.188 in the DH Core Book and you'll see that described under Free Action is the following:

'A Free Action takes but a split second and so can be taken in addition to any other Actions you may take in a round.'

Now if Emprah_Horus only means Unatural Aim that's still a matter of his opinon but clearly the other powers show that it was inetially left open to allow the Diviner the option do do other things in that same round they manifested their powers. Also to be noted it doesn't seem the concern was at 'fixing' problems with the Action system as much as, correctly implied by Jonas_Leeman, 'nerfing' the psykers. Non psykers or even psykers can do all manner of interesting things with little compliant.

They could with the right suite of Talents do something like the following, make a Standard Attack with a Melee weapon (Half Action) then Draw an empty gun that takes a half action to reload (Free with Quick Draw) then Reload it (Free with Rapid Reload) then take a Half Action Aim, and still Dodge or Parry durring the round post or pre Aim that sound lot a lot to do in 'a couple of seconds'. Further as long as you always take the Aim Half Action as your final Half Action you can always fire/swing at +10 the following roud as a Standard Attack and contiue to do so. Which althogh at 10 less of a bonus is a far better alternative for the non nerfed Divinier than risking a Perils to manifest Precognative Strike, making no attack that round then attacking at +20 the next round which basically turns Precognative Strike into the Aim Full Action with a Thresh Hold of 17, thats seems pretty unfair to me and I would never punish my players with such a silly and arbitray ruling made primarly to adress a problem that really isn't there in the first place.

Another note a lot of things on the recent errata was compiled by players at DR and approved by FFG which does make it offical (not disputing that) but with the exception to some fixes posted by one of the designers (TS Luikart) in the old forums, they seem more the representitive of player feelings towards adressing flaws in the system and not so much asrepresentitive necessarily of the intent of the game designers. Regardless of the RAW or Errata its the job of any GM worth a grain of Salt to adress such issues themselves and create an enviorment that is fair and enjoyable to their players, I as a player would never play a psyker under the current rules and errat and if that was the intent to help make psykers 'rare' than it was very clever design indeed.

I didn't interpret the errata the same way obviously. I took it to mean that all psychic powers are consdidered the equivalent of a standard action (i.e. a psychic power that takes a half action is like a standard attack, a full action is a full attack, and a free action is just that, a free action.) Considering there are no free action attacks, we have gone under the rule that you can use 'free psychic action' and attack in the same round, but you cannot use a free action power and a normal power in the same round.

Also, Horus was right at one point, he just took a left turn instead of a right turn somewhere along the road to Heresy.

I'll have to check but I thought the errata simply said someting to the effect that a Focus Power Action (regalrdless of Half, Free, Reaction, Full) couldn't be performed in the same round as any Attack Action (Free, Full, Half, Reaction). Period. Its VERY possible I am mistaken though, I'll double check later.

(Some might say the Emporer Betryaed Horus!!! *redies for the Inquisitorial Kills Squads gui%C3%B1o.gif )

I checked and the errata and it reads as follows:

“Making a Focus Power Action is the psychic equivalent of a Standard Attack Action , and counts as such for purposes of determining what else a psyker can do in a round. Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack on the same round. A Psyker may manifest only one ability per Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power. A Psyker is required to roll at least one die to manifest an ability.”

Although the second sentence reads " Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack on the same round. " The first sentence which equates the Focus Power Action (needed to use ANY and ALL psychic powers) with a Standard Attack action means that a psyker may NEVER , according to this errata, make any attack durring the round in which they have manifested a Power.

I think the players who came up with this errat meant to simply 'nerf' the Super Powered and Game Breaking Unantural Aim , which could have more easily and elegently been handled by making the power a Full Action rather than a Half Action (although I'd still ingnore that 'errata' as well. lengua.gif ) What has been done though is they've made Precognitive Strike a completely usesless power (unless you're only trying to get it for the Divination Mastery.)

With the new errata in effect Precognitive Strike becomes a Full Action Aim except the aim would not incur the risk of faliure, or Perils. A Full Action Aim grants a +20 bonus to your next melee or ranged attack at the cost of esentially giving up the chance to attack that round. Under errata Precognitive Strike grants the exact same +20 Bonus, has a Threshold of 17, might incur a Perils of the Warp, Counts as a Standard Attack (thus turning a power that is listed as a Free Action into a de facto Attack which robbs the psyker of an attack.)

However to be fair I must point out that their are some advanteges that might possibly make Precognitive Strike a little better than the Full Action Aim which are the following:

• The +20 Bonus is to Tests 'Untill the end of your next turn...' thus you gain +20 to Parries made and would still retain your single Reaction.
  • You may engage in another Half Action BEFORE you strike in the following round although besides using the Aim Half Action *which would net you a +30 to hit) I can fail to think of anything eles you might want to do; unlike the Aim Full Action which requires you to imeadtely attack or loose the bonus.

Despite these advantages I still feel the Power gets a serious reduction in its usefulness then it previously held, but then again it might have been intentially to turn one of the only combat applicable Divination Powers into a slightly better version of a basic Action anyone can perform.

Some other notes regarding this errata:

• Divine Shot unless itself errataed can not now be used as there is nothing that states 'your next shot' nor reads 'until end of your next turn' nor is the power sustainable and thus 'ends' at the the end of the round.
  • The Biomancer Power Seal Wounds cannot be used in the same round that the Psyker Attacked thus greatly limmiting its usefulness in actual combat. (But this is probly intentially as its threshold was doubled under the errata.)
  • The Telekine Power Catch Projectiles which is a Reaction must now be manifested a round before you expect to catch said projectiles OR must be used to before you attack, if you've attacked first or already attacked in a round you now may not use this Power which greatly inhibits its usefulness and seems counter intuitive.
  • Any Power which is listed as a Free Action looses its 'versiltilty' as you must now eithier manifest a round before you expect to need it (if its sustainable) or must withold from attacking in a round you might want to use it in as attacking would negate your abilty to use that 'Free Action'.

I think this particular aspect of the errata was a bit 'knee jerk' and not particually though out as much as it could have been and its inclusion would casue far more problems in my games than it would fix or adress. It seems ver punitive to those who have chosen to play a psyker in an attempt to fix a problem that I am not even aware of (unless its just the game breaking überness of Unatural Aim -- which should probly just be removed altogether from the game as its probly the single most abused occrence in the entire system.)

Wu Ming said:

I checked and the errata and it reads as follows:

“Making a Focus Power Action is the psychic equivalent of a Standard Attack Action , and counts as such for purposes of determining what else a psyker can do in a round. Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack on the same round. A Psyker may manifest only one ability per Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power. A Psyker is required to roll at least one die to manifest an ability.”

Although the second sentence reads " Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack on the same round. " The first sentence which equates the Focus Power Action (needed to use ANY and ALL psychic powers) with a Standard Attack action means that a psyker may NEVER , according to this errata, make any attack durring the round in which they have manifested a Power.

I think the players who came up with this errat meant to simply 'nerf' the Super Powered and Game Breaking Unantural Aim , which could have more easily and elegently been handled by making the power a Full Action rather than a Half Action (although I'd still ingnore that 'errata' as well. lengua.gif ) What has been done though is they've made Precognitive Strike a completely usesless power (unless you're only trying to get it for the Divination Mastery.)

Yeah that's the way I read it as well.

I wasn't happy with it. I think that could could have done a better job with looking at particular psychic powers and adjust the powers themselves accordingly.

To me it seems like there were a few powers that could have used some tweaking but instead they were lazy and just said all psychic powers once per round end of discussion, which like you mention in your post doesn't do certain powers any justice at all....

Hello folks,

I have downloaded the new Errata 2.0 and wanted to copy the clarifications into my core rulebook.

After a while I noticed that most of the errata is allready included.

Then I look in my core book and read I have the revised edition allready including errata 1.0.

Now - what is the difference between eraata 1.0 and 2.0? I hope you understand me that I do not want go through 16 pages only to find out that most of it is not meant for my book.

Cheers,

TechVoid

If the text in the 2.0 Errat is red its new and diffrent than the 1.0 errata. (Which there is alot of) SOme is not so much errata as fixing typpos or clarifying things that might be otherwise 'misinterpreted'.

Jonas_Leman said:

Yeah that's the way I read it as well.

I wasn't happy with it. I think that could could have done a better job with looking at particular psychic powers and adjust the powers themselves accordingly.

To me it seems like there were a few powers that could have used some tweaking but instead they were lazy and just said all psychic powers once per round end of discussion, which like you mention in your post doesn't do certain powers any justice at all....

That is what the errata states, but in the example they say a half action psychic power = a half action standard attack. So I went out on a limb and tried to see what FFG was trying to do with this errata. It appears they were trying to make a blanket rule, but may or may not have thought about all the powers that are now effected. Overall, its easy enough to rule that a free action is a free action and since there are no free action standard attacks, a free psychic action cannot be the equivalent of a standard attack. This won't solve all of the questions, but it will at least allow you to use the free actions without penalty.

Or we can wait until FFG releases the next errata.

Yeah I thought they were being lazy with that blanket rule. They should have went to each power and adjusted them accordingly.

Agreed, Jonas. I said it in the old forum thread, but I'll say it once more here too, I had to errata the errata in my game. And one of my most substantial changes was to this item under discussion. Continuing the Unnatural Aim discussion, I think you ought to be able to use the power and shoot (single) in a round. I did the following:

"Only psychic powers which directly affect other targets count as having made an attack for purposes of what a psyker can do in a round. Generally, these will be any powers where the target(s) test(s) to Resist or Oppose, or that cause damage. The GM has the final ruling on what does and does not count as an attack."

This is coming up quite often in my group - our Imperial Psyker has "Distort Vision" which is a free action. If using it negates standard actions, then its only real combat use is retreat.