jonboyjon's Runewars

By jonboyjon1990, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Been slowly making my way through these. Happy to take my time, plus I'm busy trying to do a PhD.

Album link

yYQmFc1.jpg

nX29sR7.jpg

sg7hnUX.jpg

VaIZE6x.jpg

Edited by jonboyjon1990

Looking good

Wonderful photos! Everything looks so sharp!

Finally got around to doing some basing, so have updated OP!

Very sharp! I'd love to see your carrion worm.

Edited by Contrapulator

these look fantastic mate, great job

On 7/4/2017 at 2:20 PM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Been slowly making my way through these. Happy to take my time, plus I'm busy trying to do a PhD.

Album link

yYQmFc1.jpg

nX29sR7.jpg

sg7hnUX.jpg

VaIZE6x.jpg

man lots of people are working on phd's @Muz333 @Elrad and you? thats like a third of the pre release argument...I mean discussion crowd!, FYI the minis look great!

38 minutes ago, jek said:

man lots of people are working on phd's @Muz333 @Elrad and you? thats like a third of the pre release argument...I mean discussion crowd!, FYI the minis look great!

Weirdly my PhD means I actually have more hobby time at the moment. I work from home, so tend to do an hour's painting in the morning before work. And then at the weekends I get up early before the kids and my partner and get a couple of hours in.

In a more 'normal' job I'd be struggling to fit it in.

On 21/07/2017 at 10:10 PM, jek said:

I've finished my PhD. I'm just on a three month training course a few hundred miles from home. Which means I don't have Runewars yet. ☹️

Edited by Muz333

Great minis, there. I hope mine turn out that nice.

P.S. I just finished my Ph.D. in December.

Jealous of @Muz333 and @Parakitor finishing your PhDs! I'm chronically behind and literally don't know how I'm going to finish...

On 7/25/2017 at 7:36 PM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Jealous of @Muz333 and @Parakitor finishing your PhDs! I'm chronically behind and literally don't know how I'm going to finish...

It was hellish, I got a good four papers published but over the four years I was working up to 100 hours a week without a holiday as it was only me to acquire all the data. So much so that I grew to hate science and have since swapped fields all together, although the new job pays about £20k over what a postdoc would have earned me and has a lot job security and scope for promotion so I regret nothing.
Although, I might not get too enjoy all this money as I previously thought. Turns out, surprisingly, I'm going to be a dad now, eep!

Academic research is truly ****, indeed ?. Escaping academia is always great.

@Muz333 glad it worked out for you! I'm going to have to do something similar in terms of workload from here on out, but I've got a 3 year old and a 6 year old so energy and time are precious commodities!

Ok nerds, what are your PhD's in?

Mine is Comp Sci :)

@Glucose98

I'm in the social sciences - mine is about young parents - so it's semi-autobiographical.

Doctor of entomology here. I study pheromones of insects.

13 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Doctor of entomology here. I study pheromones of insects.

So I would think your faction would be the locust horde

So jonboyjon's thread is now "who has Ph.D.s?" Sorry for hijacking your thread!

I successfully defended my dissertation on July 13 with a Ph.D. in Entomology and Insect Science. (Maybe that's why Doombringers are the coolest! ;))

I, too, am abandoning academia after spending the last 3 years focused on building my teaching portfolio to be a full-time biology instructor at the college level. Unfortunately, the dozen or so places I applied for work didn't even want to interview me. But the U.S. federal government is hiring me to identify insects found in shipments coming across the border so that we can protect our ecology and economy from destructive invasive pests. Similar to @Muz333 , I'll be making $20,000 more than many of those academic positions I applied for and will supposedly have better job security as a government employee, so I don't regret this turn of events. And how many other people get paid to ID bugs all day for a living?! Granted, my forum activity will dwindle significantly since I can't access this kind of website on the government network, so I'll just have to check updates at home at night. That will take some getting used to.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, jonboyjon1990 said:

It took me 7 years to finish, which is two years late, according to my program's timeline. There were many times I just wanted to give up and times when I thought there was no way I would have anything worth reporting at the end of it all. But it all came together. And that's with a now 5- and 8-year old, so I totally understand the family time commitment. I don't know everything you're dealing with, but hang in there!

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

So I would think your faction would be the locust horde

Nope! Because his twin brother already claimed that faction! :D

Edited by Budgernaut
On 7/31/2017 at 2:03 AM, Glucose98 said:

Ok nerds, what are your PhD's in?

Mine is Comp Sci :)

My own was in Microbiology, or synthetic biology to be more exact. I basically engineered a strain of yeast with a synthetic genetic network that responded to a chemical gradient, akin to the positional information encoded by morphogens in development, and differentiated in a concentration dependent manner into glowy red or yellow yeast cells.

8 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

My own was in Microbiology, or synthetic biology to be more exact. I basically engineered a strain of yeast with a synthetic genetic network that responded to a chemical gradient, akin to the positional information encoded by morphogens in development, and differentiated in a concentration dependent manner into glowy red or yellow yeast cells.

That sounds ... so impressive! I can't even begin to comprehend where to start on such a project.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

That sounds ... so impressive! I can't even begin to comprehend where to start on such a project.

Learn chaos and non-linear dynamics to do the in silico modelling, learn a bit of engineering to build a microfluidic platform, learn how to program in JAVA to control the system and then just some biology stuff (cloning etc) and publish a few papers. Longest four years of my life!

Anyway I feel guilty for derailing this topic so I hope Jonboy has done some more painting to post a few pics by now! :P

Edited by Muz333
8 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

It took me 7 years to finish, which is two years late, according to my program's timeline. There were many times I just wanted to give up and times when I thought there was no way I would have anything worth reporting at the end of it all. But it all came together. And that's with a now 5- and 8-year old, so I totally understand the family time commitment. I don't know everything you're dealing with, but hang in there!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, at my university in the UK things are far harsher. I have 48 months, no matter what, to finish and submit - the clock is always ticking!

I took 10 years to complete a 7 year degree. If it was a hard timeline like that I wouldn't have finished!

those are great looking minis! the daqan are amazing!