Uncontrolled Geomancer?

By paradox22, in Runewars Tactics

Other than a 2x2 unit of Spearmen backed up by Heroes and /or Golems (that won't take damage from his ability) has anyone figured out an innovative way to use this guy?

It seems like it would be next to impossible to keep your fast moving cav far enough away from him so that they don't take damage.

However, it seems like he would be very effective against large groups of skeletons, if you could screen him and keep him protected.

Like you said. Very effective vs deathstars. Speed 4 nuke follow up with a initiative 3 rally can do a lot of damage.

4 hours ago, paradox22 said:

Other than a 2x2 unit of Spearmen backed up by Heroes and /or Golems (that won't take damage from his ability) has anyone figured out an innovative way to use this guy?

It seems like it would be next to impossible to keep your fast moving cav far enough away from him so that they don't take damage.

However, it seems like he would be very effective against large groups of skeletons, if you could screen him and keep him protected.

I've been meaning to get some games in with this unit now that Lingering Dead has made Reanimates so sticky. What I really want is a way for the unit carrying the Geomancer to be +1 defense so it doesn't wipe out a tray the first time you use it, but so far that's not an option.

Keeping your cav away from the unit shouldn't be too bad. Restricts your deployment and makes you more predictable yes, but it's manageable. As far as supporting units, Rune Golems are a natural fit as you say, and with that level of dependence on Unstable Runes a Greyhaven Channeler would be pretty nice... It's going to be a difficult list to build. Maybe some Fire Runes?

As for usage, I think TallGiraffe has it dead on - the special action taking place AFTER a march means the threat range on this effect is really quite far - especially on those 4 Unstable turns. If you're dialing in an action frequently then your modifier dial isn't as much use, so either Marching or Aggressive Cornicen can help the unit perform normally while still using the Geomancer. A speed 4 charge followed up by the Geomancer is a pretty effective tool, that's for sure.

Another way to increase their Geomancy coverage is to park them in terrain, since you measure from the edge of the terrain it effectively makes your base larger. Of course there aren't that many terrain features that can hold 4 trays, but they'll be down to 2 in no time.

Don't some terrain features grant you a +1 defense bonus? Then you're getting extended range AND taking less damage at the same time. Trouble is, your opponent will know to stay away from it!

Terrain doesnt give you a flat +1defense, which is what you need for this.
Uncontrolled Geomancer is not an attack, so any Fortified or Cover terrain wont help, while a dial's +1 Def mod would. Terrain gives you +1Def depending on the attack, iirc none of them are a flat +1Def all around.

Which unfortunately for the time being kinda kills any chance of upping their armor before self-nuking occurs. If we get an infantry with a +1Def on the main dial and it can be with a skill icon, that would work.

Admittedly i initially misread the card, i thought they took damage equal to the trays in your unit. So i had a list going with a 3x3 suicide unit lol....that would zap itself for 9 damage and probably do little else. Probably the hardest gimick to work with right now, since it largely wont do much except against a giant Reanimate ball.

48 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Uncontrolled Geomancer is not an attack, so any Fortified or Cover terrain wont help, while a dial's +1 Def mod would. Terrain gives you +1Def depending on the attack, iirc none of them are a flat +1Def all around.

Rats! Good catch.

Anyone had any luck with the Geomancer lately? I'm still pondering a list to fit him in and make him effective. I'm thinking I'll screen him with a 2*1 of Golems, maybe 2 of them. He doesn't need line of sight to use his skill and they should take some abuse before falling (as well as dish out some punishment).

I've ran him once and he was hella fun, stopped just shy od engagemeny and nuked a 9tray end of round, then nuked it again, got engaged, lived and nuked it a 3rd time after an attack. Thats 9,7, and 5 dmg (wiffed the attack) from a 4 tray. The rallying horn 4 block beside it also go the beats. It is great fun.

Points for charging past your percieved target to lay the hammer (in that case I was thought tp be after Kari for some reason). Also due to 4 runes caught one of my own in the crossfire one blast, hah.