Idea for simple skill system

By Tottasu, in Talisman Home Brews

Each character has a primary attribute : strength or craft.

Instead of the original Talisman spell system, there is a skill system where you get skill cards instead of spell cards. You get these skill cards the same way that you would get spells.

Skills:
Martial: Gives advantages in battles and some other stuff.
Arcane: various effects (the vanilla spells without any healing or religious spells)
Religion: healing and "religious" effects
Stealth: evasion and trickery, more often used outside of combat or to avoid the risks of it.

There is one deck of cards for each type of skill card(I'm in the process of making these cards).

You can have an extra skill when you reach 4,7 and 10 in your primary attribute.
Ex: The Bounty Hunter has strength as his primary attribute. At strength 4 he can have his first skill which is a martial skill, at strength 7 he can have his 2nd skill: stealth. Finally, at strength 10 he gets his third an final skill: arcane. Each character has their own set of skills.

I've made some character skill cards in adventure catd size that states each characters primary attribute and their 3 different skills.

This is a work in progress and I haven't tested it at any session yet. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts about this.

received_1516820668360909.jpeg

Are skill cards discarded after use?

I like the idea of single use abilities for each character once you pass a certain attribute level. While they obviously would resemble using a spell, I'm guessing that they are more themed to their character specifically, and potentially much more powerful. E.g. The Assassin could have a single use "Assassination" card that could take 3 lives from a character he lands on. When used, it would then be discarded.

Have you considered maybe using gold or trophies to exchange for a particular skill? E.g. Trade 10 trophy points to unlock "x" skill.

13 hours ago, Bludgeon said:

Are skill cards discarded after use?

Yes, they are discarded the same way you discard a spell.

11 hours ago, Pheonom said:

Have you considered maybe using gold or trophies to exchange for a particular skill? E.g. Trade 10 trophy points to unlock "x" skill.

We are using a experience system where you get experience tokens (works like craft/trophy tokens but can be used to increase either attribute) and allow a trade of 5 tokens for a fate or spell if your craft allows. I think I would just stay with this rule but switch out the spell with a skill card. The way I planned it you "unlock" the skill just by increasing you primary attribute.

Did you mean to unlock a skill that normally could not be used by the character? Then no, but it is an interesting idea that I'll consider. :)

Edited by Tottasu
Misinterpretation
6 hours ago, Tottasu said:

Did you mean to unlock a skill that normally could not be used by the character? Then no, but it is an interesting idea that I'll consider. :)

I suppose my interpretation was that the unlocked skill(s) would be a form of "advanced/super" skill relating to that character, which is what I tried to explain in my Assassin example: " E.g. The Assassin could have a single use "Assassination" card that could take 3 lives from a character he lands on. When used, it would then be discarded. "

That's just my interpretation of your creation though, I'm intrigued to see where you get with things. :)