Effects of the Hunt question

By Bataar, in War of the Ring

The rules don't explain this very well. The rules state:

To confront the effects of a successful Hunt, the Free Peoples player can
either use the Ring (increasing the Corruption of the Ring-bearers) or
fight (which will cause casualties among the Fellowship).
• If he uses the Ring, he advances the Corruption Counter on the
Fellowship Track by a number of steps equal to the Hunt Damage.

Ok, so I'm playing the Shadow and I get a successful hunt and draw a tile with a 3 on it that would do 3 corruption to the Ring Bearer, how can they use the Ring to help? I mean he's going to take corruption anyway so what does he benefit by using the Ring? What is the mechanic for using the Ring? What if the tile drawn is an eye tile?

The three corruption is the effect of using the ring. This can be reduced (or eliminated) by sacrificing a Companion. The corruption will be reduced by a number equal to the Companion's level.

In your example, the FP could choose to take the three corruption. Or he could decide to sacrifice the guide (say, Gandalf) and take no corruption (Gandalf's level is three). Or he could sacrifice a random Companion (say, Gimli) and take one corruption (Gimli's level is two).

If you draw and Eye tile, you inflict corruption eqaul to the number of dice in the Hunt box.

Hope this helps.

klempad said:

If you draw and Eye tile, you inflict corruption eqaul to the number of dice in the Hunt box.

Only in Mordor. Outside Mordor, Eye = # of successful dice rolled in the Hunt.

Ok, cool. It's just worded poorly in the manual. Thanks for the help.

Dam said:

klempad said:

Only in Mordor. Outside Mordor, Eye = # of successful dice rolled in the Hunt.

You're right, of course. Thanks.

It's been too long. sonrojado.gif