What would you change/tweak

By Darksyde, in Genesys

With this new version of the SW system on the way what kind of tweaks and changes are you hoping to see?

From my year or so playing SW now I would like a change to soak and armor for a generic system. I would not use brawn for soak anymore, just hit points, and have a much wider range of soak for armor.

I don't mind the soak system, but I'd love to see some clarification on defense. There's a few skills that could be merged. I think having both perception and vigilance are a bit redundant, and just cause confusion. Vehicle combat could also use some work. Right now it's pretty clunky.

ask me again when I got the rulebook.

I'd deconstruct Agility. Too much of a dump stat imo.

My list of hopeful changes can be found on the other thread .

But I would add:

• No XP for Characteristics. It always seemed extremely odd that you could spend XP on them in chargen, but not during play. Make XP expenditure universal
1 hour ago, 2P51 said:

Depending on the genre, this may not be a problem. Star Wars skills use lots of agility. But I wouldn't expect piloting to play a huge role (if any) in Fantasy, and in such a setting you're as likely (if not more more) to swing a sword or staff than shoot a ranged weapon.

But FFG Star Wars certainly over emphasizes Agility.

11 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Depending on the genre, this may not be a problem. Star Wars skills use lots of agility. But I wouldn't expect piloting to play a huge role (if any) in Fantasy, and in such a setting you're as likely (if not more more) to swing a sword or staff than shoot a ranged weapon.

But FFG Star Wars certainly over emphasizes Agility.

Stealth should be Cunning, not Agility.

2 hours ago, 2P51 said:

Stealth should be Cunning, not Agility.

Fair point. Hopefully it won't be so bad when it's ported across different genres.

I don't see it as a huge deal, again, just a tweak. Not that I need them to make it anyway, it's going to be houseruled next campaign so as not to spring it on anyone at the moment after they've invested so much xp in character structure as is.

10 hours ago, 2P51 said:

You are the only person I've ever seen to use the phrase "dump stat" to refer to something that most people will want to put points into. For most people, "dump stat" means something you're unlikely to ever put points into.

I hope that clearer lines are brawn between Cool/Discipline and Perception/Vigilance.

3 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

You are the only person I've ever seen to use the phrase "dump stat" to refer to something that most people will want to put points into. For most people, "dump stat" means something you're unlikely to ever put points into.

In his defense, I can see the reasoning. "Strength is my dump stat. It's the stat that I will be dumping all my resources in to"

*shrugs* I think your definition is the commonly accepted one, but I've seen others use it in the same context as the Pirate.

Edited by kaosoe

I see Stealth as being either/or. Moving stealthily (stepping quietly, not bumping into things, quickly moving between hiding spots) is more Agility, as it requires precise body control. On the other hand, tailing someone without being noticed is more Cunning, as it's more about being clever and adaptable. I also noticed that the reliance on Agility varies greatly depending on the style of game--melee-centric games or characters tend to avoid it in favor of Brawn and Willpower. All in all, Agility may get more emphasis in Star Wars , but it's still balanced compared to other systems, which can have totally useless stats; Agility not being tied to initiative probably helps.

I've already said it twice, but they need to fix vehicles and roll out their defense changes. Oh, and Auto-fire. That's pretty much all I can see that needs to be changed. I think character creation works well enough as is, and the skills are a matter of perspective.

I'd definitely split Agility in half, probably Agility for whole body and Precision for fine tuning.

Most of the game I'd keep, but I'd blow up chargen. Lifepaths or packages or skill talent trees. Something else than the way it is now.

5 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Every time, I have to reread it. Quite confusing.

7 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

I'd definitely split Agility in half, probably Agility for whole body and Precision for fine tuning.

Most of the game I'd keep, but I'd blow up chargen. Lifepaths or packages or skill talent trees. Something else than the way it is now.

Every time, I have to reread it. Quite confusing.

Well, I am a pirate. Sailing the high seas, plundering, drinking rum all hours, violating RPG game mechanic jargon usage guidelines, etc. What can I say, the ladies dig a bad boy.......

I would add multiple attacks rules. Even for high XP characters they can rarely shoot twice. That's a downside imho.

8 minutes ago, rafaelsmoreno said:

I would add multiple attacks rules. Even for high XP characters they can rarely shoot twice. That's a downside imho.

In my pondering of autofire and linked I was thinking maybe multi attack was something anyone should be able to do at all times, and autofire/linked/two weapon, would just make it easier/more effective/etc.

I wouldn't want to much multi shooting. It slows down the combat with extra rolls, and you end up having to balance all your badguys for the probability of being hit by a much more constant barrage.

I favor the way Star Wars does it. A few weapons have the ability, and a few talents here and there in the more combat oriented trees.

The system itself is very solid, the game will mostly succeed/fail based on the content (careers, equipment, etc).

The main thing i would consider is not spending XP at character creation, as has been said the only smart thing to do with it is buy stats.

The stats are very balanced, in most games Agility type stats ARE OP because it buffs attack and defense, not in this system. If anything Brawn is the best combat stat, gives you attack and soak, though i would think it would only become OP in setting with less ranged combat than SW.

I agree that adding extra attacks/actions could really slog the game down. Generally is not a good idea to give extra attacks/actions unless the system has multiple actions already, makes any ability that does so almost auto OP. If the base actions are 2 and you increase it by 1 that's only a 50% boost rather than doubling your actions like it would be in this case. Their already exists a number of ability's that reduce actions to maneuvers or maneuvers to free actions at the cost of Strain, as long as these ability's remain relatively abundant i don't see the need for extra actions (you see haw so much depends on how the Careers are made?).

The balance between Ranged/melee/magic vs armour will really depend on the setting. Ranged dominates the Star Wars system, while magic or melee could be equally matched to armour in a fantasy setting. Equipment stats will vary widely and the relevant talents will really play into the meta of the game.